Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

audio book resources?

I am going to start a new commute and I'll be in the car more than I've been in the past.  I'd like to use it for reading time.  Do you ladies have any suggestions about how to get inexpensive audio books (other than the library) my library has a crappy selection.  I have access to CDs or MP3s on my Ipod.  TIA!
Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: audio book resources?

• Audible.com has a great selection. If you get a subscription the prices seem decent. Fortunately my library has a great selection and I can request books from other branches, so that helps.

Also, librivox provides free audio books from the public domain. So if you're OK with classics, that's a good choice. I've only ever played them from my computer but I think you can download the mp3s, too. Booksshouldbefree and a few other sites definitely do classic audio downloads. Just do a Google search for "free audio books" and you'll get a few sites.

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/34pclz7.png[/IMG]
  • I used to use simplyaudiobooks.com which is like Netflix but for audiobooks.  I did the one book at a time, unlimited rentals a month for something like $18 a month.  The plus for me over audible was that I could get multiple books a month for cheaper and I didn't care about owning them.

Also, I know you said your library has a bad selection but you might check to see if they participate in some type of online audio club. I finally cancelled simplyaudiobooks because my library joined this online audiobook service through Overdrive. The group my library belongs to is a group of Iowa libraries but I'd guess many libraries have something like this.

Here's a link to Overdrive's site where you can enter your zip and find your library. I think it should tell you if any local ones are members.

http://search.overdrive.com/ 

imageimageimage
  • image amyb2332:

I used to use simplyaudiobooks.com which is like Netflix but for audiobooks.  I did the one book at a time, unlimited rentals a month for something like $18 a month.  The plus for me over audible was that I could get multiple books a month for cheaper and I didn't care about owning them.

Also, I know you said your library has a bad selection but you might check to see if they participate in some type of online audio club. I finally cancelled simplyaudiobooks because my library joined this online audiobook service through Overdrive. The group my library belongs to is a group of Iowa libraries but I'd guess many libraries have something like this.

Here's a link to Overdrive's site where you can enter your zip and find your library. I think it should tell you if any local ones are members.

http://search.overdrive.com/ 

I'm so excited!  My library does participate in this!  It must be new.  Thanks!

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Jen748Jen748 member
    Ancient Membership 5000 Comments 100 Love Its Name Dropper
    Are you talking about Mid Continent's selction or KC's? Because if you haven't checked out KC's selection you should. And if you are you within KC limits? If so, you can get access to the KC Public Library and they seem to have a decent selection of audio books.
    Sammie born 04/23/09 (Peanut allergy)
    Emmett born 01/28/2013

2015 Books Read 3 * 2014 Books Read: 151
    2013 Books Read: 90 * 2012 Books Read: 125
    2011 Books Read: 150  * 2010 Books Read: 117

Jennie Writes Words ~~~ We Still Read ~~~ Presidential Challenge