Decorating & Renovating

L shaped living room/dining room, barf! need tips

hey ladies,

so i just purchased my first home with my husband-to-be (2 weeks from the wedding day, eek!) I know I am getting ahead of myself.. why focus on decor when I've got so much wedding stuff? I'm a huge multi-tasker, that's why..

anyway, in our house the main door entrance takes you in the a living room (the long part of the L) and segways in the short part of the L, which was used formerly as a small dining room. This connects to the kitchen which connects to a family room (which loops back around to the entranceway)

we really don't plan on using the family room, because we are practical people and know that we want our TV above the fireplace in the "formal" living room with a massive sectional-- so comfy. this renders the family room useless. I was thinking of turning the family room into a dining room, but..

a) is a dining room adjacent to the garage entry way disgusting?

b) what to do with the former dining area? If i had to choose, id rather "use" the larger family room over neglecting it.

c) what are other uses for these spaces? any ideas? I'm willing to consider all. 

hope that makes sense! 

Re: L shaped living room/dining room, barf! need tips

• do you have any pictures... that may help a little
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Hello. I've waited here for you. Everlong<3<br>
  • a) is a dining room adjacent to the garage entry way disgusting? I don't see an issue with it. 

b) what to do with the former dining area? If i had to choose, id rather "use" the larger family room over neglecting it. I would put in some large bookshelves and comfy chairs to make it a library, or put a pool table there for a game room, or a desk and bookshelves to make it an office.  There's a ton of possibilities!

c) what are other uses for these spaces? any ideas? I'm willing to consider all.  Depending on the spaces, I would maybe still use the dining room as a dining room and use the family room as suggested above.

You really have a lot of options here, it's more about what you have a need for.  And your needs will change- maybe do a casual reading room/library in the dining room for now, but in 5 years you can turn it in to a playroom, you know what I mean?

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats on your upcoming wedding!  :)  I'm having some trouble visualizing the space in your house -- could you post some pictures?  We put our TV above our fireplace when we moved in a year ago and we're moving it down now.  It just hurts my neck too much to watch it up so high.  So that's something to keep in mind.

How big the is "real" dining room?  Could you use it as more of as a casual eating space (like a breakfast nook) and set up a more formal dining room in the current family room?  You could also use one of the rooms as an office or a playroom if you have kids.

• i love the idea for the library, and considered using it as a study.. but my fiance insists on the library/office upstairs because apparently im a distraction.

also, the tv is far away enough from the sectional i dont think neck cramping would be a problem?!

and, i am ashamed but i cannot figure out how to post pics. it only asks for an image url but i cant upload. ;/~ 

• Where are your computers? You could them in the other part of the L.

(psssst, it's segue)

• image angelicaSD:

i love the idea for the library, and considered using it as a study.. but my fiance insists on the library/office upstairs because apparently im a distraction.

also, the tv is far away enough from the sectional i dont think neck cramping would be a problem?!

and, i am ashamed but i cannot figure out how to post pics. it only asks for an image url but i cant upload. ;/~ 

We have a library downstairs and a study/office upstairs. But then, we turned the formal living room into the library because I have too many books. :-)