New Jersey Nesties

Anyone live in a bilevel house?

I've lived in mine 3 years and the temperature has always been an issue. We have 1 heat/air zone so the upstairs is warm and the downstairs is always freezing. In the winter, we had a space heater downstairs. Now with AC on, the downstairs is unbearably cold. Does anyone else have these issues? I wish I had known when I bought the house. Thanks!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone live in a bilevel house?

• We are in a split so kind of the same thing.  I have central air upstairs for my bedrooms so that is its own temperature.  Then I have a big wall unit a/c unit in my DR that cools the 2nd and bottom level.  Weird setup I know.  For heat we have baseboards.

There is a huge difference between the 1st level and 3rd during the winter.  I don't really notice it too much in the summer.

Where in world would you like me to ship you? image My boys - I am so screwed in about 7 years. What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull? LIPSTICK !
  • I'm not in a bilevel but we also have huge temperature differences between the upstairs and down.  It can be 10 degrees different!     

We've put fans in the bedrooms and we keep the doors open at night. It helps but I really, really wish we had dual-zone heating & cooling.   

~ Rebecca

It truly is the most magical place on earth! Disney 2011
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image Mc_Newlywed:

I'm not in a bilevel but we also have huge temperature differences between the upstairs and down.  It can be 10 degrees different!     

We've put fans in the bedrooms and we keep the doors open at night. It helps but I really, really wish we had dual-zone heating & cooling.   

Ditto this (and, my kingdom for dual zone! mistake on our part when installing CAC last year). We're in a garrison colonial (so it looks like a box) and the upstairs is always warmer this time of year. Ceiling fans make a HUGE difference. I can tell as soon as I'm like three steps up whether they're on or not. I also don't close the doors upstairs, so the air keeps circulating.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • MrsDBMrsDB member
    we are in a normal 2 level townhouse and we have that problem too. upstairs in the summer is SWELTERING, while downstairs is nice and cool. I don't think it's so much the style of house, but just that heat rises and cold sinks.
  • We're in a split level w/ no basement so the downstairs floor sits directly on the cement foundation. It's cold down there year-round. In a bi-level, you may have the same where the foundation is also contributing to keeping it cool downstairs.

Upstairs, we can tell where the vents are in the house - one side, where our bedroom and bathroom are, stays toasty warm in winter and cool in the summer w/ the heat and a/c. The other side, where DS's room and our office are, just don't get as warm in winter or as cool in the summer.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We live in a bi-level but for some reason, we have 3 heat zones (also no CAC) but in general, downstairs is considerably cooler during the non dead of winter months.
  • We live in a bi-level and it is like Antarctica downstairs and Hawaii upstairs!  I HATE being hot and welcome the cold ac in the summer, but downstairs is cold even for me!  We don't use the downstairs much now - although once we get the addition done, our master bedroom will be down there... I'd rather that than be too hot... Unless you get a 2 zone system, which we don't have, it is what it is... You can close the vents downstairs - this will force the cold air to go out in the remaining open vents upstairs... seeing that cold air falls, you should still be fine temperature wise downstairs... It's very annoying... I wish I knew this too when we bought 3 years ago... :(
  • We live in a split and have the same issues.  I got these magnetic vent covers to put over the vents becuase even when they are closed some air gets through.  So in the summer we cover the downstairs vents so it doesn't get so cold, and in the winter I cover some of the upstairs vents.  I think I got the covers at BBB.
    image Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We live in a contemporary bi-level, so our upstairs hallway overlooks the living room and isn't closed off like in a colonial.  We asked about getting dual zone in our home, and the A/C guys said there was no point, since the air from downstairs would flow very naturally upstairs.  Of course, we have the same problem as you- it's freezing downstairs and sweltering upstairs.  We keep our ceiling fan going at night, but it doesn't help much.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers