Entertainment
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Crazyheart Review (no spoilers)

We got Crazyheart via Netflix this week. This is a review and I feel that is is not a spoiler and does not give more away than you might see in a trailer or in any other review of the movie.

It is the story of an alcoholic has-been country singer who is angry at the world for being broke and miserable.  He lays blame on everyone else, and when he has a slight glimmer of happiness on his horizon, it is very shaky ground to keep it together due to his alcoholism.

I felt that some of the relationships in the movie were a bit weak in portrayal.  For example, there is very little time spent explaining the relationship of Bad Blake and Tommy Sweet and their past together (with Bad as Tommy's mentor).  It's kind of hard to imagine.  Also, the relationship of Bad and his love interest--I didn't really see how it became as intense as it seemed in the movie.  A lot was left to the imagination.

But--the intensity of the emotions and the amazing acting and the incredible score of the movie--made it truly deserving of all of its acollades.

Jeff Bridges' portrayal of Bad Blake is sincere, difficult to watch at times, intense, and convincing.  You feel for him, feel with him in his ups and downs, root for him and want to yell at him and say DON'T DO THAT.  You love him, you hate him.  He was awesome.

The supporting actors were incredibly cast (Maggie Gyllenhaal was superb), but the real star was the music.  Even if you don't love country music, you can feel the power of the songs and the lyrics truly tell the life story of Bad.  There is a huge turning point in the movie towards the end where he is singing in the local bar in Houston and the tone of his music changes.  It was a significant shift, and my heart felt broken and hopeful at the same time, as I'm sure that's how Bad was feeling too.  At the very end of the movie, I had a very strong delayed reaction, where I just sobbed and laughed at the same time.  I had been so involved with the characters, so deeply connected to their experiences, that my own mixed emotions very likely mirrored those of the characters.  Perhaps you aren't as much as a sap as me and don't cry at the drop of a hat in movies, but if you are--keep the box of tissues close by!

I highly recommend seeing this movie if you haven't already, and while I'm not a professional movie reviewer and have not read other reviews (I hope they are similar because it deserves all of the positive reviews it can get!), I was so moved by this movie that I had to shout it from the rooftops.  

Re: Crazyheart Review (no spoilers)

• Thanks for the review!  I had just put this movie in my queue earlier today!
    Food Blog . WC Nestie Blog List
    [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/TPOX/prius-v][IMG]http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-us/103724.png[/IMG][/URL]
  • Good analysis but I disagree with the recommendation to see it.  I thought it was horrible and couldn't even sit thru the whole thing.  To me it was a remake of the Wrestler as a country star.  Sorry, but just my opinion.

Oh and the female lead was way too young and hot for him.