Money Matters

Cheapest place to buy hamburgers/hot dogs in bulk?

I'm organizing a surprise bday BBQ for my partner in August.  We're expecting between 20-25 guests.

I know my mom has a Costco membership and was wondering if that would be my cheapest option for buying hamburgers and hot dogs for that amount of people.  

Any Costco members who know general prices on this stuff?  Or have any other suggestions on where to buy bulk grilling food?

Re: Cheapest place to buy hamburgers/hot dogs in bulk?

• we just bought 7 pounds of 90/10 for $16.00 at sams club and ball park hot dogs were 36 dogs for $5 

• image almost-Mrs.Thor:

we just bought 7 pounds of 90/10 for $16.00 at sams club and ball park hot dogs were 36 dogs for $5 

Excuse my ignorance (I don't eat meat), but is the 7 lbs in hamburger patties or just ground beef that needs to be made into patties?

And how many people do you think 7 lbs would feed?

Thanks for the suggestion.  I guess I would have to find someone with a Sam's Club membership though ...

• KaieneKaiene
    10000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 25 Love Its Combo Breaker
    I would think so.  Does your grocery store sell in bulk?
    Visit The Nest!
    5 cats. 1 baby.Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Do you have a restuarant supply store that is open to the public in town?  We find that meat is generally cheaper there than anywhere else and is good quality.
  • image Kaiene:

To be completely honest, I have no idea.  I haven't eaten meat in almost 5 years, so I will admit I'm super unaware of what my grocery store sells by way of meat.

We have an Aldi near us, and I know they have great prices on other products.  I'm not sure about their quality of meat though.  But I'm going to check it out.

• KaieneKaiene
    10000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 25 Love Its Combo Breaker
    image cole.23:

image Kaiene:

To be completely honest, I have no idea.  I haven't eaten meat in almost 5 years, so I will admit I'm super unaware of what my grocery store sells by way of meat.

We have an Aldi near us, and I know they have great prices on other products.  I'm not sure about their quality of meat though.  But I'm going to check it out.

I've eaten meat from there before.  I think it tends to be frozen, not fresh, but it definitely is cheap.

Visit The Nest!
    5 cats. 1 baby.Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image cole.23:
    image almost-Mrs.Thor:

we just bought 7 pounds of 90/10 for $16.00 at sams club and ball park hot dogs were 36 dogs for $5 

Excuse my ignorance (I don't eat meat), but is the 7 lbs in hamburger patties or just ground beef that needs to be made into patties?

Thanks for the suggestion.  I guess I would have to find someone with a Sam's Club membership though ...

We bought ground beef because I like to add seasoning to the burger but you can buy the already made burgers too.

7 pounds made about 20 - 25 burgers.  We also had brats and hot dogs, this fed about 25 people  

• I don't eat meat either but I know my grandma raves about the cheap prices on meat at WinCo.
    When life hands you lemons, you throw them back in life's face and say "F*ck you, I want some Orange juice, B!tch! Make it happen!"

The Blog
  • image almost-Mrs.Thor:
    image cole.23:
    image almost-Mrs.Thor:

We bought ground beef because I like to add seasoning to the burger but you can buy the already made burgers too.

7 pounds made about 20 - 25 burgers.  We also had brats and hot dogs, this fed about 25 people  

Great.  Thanks for the suggestion!  I feared I would be shelling out $100 for this meat (apparently I'm delusional).

• image UnderAtree:
    I don't eat meat either but I know my grandma raves about the cheap prices on meat at WinCo.

I've never heard of WinCo.  Upon investigation, I see these stores are only located in 6 states, none of which are mine.  Which is definitely a downer, as I love the employee owned idea!  Thanks for the heads up though.

• Cosco and Sams Club are essentially the same type of store.  Go with your mom.  They sell in bulk.
  • DNK777DNK777
    Fifth Anniversary
    I haven't been there recently, but Gordon Food Service had the best prices when I looked a few years ago.  I don't know if you would have one of those.  www.gfs.com
  • BJ's is also another good option. They're like Cosco/Sam's Club, but most of the time you can get a "free" trial membership. There's no automatic renewal (they don't take your credit card info) but at checkout you pay an additional 5% on top of what you've bought. Even still we've gotten hotdogs and frozen hamburgers (they also have ground meat in bulk), and the buns for far less than we'd normally pay at a supermarket. Also, if you've got any manufacturer's coupons they take them as well.
  • For $100, you could serve beef tenderloin, not hot dogs and hamburgers. Wink

We go to Costco more for quality than price. Even for burgers and dogs, I'd rather not serve food that is the absolute cheapest I can buy, especially for a party.

• image uncannycanuck:

For $100, you could serve beef tenderloin, not hot dogs and hamburgers. Wink

We go to Costco more for quality than price. Even for burgers and dogs, I'd rather not serve food that is the absolute cheapest I can buy, especially for a party.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  If I can go to Costco and get burgers and hot dogs in bulk for a cheaper price than our traditional supermarket and not feed guests questionable meat (no good can come from that, ever), I will feel mildly successful in this endeavor.

• Costco has good quality meat for a good value. I know their organic beef is $4.99 a lb and I'm sure the non organic is  a bit less.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  •  I know that the shoppers warehouse (discount grocer) near us has like bulk packages of 50 hotdogs for like $7 or something ridiculous. You might want to check out the discount grocers around you.
    image, image