Decorating & Renovating

How long does paint stay good?

We've been living in our house for a little over 4 years. The previous owner left behind any extra paint for the rooms she painted before we moved in. We just did some renovating in one of the bedrooms. Think I can use the paint she left behind for touch up work (which is at least 4 years old now, maybe older)? Would I be better off buying new paint in the same color, or do you think I'll just have to repaint the whole room (even though it's just one wall we need to repaint)?

I opened up the paint can and it looks like it's separated/settled, but do you think I can shake it/stir it really well and have it still work?

BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | no heartbeat 11/7/11 at 8w3d (baby measuring ~7 weeks)
D&C 11/14/11 - Goodbye, little June Bug

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | Good betas 8/22 & 8/25 | strong heartbeat 9/17/12 @7w1d
Perfect A/S 12/11/12 @ 19w2d - it's a BOY!

our blog

BabyFetus Ticker

PGAL March siggy challenge - Pet shaming.

Re: How long does paint stay good?

• It should be fine as long as you stir it really well.  Make sure you stir all the thick stuff off the bottom...pull the stir stick up and around, like you're beating an egg for scrambled eggs.

I've had to do this numerous times lately as I pull out every paint can to touch stuff up around the house.

• You can use it: Take it to a paint store (HD or lowes) and ask them to shake it for you.

I've used paint older than that and for touch ups it was ok. One thing to keep in mind is the colors may not match perfectly as the one currently on the walls may have faded.
    Wife. MoM {1G + BBG triplets}. DIY'er. Cloth Diaper'er.
  • I just used some 5 year-old paint to touch up part of a wall I repaired, and it went on great and matches perfectly. I took it to HD for them to shake, but the guy said they wouldn't put it in the machine because the can was rusty, and they'd already had several rusty cans explode that day! So he just shook it really well by hand, which I guess you could do yourself if the lid is on securely.

28 years baby free!

[My Bio] [LolaBlog]