Entertainment
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Hating a show (or movie, etc.) retroactively

I read this post by my favorite TV critic today and thought it was an interesting idea...basically that sometimes a show or movie franchise gets so bad that it makes you not only dislike the show anymore, but also start hating the earlier episodes that you may have liked at first.  The example the critic uses is SATC (which I haven't watched, so I'm only going by his opinion), where he says the movies have ruined any sort of respect he had for the show when it first aired, so much that he can't watch earlier episodes anymore without hating Carrie Bradshaw.

Do any of you have any examples like this?  Maybe with LOST, for example? Wink

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Hating a show (or movie, etc.) retroactively

• The Office.  It has jumped the shark and now when I watch a rerun it is not as funny and witty as it once was.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I liked Carrie at the beginning of SATC - by season 4 or so, I was DONE with her.  She made me want to throw things at my TV.

I still enjoy early Friends, but they got dumb near the end, too, and the Ross/Rachel thing was also ridiculous.  I was mad when she didn't go to Paris!  Them having a baby together seemed so forced.

Oh, and I can't even talk about LOST - that still hurts.  I have decided that as brilliant as the show was the first few seasons, I will NOT ve rewatching the entire series.  DEFINITELY no box set purchases there.

• Clearly there are a lot of people who feel this way, but I don't get it.  There's always a lot of concern that a sequel or a reboot or a movie version will 'ruin the original."  I don't think the quality of a follow-up has any bearing on the quality of the original.

But, if you find flaws in a follow up (like the SATC movie) it may be easier to see the flaws that were always there but you overlooked in the original. 

Lost, for example, only seemed brilliant to me in the first few seasons because I believed the writers had a plan for the show.  Now that I don't believe that to have been the case (and I did read the article below...still not buying it) it does kind of cheapen the earlier episodes.  Still well written television, though.

3 out of 4 dead babies agree! pepsi is better than coke! - EdithBouvierBeale
    Lordy. Grow some balls and stop lurking. It's like stealing from the internet. Jesuschrist. -- AudreyHorne
    I hate love and marriage. I got married so I could destroy these things from the inside. - NoisyPenguin
    It's a good thing my circle of trust is as giant as my vagina. That only leaves a couple people out. - Cali
  • John & Kate + 8.  I used to really enjoy watching the early episodes.  After the divorce I wouldn't even watch the reruns.  Now the promos for the new Kate + 8 makes me want to vomit.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Heroes did it for me. Every season I progressively hated the show until I was completely disgusted. Too bad nothing will ever be as good as the first season.
  • I agree on SATC.  I hated the later episodes (what was with the constant screaming by Carrie?). 

On a side note, although I hated the first movie, I had a great time watching the movie with my friends--we drank every time there was an obvious product placement.  Needless to say, we were pretty plastered by the end.  I'm looking forward to doing this with the second movie.

[IMG]http://i51.tinypic.com/2eb8fet.jpg[/IMG]

Tales of Bridal Alterations
  • Will & Grace - By the end I was so irritated: another new episode, another new guest star.  Fun for a while and then just lame.

One Tree Hill - Just end it already 

7th Heaven - It got bad and then they had the nice, very cheesy, but nice finale and then they brought it back for one more year! 

imageimageimage
  • image duncanpowers:
    Heroes did it for me. Every season I progressively hated the show until I was completely disgusted. Too bad nothing will ever be as good as the first season.

This.  DH and I gave up mid season 2.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Napoleon Dynamite

I don't hate it but I really enjoyed it when it first came out.  I saw it with my DH in an empty theater it's opening weekend and loved it (we saw it again the next week).  Cut to months later, it's still in the theater and everyone on the planet has seen it and quoting every line and the merchandising was everywhere you turned.  Made me a little sad inside.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't think I've really experienced this.  Sure I disliked the final season of Gilmore Girls as the writing just was not the same, at all.  Plus we never got the original intended ending, but the send off was still emotional and I still LOVE the first 5 seasons.  

I really loved the Lost finale, while the final season dragged a bit, I was very happy with the way it ended.  I don't care about all the mystery stuff, it was always about the relationships for me.  

and as bad as the SATC 2 movie was, I still enjoy the old episodes.  Never like Carrie, I am so much more like Miranda and Charlotte.  

I have quit watching shows though, for example ER, Heroes, American Idol.   

Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • image kickin*wing:
    John & Kate + 8.  I used to really enjoy watching the early episodes.  After the divorce I wouldn't even watch the reruns.  Now the promos for the new Kate + 8 makes me want to vomit.

I couldn't think of a good example until this.  Yeah, the later insanity has really colored the cute innocence of the first season.

My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • image mbgreenwalt:
    The Office.  It has jumped the shark and now when I watch a rerun it is not as funny and witty as it once was.

This. I can't even watch it and think its funny. I used to LOVE the office now if its on its just like 'meh'  

• I'm not a huge TV fan, but I feel this way about some bands. Like Kings of Leon or The Chili Peppers. I loved their early albums so much, but now... it's just a reminder of how far they've fallen.
  • I'm starting to feel this way about Bones. The first few seasons were awesome, but it's just going downhill lately. Seems as if the writers are grasping at straws.
  • Hi. I've only posted here a couple of times, but your topic is really interesting.

I used to kind of feel that way about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. For a long time, I refused to acknowledge season 6 existed. :P I still think it was the weakest season (and some episodes are just too painful to ever rewatch), but now that a lot of time has passed. I can watch the older episodes and still love them without thinking too much about the awfulness to come. But then, I really loved that show.

I find that with older shows I really love, I can still go back and find the charm in their early episodes. (SATC is a good example, but I won't be seeing the movies because I'm just not interested anymore.) With newer shows, it takes some time to get over it when they go sour and if I never loved them that much in the first place (The Office, Friends) then I'm not that likely to go back and watch the eps anyway. 

• Unfortuneately I'm going to have to add SNL to the list of shows that have gotten worse.

I'm sorry the show has gone drasticly down hill since the late 90's/early 2000's when all the funny actors (ie Medows, Katan, Shannon, Oterri, etc) started leaving. I know there have been several casts for this show and there is pretty much a completely new cast every 5-10 years or so, but in the past the show has stayed pretty consistantly entertaining. Unfortuneatly this new cast isn't funny as an ensemble, seprately perhaps (as a kid I used to be a fan of Keenan Thompson when he was on Nickelodeon's "All That") but not together.

• image AmyInOly:

Napoleon Dynamite

I don't hate it but I really enjoyed it when it first came out.  I saw it with my DH in an empty theater it's opening weekend and loved it (we saw it again the next week).  Cut to months later, it's still in the theater and everyone on the planet has seen it and quoting every line and the merchandising was everywhere you turned.  Made me a little sad inside.

Never really liked that movie, my brothers loved it but it was so stupid I lost interest after about the first 20 min when I fell asleep. (I did the same with Titanic, after about the first 30 min I was bored with the movie and fell asleep.)

• image Chicklit:

I used to kind of feel that way about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. For a long time, I refused to acknowledge season 6 existed. :P I still think it was the weakest season (and some episodes are just too painful to ever rewatch), but now that a lot of time has passed. I can watch the older episodes and still love them without thinking too much about the awfulness to come. But then, I really loved that show.

I'm with you on Season 6 - I really wish we could have skipped right over it.  However, most of Season 7 was really good.

The show took a very dark turn though around the time her mom died.  I kinda missed the lighter, funnier episodes.  But, what do I know?  I actually liked the Initiative and Riley.