Des Moines Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

*mrstice*

I just saw your response in a post below and wanted to answer you without it being lost :)

image mrstice:

You've already gotten great advice, and since he's bigger he'll naturally want to eat more than a 7 lb baby. (By the way, just totally curious, do you know what his gestational age was at birth? Was he a well-cooked baby like mine?)

I was 40w6d when I had him.  I was a little nervous about being induced so 'soon' without giving him a little more opportunity to come on his own... but now I am SO GLAD I didn't go any more over!

You were almost 2 weeks over your EDD weren't you?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Married 10.11.08
Baby LJ 05.21.10
TheRookieChef.com

Re: *mrstice*

• Gestational age is different, it's a series of tests the do on the baby to determine, well, length of gestation. For example, muscle tone, reflexes, amount of vernix, etc.

I was induced at 41 weeks 6 days with Oli, but his gestational age was only 41 weeks - meaning their dating wasn't correct for me.

Finn was born at 41 weeks 6 days according to my midwife's dating, and his gestational age was 42 weeks - so her dating was right on for me.

• Uhh, then I have no idea.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Married 10.11.08
    Baby LJ 05.21.10
    TheRookieChef.com
  • *butting in* Gestational age is also very subjective, a lot of doctors don't do it anymore. I know at Mercy we only do it now if the patient had absolutely no prenatal care, so if its the same at Methodist they may not have even done it Molly.
    TTC #1 since Sept '09 Dx: Severe MFI/Azoo
    IVF w/ICSI - transferred 2; froze 3
    Beta #1 150 Beta #2 320 - 7/16 124 bpm (6w5d) EDD 3/6/13 
    Our team green baby was a girl! Emma Lynn born 2/23/13

my read shelf:
    Janelle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • image BabyRN2006:
    *butting in* Gestational age is also very subjective, a lot of doctors don't do it anymore. I know at Mercy we only do it now if the patient had absolutely no prenatal care, so if its the same at Methodist they may not have even done it Molly.

This is true. The most accurate dating you can get of a pregnancy (unless certain infertility treatments are involved) is that first ultrasound, taken around 6-10 wks at the Lakeview/Methodist group, so I assume you had one?  At, say 8 weeks, nearly every single fetus is the exact same size b/c factors like genetics and maternal nutrition, haven't weighed in.  So, when they see a fetus of a specific length, they can be quite certain on the date of conception.  Measurements taken after the baby is born are much more affected by the fetal environment, genetics, etc.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • yeah, i don't think they really make a big deal of it, they did it for Oli at Methodist but didn't tell me, I just found out by reading my file (plus, what are they gonna do, say "Oh, the test shows he's only 37 weeks, let's put him back!" Stick out tongue)

(sidenote: has anyone else requested their file + nurses notes? i know i'm weird, but i found it pretty cool, i was so in my 'zone' during labor that i had no idea what time it was, when they upped/lowered the pitocin, etc. and i thought it was neat to read exactly how things went)

anyway, for me it was kind of a 'fun fact'.

• haha! Very true - oops, we thought this one was a little more done, let's shove her back in!  It does make a person wonder if any doctors have gotten in trouble after the fact (when they do the gestational test) for inducing if they didn't have the pregnancy accurating dated and they induced early.  If I had been induced on my supposed due date based on my last missed period, G would have been 3-4 wks early.  Thankfully I had that early ultrasound to tell them I ovulated really late so there was no pressure to get her out at the end.

I didn't request my file, but now I am kind of interested. Perhaps I will this time.  Is it something they have to give you for free?

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • image All-His:

I didn't request my file, but now I am kind of interested. Perhaps I will this time.  Is it something they have to give you for free?

yep - i just had to request it in writing, i cant remember what department i went to. make sure you ask specifically for the nurse's notes too, that's where all the good info is! i had requested them and they still didn't send them with my file so i had to call them again.you could probably still get your file and notes from G's birth if you wanted.