Money Matters

@ Too many kids at daycare...WWYD

We've been with an in-home daycare provider since my first DD was born (started at 12 weeks). We LOVE her, she is like a part of the family. I think she takes great care of my girls. My concern is that in my state, licensed in-home providers can take 6 kids full-time. They can also take an additional 4 school-age kids for after-school/summer hours. So summer is starting and in additon to the six toddlers/babies she has, she also has 4 school-age kids. So, ten kids. I think this is just too many. In past summers, she's had her teenage daughter helping, but this summer, her daughter has a full-tme nanny job.

I am not sure what to do. She is within her rights to take these kids, but it just seems like too much to handle for one person. She is great and capable but even the msot focused adult can't watch 10 kids at once.

I could talk to her, but what could I really say beyond sharing my cocerns? I could move the girls, but I would lose my spot and lose this wonderful daycare provider. On the MM side, she is very reasonably priced and a center would be much more and take a hit on our budget.

So...I'm feeling stuck. One other thing - she has an above ground pool. I plan to tell her that my girls are not allowed in the pool b/c I really do NOT feel safe with that, how could she watch 10 kids in a pool?

Thanks for any advice.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: @ Too many kids at daycare...WWYD

• She's within the regulations for your state, so I don't think that there is anything she HAS to do to comply with your request for lower numbers.  (And honestly, why would she?  Are you going to pay her more to make up for that loss of income?)  I think that you need to decide whether you're uncomfortable with the situation and want to leave, or can make peace with it and stay.  If you're staying, definitely ask about the pool - maybe she doesn't even plan to take kids in.
  • My in-home daycare provider also has a pool, but she doesn't take any of the kids in it. That's something I would not be comfortable with either.

image "Evolutionary game theorists...ignoring beebees on the nest since 2005"
  • Is the above ground pool fenced and covered? Does it have an alarm? That would be a major concern right there.

Even if she doesn't plan to take them in the pool (I agree, your LO should not be in there with 1 adult to 10 kids), you need to make sure the pool is properly secured to prevent any LOs from wandering up to it and drowning.

10 kids some seem like an insane amount. How old are these extra summer kids? Does she plan to find someone else to help out with the extra kids since her daughter is unavailable?

I understand that money is tight and daycare centers are expensive. And yes she's a nice enough provider, but honestly - your LO's safety is # 1.

I would express your concern about so many kids. Even though it's within state regulation, I would ask her if she's considering finding another high school student to help her over the summer. If she doesn't find additional help, I would absolutely look at other options.

• I would not be comfortable with that many kids either. I think you should bring up your concerns and ask your daycare provider if there is anyway she can bring in a helper for the summer. I'm sure she is great at what she does, but you're right, that is a lot of kids for one person.
  • You have to decide if it's worth it to you.  There is nothing you can do if it's legal.  I have 3 kids...I can't imagine giving adequate attention/care to 6 babies/toddlers alone much less 4 more kids.  No way I would be comfortable w/ it but that's just me.
  • I would offer to pay more so that she could hire someone (maybe a student who wants the experience?) to help out over the summer. I'd also try to talk with some of the other parents to see if they share your concerns--maybe everyone would be willing to pay more.

• I would express concern - you signed up for her daycare because your daughter would receive at least 1/6th of her attention.  She also had extra care last summer to help with the "overflow" of 4 extra kids.  Now she does not, so your daughter is getting 1/10th, or less, of her attention.  If nothing else I think she should reduce her rates to all kids during the summer if she does not bring in extra help.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012
  • I would not feel comfortable with that many kids for one adult. I would talk to her about your concerns but she probably isn't going to do anything. I would look for another option for summer and take a hit on your budget unfortunately.
  • image theintended:

I would offer to pay more so that she could hire someone (maybe a student who wants the experience?) to help out over the summer. I'd also try to talk with some of the other parents to see if they share your concerns--maybe everyone would be willing to pay more.

there is no reason for anyone to pay more. she's getting 4 addtl kids paying summer rates - part of that extra money should go towards a high school helper.

• I would express my concerns.  If she did not get extra help I would pull my kids and put them in a center or another daycare with a better ratio - even if it cost more.
  • Unfortunately I don't think you have any recourse, but it doesn't hurt to express your concerns and ask whether she has plans to hire a summer helper.
  • image **sunny**:
    image theintended:

I would offer to pay more so that she could hire someone (maybe a student who wants the experience?) to help out over the summer. I'd also try to talk with some of the other parents to see if they share your concerns--maybe everyone would be willing to pay more.

there is no reason for anyone to pay more. she's getting 4 addtl kids paying summer rates - part of that extra money should go towards a high school helper.

Just wanted to say your daughter is beautiful!!  Her eyes are amazing!

• I'd look into the ratios at daycares in your area. At the daycare I worked at I had about 10 in my group and they were elementary school aged. I know the younger classes were pretty similar, maybe 8 kids to one teacher.
    Mom to:
    Miles (6 year old Maine C00n mix), Boots (5 year old Lab mix), Darla (4 year old GSD/Collie mix), Frankie (1.5 year old DSH mix), Peanut (15 months old - 09/11), and Bean (arriving Feb 2013).