Entertainment
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

The Wire (NS please)

I've heard SUCH good things about this show for years, so H and I got the first season. We're on episode 3 and just can't get into it AT ALL. Tell me it gets better and when please!

Re: The Wire (NS please)

• MH really liked it - he liked the storylines, and from what he told me the show gets more interesting as it gets further in.

I caught a few episodes here and there with him and I liked some of them, but honestly I couldn't sit and watch it. I'm not a fan of dramas to begin with (I don't even watch much TV, and even then it's mainly just sitcoms and Adult Swim-style cartoons), plus there was a whole lot of cursing and sometimes a lot of violence. I'm not a prude, but that's just not my idea of entertainment.

• NSLNSL member
    Ninth Anniversary
    It really does get better as the season goes on, and you'll be grateful for those first slower episodes when all the storylines start to converge.  Stick with it and you won't be disappointed!
    28/100
    LittleL 8/10/07
    Baby E 11/27/10

Check out my makeup and reading blog:
    Books and Beauty
  • It does! It took us about 4-5 episodes of the first season to get into it. After that, we were hooked. One of the best TV series ever (IMHO). I'm still sad that it's no longer on!
  • After hearing my brother rave about this show, as well as some friends, DH and I started watching it earlier this year. It did take me 4-5 episodes of the first season to get into it, but now we are in the middle of season 3 and absolutely love the show. You can get so involved with the characters throughout the show, and they do a good job of expanding on the stories as the seasons go on. One thing I found about watching the show, is you really have to watch. I tend to browse the internet while watching tv sometimes, and found with The Wire I really have to watch and pay attention because they cram so much into every episode. Keep watching and see if you can get into it after a few more episodes - we really think it's one of the best shows ever on TV. I am notorious for taking half of the first season of a show to get into it, and I'm so glad I keep going with the Wire.
    Vacation Vacation image
    Our two girls - Chenoa and Maddie
  • Thanks guys!  H and I promise we're giving it at least six episodes before we give up and it sounds like that's when it starts to get good.
  • Episode 4 or 5 is where everything you've already watched finally makes sense.

The thing is, you have to think of the first season as a 13-hour-long movie, not 13 hour-long episodes. Nothing wraps up in a nice, neat bow at the end of each episode like everything you've ever seen on network TV does.

fiizzlee = vag ** fiizzle = peen ** Babies shouldn't be born wit thangs ** **They're called first luddz fo' a reason -- mo' is supposed ta come after. Yo Ass don't git a medal fo' marryin yo' prom date. Unless yo ass is imoan. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Then yo ass git a all-expenses paid cruise ta tha Mediterranean n' yo ass git ta hook up Jared Padalecki on tha flight over while bustin yo' jammies. But still no medal.
  • I agree with the posters that say ep 4 or 5 is where it's at. It's been a long time since I watched it, but I recall being not as interested in the first few episodes. However, by the time season 4 rolled around, we were so hooked we made a midnight run to a video store to get the very last disc in that season. Embarrassed Enjoy!

• image ad52905:
    It does! It took us about 4-5 episodes of the first season to get into it. After that, we were hooked. One of the best TV series ever (IMHO). I'm still sad that it's no longer on!

ITA.  It was recommended by a friend and she had to convince us that it would pick up.  Yes, there is violence, but that's necessary - the show is trying to introduce you to that world.  I'm so glad we stuck it out.  We're about to start the least season and I'll be sad to see it go!  

• image Chicklit:
      However, by the time season 4 rolled around, we were so hooked we made a midnight run to a video store to get the very last disc in that season. Embarrassed Enjoy!

Dude, The Wire? Televised heroin (she says as she taps her inner elbow, looking for a vein).

fiizzlee = vag ** fiizzle = peen ** Babies shouldn't be born wit thangs ** **They're called first luddz fo' a reason -- mo' is supposed ta come after. Yo Ass don't git a medal fo' marryin yo' prom date. Unless yo ass is imoan. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. Then yo ass git a all-expenses paid cruise ta tha Mediterranean n' yo ass git ta hook up Jared Padalecki on tha flight over while bustin yo' jammies. But still no medal.
  • image ad52905:
    It does! It took us about 4-5 episodes of the first season to get into it. After that, we were hooked. One of the best TV series ever (IMHO). I'm still sad that it's no longer on!
    All of this. Definitely give it a few more episodes!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersimage
  • H and I were late to the party on this as well.  We did Seasons 1 and 2 last year.  On Season 3 this year.  Sooooo good.
  • We finished episode five now and it's getting easier to enjoy already.  I think it's just really hard keeping all of the characters straight. 

"Okay, is Matthew Abaddon from LOST Daniels... or Burrell?"

Now that we're seeing the same people and know who they are, it's easier to keep them straight.

• Omar Little might be one of the best characters ever created. Not sure when he was introduced, though.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersimage
  • My husband and I also watched the show on DVD.  I have to agree that the first few episodes of season 1 did not grab.  Give it a few more and you'll realize the show is very addicting. 

I'm so glad I watched them all.  I was sad when we finished.  Omar is one of the deepest and most complex characters on a tv show.  His code is hilarious.