Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Cats

edited August 2013 in Pets

Re: Cats

• Z/D is a Science Diet formula, right?  Even though they are "vet prescribed," they're the equivalent of feeding your cat McDonald's three meals a day.  Check out dogfoodanalysis.com and choose a food that's four stars or better--it's all dog foods, but if a brand makes a good dog food, their cat foods will be good as well.  

As far as chewing--keeping those things picked up and out of the way was our best solution.  You could also look into cord protectors or Bitter Apple spray.

two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • If you want to feed them different food set feeding times. Put them in separate rooms and give them about 15 minutes to eat. You'll have some hungry kitties at first, but they will quickly learn to eat when the food is out. You will be able to feed them different foods and different amounts based on their needs.

As for the wires, have you tried bitter apple?

[url=http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21923163] Emmett, An Adoptable English Bulldog/Beagle Mix [/url]
  • edited August 2013
  • edited August 2013
  • I feed my cats (and dogs) twice a day.

Bitter apple spray is bitter tasting and discourages chewing. I think it might come in different flavors since some pets don't mind the apple. I think they sell it at many major pet stores.

[url=http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21923163] Emmett, An Adoptable English Bulldog/Beagle Mix [/url]
  • Yeah, unfortunately nutritional education for vets is way behind the times, and provided by very biased food companies.  We used to feed Science Diet, too, so don't feel bad!  Orijen, California Naturals, Acana, Taste of the Wild and Blue Buffalo all are pretty good foods, if you're looking for a starting place.  If your cat has allergies, some of those brands have limited ingredient foods that may help him to feel better.

Bitter Apple is a spray you can buy at most pet supply store that tastes/smells bad to cats.  It helps keep them from chewing things.  I've also heard Tabasco sauce works. 

two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • KaieneKaiene member
    10000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper

I have been told cats hate the smell of citrus also.

http://www.petfoodratings.net/cattable.html

This link will take you to the cat food ratings.  Just an FYI, Natura (who makes California Naturals and I think Wellness) was bought out by P&G (who makes Iams) recently.

Visit The Nest!
    5 cats. 1 baby.Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker