Omaha Nesties

Places like LIbby Lu for kids...discuss:

I was reading "I saw your nanny" blog, and there was a thread about a nanny who hates taking her 3 yo charge to Libby Lu for manicures but the mom insists. I do agree 3 seems awfully young and I hate putting fingernail polish on my own girls...but do paint their toes instead....

The comments talked about how places like this over-sexualize small children and teach girls that they are only worth their beauty...and every pediphile is standing outside waiting for the toddlers in slutty clothes and makeup to do their dances....that was the gist anyways of many of the comments.

But can't they also be just fun places for girls to go to? My girls have yet to go. but I can't imagine telling them when they are older "no you can't go with your friend to that place because it will sexualize you and turn you into a slut."

So..just seeing what others think of these places....

Discuss:

Re: Places like LIbby Lu for kids...discuss:

• I personally wouldnt spend the money on it - but then again, we dont have that kind of a budget, so, go figure.

IMO - I grew up in the city. I am desperate to raise my kids on some land, and teach them things that are more important than painted toes - like responsibilites and working hard. But I do enjoy the occasional mani myself. But not for my 3 year old. Maybe when she gets older, then take her to get a manicure as a mommy/daughter outing. Make her feel special. Too much emphasis on looks kinda leads them to a direction of focusing more on that than anything else.

But, I dont have kids yet. I'm going to be the type of mommy that encourages them to play outside in the dirt with sticks rather than inside playing video games and painting nails.

• A manicure will make your daughter no more of a slut than a having a vagina will make her a hooker.

I think it's a bit of a waste of money for a three year old, but if you have the money, by all means, it's yours to spend how you see fit. 

I keep an inch and a half guardrail nut on a loop of 550 cord. It's not whiz-bang tactical, but one smack in the grape and it's coloring books for Christmas.
  • ::spit my water out:::

I've already been accused of making my DD's little sluts for putting them in bikinis....what can I say, I'm selfish and it makes going potty MUCH easier...they can go without my help but require my help with one pieces.  Plus, when else can you have a little  baby fat belly hanging out and a bikini be cute??? 

• The only reason I went to Libby Lu's is to get my daughter's ears pierced.  They do them both at once, which was nice.  Only one major ouch instead of two.  I did not get the pampering done or spend any other money there.  It is WAY to pricey for one and two, she didnt need to do that.  I can paint her nails or do her hair just fine.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am 100% girly-girly and have seen these places, but we can do our nails, hair, etc at home for almost free (someone's gonna have to help her with the makeup part though!).  Plus, I have tons of old "costumes" aka prom, bridesmaid, old dance costumes, costume jewlery (thanks grandma!) for her to use her imagination with.  One of my fondest memories is dressing up in my grandma's curtains and using clothes pins to hold the outfit together.  I want my daughter to have that kind of imagination, not the go somewhere and you are center of attention type.
  • One more comment- I would look into these types of places only for special occasions- birthdays, getting really good grades, graduating or doing something super special once she's a certain and appropriate age.
  • image DandR:

I was reading "I saw your nanny" blog, and there was a thread about a nanny who hates taking her 3 yo charge to Libby Lu for manicures but the mom insists. I do agree 3 seems awfully young and I hate putting fingernail polish on my own girls...but do paint their toes instead....

The comments talked about how places like this over-sexualize small children and teach girls that they are only worth their beauty...and every pediphile is standing outside waiting for the toddlers in slutty clothes and makeup to do their dances....that was the gist anyways of many of the comments.

But can't they also be just fun places for girls to go to? My girls have yet to go. but I can't imagine telling them when they are older "no you can't go with your friend to that place because it will sexualize you and turn you into a slut."

So..just seeing what others think of these places....

Discuss:

My stepdaughter goes with her mom on a regular basis for manicures and pedicures.  She is 8 now.  I think it is a little much, personally.  But she is also, I believe, way to young to be stressed with what she looks like and if her clothes match to the degree she worries about it.  To the point where we have discussion and I have to convince her that khaki pants will go with a certain shirt because it is a neutral and you can where anything with it.  She has been like this for a few years.  She'll make comments that she is not pretty or she is prettier with makeup for baton.  We tell her that she is the prettiest when she is just her as a little girl and you can see the true beauty in her without all of that stuff.  I'm all for teaching your kids to coordinate and care about their looks but it is a little much.  She is also a huge fan of What not to wear.  *Whatever*

• Let me comment though as well.  I love her dearly, I just wish she didn't concern herself with those worries as much as she does and enjoys just being a child.