Money Matters

What's the big deal with macarons???

So yes, it is the new "hot" thing and people are raving about them.

Tried a bunch of different flavors from Paulette in Beverly Hills http://www.paulettemacarons.com/  and....they were just so boring. No way that place is staying is business.

Anyone with me here?

Re: What's the big deal with macarons???

• Blech!  I can't stand coconut, so I do not like macaroons at all.  I had no idea that they were the hot thing now.  I liked it so much better when cupcakes were IT!  :o)
  • We have family in Paris that we go visit about 1-2 times per year.  I fell in love with macarons over there, before I ever saw them in the US.  I love the chocolate, vanilla, and praline flavors best.

I really like meringue, which is probably why I enjoy macarons so much.

Does that store sell anything else?  Even Laduree in Paris sells other products.  If they do offer other desserts, I bet they will stay open.

• Kore!Kore!
    10000 Comments Eighth Anniversary

image *wicket*:
    Blech!  I can't stand coconut, so I do not like macaroons at all.  I had no idea that they were the hot thing now.  I liked it so much better when cupcakes were IT!  :o)

I don't think macaroons & macarons are the same thing. I've never had either, though.

• I'm not a fan of coconut.  But if there were macarons with no coconut I might try them. 

ETA: I'm thinking of macaroons. I've never had a macaron if they're different than macaroons.

• image *wicket*:
    Blech!  I can't stand coconut, so I do not like macaroons at all.  I had no idea that they were the hot thing now.  I liked it so much better when cupcakes were IT!  :o)

macaroon

VS.

macaron

• These aren't the macaroons we grew up with (coconut ones). I actually LIKE those. Straight out of the can that arrives on the shelves for Passover. 

These are a Parisian almond cookie - very light.

• I don't get it either, and I've sampled Parisian and American macarons.

Wicket- I think you are thinking of macaroons. I do love a coconut macaroon dipped in dark chocolate- yum.

• image Kore!:

image *wicket*:

I don't think macaroons & macarons are the same thing. I've never had either, though.

Ha!  I didn't click on the link and didn't even notice it was spelled differently.  I must really be out of the loop because I've never seen those around!

• I love macaroons.  I have no idea what macarons are.  Embarrassed
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimage AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• IDK about flavor, but that website is gorgeous.  
    My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

TTC #1 @ 38, Dx: ovulation issues
    15 treatment cycles: c/p 4/11, m/c 12/11 (6w), possible ectopic + MTX 4/12 (7w)
    Another c/p in 12/12

Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

• I have never had those, but they look adorable.  They also look like they would taste pretty boring and dry though.  Almond?  Yawn.
  • I really like the taste of both macaroons and macarons.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image absent*minded:

I don't get it either, and I've sampled Parisian and American macarons.

Same here. I've had them both in Paris and here and wasn't impressed. Maybe it's because they're not sweet enough for me. IDK.

• image Spenjamins:

These aren't the macaroons we grew up with (coconut ones). I actually LIKE those. Straight out of the can that arrives on the shelves for Passover. 

You have to bake them yourself.  I have an awesome recipe if you want it, you will never eat them out of a can again!

FWIW, I thought you meant macaroons too, until I clicked on the link.  I was thinking "well, she's never tried my macaroon recipe."  LOL!

Macarons haven't made their way here yet ... and maybe they never will.

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • I'm surprised so many people don't know what macarons are.  But I agree with you Spenjamins, I don't know what the fuss is either.  I'm not a huge fan of meringue though so that might be part of it. I've tried several different flavors and just, nothing.  Very boring IMO.
  • image shouldbworkin:
    image Spenjamins:

These aren't the macaroons we grew up with (coconut ones). I actually LIKE those. Straight out of the can that arrives on the shelves for Passover. 

You have to bake them yourself.  I have an awesome recipe if you want it, you will never eat them out of a can again!

FWIW, I thought you meant macaroons too, until I clicked on the link.  I was thinking "well, she's never tried my macaroon recipe."  LOL!

Macarons haven't made their way here yet ... and maybe they never will.

I want the recipe!
  • but macaroooooons are made with meringue also.

do they taste similar? 

• I think that they are supposed to be the new cupcake.

I'm not going for it.  Cupcakes 4 evah!!

• image rkto:

but macaroooooons are made with meringue also.

do they taste similar? 

No; coconut macaroons are chewy and delicious.  They just use egg whites as the leavener. Macarons are pretty much just meringue and a flavor.  They're crispier and much lighter.  But more boring.

• I adore macarons.

Macaroons are fuckingnasty.

And Paulette has been open for years.