Money Matters

Interview in a Coffee Shop - What to Wear?

I know this isn't exactly MMR, but I've lurked on here quite a bit and you seem like a smart group of ladies, so I thought I would ask!

I have a third interview for a position with a local nonprofit coming up this week. The first was in their office and I wore a suit. The second was over the phone with the person who would be my direct manager. She was just hired and hasn't started there yet, but wanted to be involved in the hiring process. She called me the other day and said she would like to meet with me in person, so we set up a time to get together at a coffee shop. I'm not really sure what to expect from this meeting, since the phone interview was 45+ minutes and seemed quite thorough.

What should I wear? I was thinking a suit might be overkill and planning on black pants and a nice top, but now I'm second guessing myself. Also, does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do to prepare? Thanks!

Re: Interview in a Coffee Shop - What to Wear?

• I used to work for an employment agency and would have interviews in coffee shops pretty often.  I think you are on the right track.  I just wanted them to be in appropriate business attire. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image Married8024:

Is it just me or is it kind of weird that someone who hasn't started working there yet is involved in your hiring process?  I get that she will be your boss, I've just never seen a situation like that..

It doesn't surprise me, to be honest. If they'll be working together, I can see why she'd want a hand in picking who will be working for her.

And I'd wear a suit.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Unless you've seemed absurdly overdressed during your prior two interviews or you get the feeling that they'd like you to show that you can be less formal, I'd wear another suit.  Just because you're meeting in a coffee shop doesn't mean this isn't a serious interview.
  • image EastCoastBride:
    image Married8024:

Is it just me or is it kind of weird that someone who hasn't started working there yet is involved in your hiring process?  I get that she will be your boss, I've just never seen a situation like that..

It doesn't surprise me, to be honest. If they'll be working together, I can see why she'd want a hand in picking who will be working for her.

And I'd wear a suit.

When onboarding new management, I think this is pretty common.  They want management to know what it's like hiring and firing in that environment, as well as be involved in choosing their team.

If I were a new manager just coming into this situation, I'd want to be involved too.

• To me, interview = suit, even if it's in a more casual location.
  • I'd wear a suit as well.  I've had a coffee shop interview and appointments, and sometimes they specify that there's no need for a suit.  Since she didn't, err on the side of caution and wear one.

If she makes a comment about how you didn't have to dress up or is super casually dressed, you can always just say that you have another meeting later in the day.

I'd also make sure that whatever shirt you wear underneath can be worn without a jacket (ie not sleeveless or easily wrinkled).  If she is casually dressed and suggests sitting outside in the sun or something, you'll want the option to take your jacket off.

• Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll play it safe and wear a suit. I really like the idea of making sure to wear a shirt that can be worn without the jacket so I'll have the option to take the jacket off.
  • Suit.

Venue doesn't dictate attire here.  Occasion does.

It's still an interview.