Decorating & Renovating

I hate mattress ads that say to replace your mattress every 8 years

Yes, mattresses CAN double in weight due to skin cells and dust every eight years, but they don't HAVE to.  Not if you vacuum your mattress and use a mattress pad.

Also, lots of mattresses they sell today are dust mite resistant.

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: I hate mattress ads that say to replace your mattress every 8 years

• Plus, it's super wasteful. Mattresses are huge. Can you imagine if everyone was trashing their mattress after 8 years?
  • image OUKatie:
    Plus, it's super wasteful. Mattresses are huge. Can you imagine if everyone was trashing their mattress after 8 years?

I know.  I can't believe that they aren't being attacked for this ad campaign.  It is Mattress Firm BTW.  Maybe the oil spill has distracted all the environmentalists.  

• I kind of wish some people would listen to it, although I do actually agree with you.  I have slept on some really uncomfortable, ridiculously old mattresses in guest rooms, that should have been replaced 10 years ago.

I can't believe the bed that my business partner makes her guest use....it is uncomfortable to sit on, (her guest room is her sewing room and we sometimes work there), and I weigh 80lbs less than some of her guests.   I wouldn't stay there.lol

• image OUKatie:
    Plus, it's super wasteful. Mattresses are huge. Can you imagine if everyone was trashing their mattress after 8 years?

That was my first thought, what a waste!  My mattress is 7 years old and I still think of it as brand new.

• Ew. I never heard that, about mattresses doubling in weight due to skin cells and dust. I will be vacuuming our mattress tonight.
  • DH and I always comment on those ads but you have to look at the source telling you to replace it every 8 years. I don't think we will be replacing ours in 7 years...we have had it a year. So if you should change your mattress every 8 years and you spent around $800 for a mattress that means you are really spending $100/year for your mattress that is crazy I think. But I guess it's what you sleep on and you need quality sleep.

• image bamboo118:
    Ew. I never heard that, about mattresses doubling in weight due to skin cells and dust. I will be vacuuming our mattress tonight.

Ha, it isn't really true if you: change your sheets weekly, use a mattress pad, and vacuum the mattress regularly.  Sorry to gross you out.  You can actually encase your mattress in a dust mite cover if it isn't already resistant to dust mites.  That keeps the skin off and prevents new dust mites.  

• weird. I JUST heard that commercial on the radio this morning. I though oh weird, our mattress is 4 yrs old.. we have to replace it in 4 yrs? I also still think of it as new.. H hates it.. he swears it sags.. i just think he likes to sleep on top of me Confused .. I love it.. i like to snuggle down in the comforter.. omg i wanna go back to bed SO bad. and this talk of mattresses is not helping.
    http://lifeisbeachykeenblog.wordpress.com
  • Well, ours is 5 yrs old and has a very noticeable dip on DH's side (granted, he's a big guy, but this still seems really fast to get this bad), so we'll have to replace it sooner than later. We got a new foam topper that should help  us get another year or two out of the mattress. Not sure what we'll be buying next...but we don't want to spend a lot if the same thing's going to happen in five years.
    The Fluffy Cat says... "Boxes are the best toys ever invented!"
  • I have an awful confession - I probably have the oldest mattress on the nest.  I used it before DH and I got married, but it's in the guest room now.  It's, um, from my mom's first apartment Embarrassed  So circa 1970?  It's 40 years old or so.  It's a Serta Tempurpedic and is really supportive yet soft. 

I really don't care to think about 40 years of dust mites Ick!  Mom and I both are freaks about mattress pads and clean sheets, but still...

• I feel like I've missed some crucial lesson in housekeeping growing up because I've never heard of vacuuming a mattress.

Like, you haul your vacuum on top and stand on the mattress and vacuum it?

• image **sunny**:

I feel like I've missed some crucial lesson in housekeeping growing up because I've never heard of vacuuming a mattress.

lol, i felt the same way when I read that.. Uhm, I don't even have a vacuum @ our new house. It's still @ the old house. We don't have one single stitch of carpet in our house, and I can't think of a reason to keep it. I hate that vacuum. its crap, its a cheapo junk machine from walmart.

http://lifeisbeachykeenblog.wordpress.com
  • image TarHeels&Rebels:

I have an awful confession - I probably have the oldest mattress on the nest.  I used it before DH and I got married, but it's in the guest room now.  It's, um, from my mom's first apartment Embarrassed  So circa 1970?  It's 40 years old or so.  It's a Serta Tempurpedic and is really supportive yet soft. 

I really don't care to think about 40 years of dust mites Ick!  Mom and I both are freaks about mattress pads and clean sheets, but still...

The temperpedic foam doesn't allow for dust mites.  They can't live in it.  You are good to go.

• image **sunny**:

I feel like I've missed some crucial lesson in housekeeping growing up because I've never heard of vacuuming a mattress.

I use the hose and one of the attachments.