Health & Fitness

What do you really think about when you see a fat person exercising (clicky poll)?

I'm debating this with a work friend...she argues that people are usually inwardly laughing when they see fat people working out. I disagree...[Poll]

Re: What do you really think about when you see a fat person exercising (clicky poll)?

• The opinions of anyone who would laugh about that should not count. Seriously, who would do that?

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• I'm happy whenever I see anyone exercising, no matter what they look like.  I just moved and have yet to see another runner during any of my runs, it makes me sad not to have anyone to say good morning to on my run!
  • I don't think of myself as "fat" but I am def not thin either. However, I have been fairly active for a while.

The other week this guy in the AM was saying how good you feel when you begin working out. Meanwhile, I have been working out at night for a while (New to the AM crew) but I felt like he assumed since I am not "thin", I never worked out before.

Sure, maybe he didn't mean it but as someone who was once a lot heavier than I am now, I always feel the judging eyes. I try to think people are good natured but really, everyone judges.

• I say good for them! While I lead a healthy lifestyle and am not overweight, I'm not tiny, and I'm definitely not a pro when it comes to running or strength training. Just doing the best I can with the ability that I have! I don't think of someone who is noticeably overweight in any different way. Exercise is important regardless of your current fitness level!

2012 Racing Plans:
    Valentine's Day Dash 5k, 02/11/2012, 33:03
    Seahawks 12k, 04/01/2012, 1:23:17
    Bellevue 10k, 04/29/2012
    Beat the Bridge 8k, 05/20/2012
    Seattle Rock n Roll Half Marathon, 06/23/2012
    ...more to come!
  • I am not one to throw stones...especially when I know how hard it is just to get yourself to that gym when you are overweight. 
    image Started TTC 11/07 BFP 09/24/08 Miscarriage 09/30/08 First cycle of clomid August 09 Second cycle of clomid September 09 BFP 09/30/09 Miscarriage 10/10/09 Three more rounds of clomid and no success Diagnosed with Unexplained Infertility Abnormal Bleeding for 3 months resulted in D&C but results were normal November 2010 100mg clomid but didn't respond December 2010 forced break for a cyst February 2011 150mg clomid but still no response March 2011 250mg clomid and responded! Ovidrel trigger shot and IUI on March 31 Beta #1 11dpo: 27 Beta #2 15dpo: 85 Beta #3 18dpo 276 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The backstory to this is that I am overweight and was riding my bike the other day and a guy yelled "I feel sorry for the bike!" at me as he drove by.

My co-worker thinks a lot of people think stuff like this but wouldn't say it outloud. I prefer to think that this was just a pencil dicked mullet wearing moron who should not be regarded as a representation of how normal people think.

• I'm going to waive the social desirability bias and be honest...

My first inclination is to think a negative/judgemental thought (but not laugh at them) but then I inwardly chastise myself and think that they have to start somewhere and that it's good for them to coming and working on it.

In sum: yes, I have a horrible nature that results in a negative first reaction, but I always conclude with encouraging thoughts for that person's goals.  

• I'm into yoga, so one of the few times I think about what a person looks like while exercising is when I see them doing a pose that I aspire to do. I honestly hardly ever think about whether  a person is skinny or fat (or in between) while they exercise.
  • Seriously?  That makes me sad that anyone would think that, let alone think that MOST people think that way.

And what a jerkoff with his comment about you on your bike.  Ugh.

Blog:
    Blog: Eat, Drink and Run
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Last Race: California International Marathon - December 4, 2011 - 3:29:18, 7:59 pace
    Next Race: ARun for Young 5K - January 7, 2012
  • I vote that he was a  "pencil dicked mullet wearing moron" which btw may become my new favorite saying ;-)
  • I believe that anyone who works out themselves will have a positive outlook on a fat person exercising. As a PP said, we all have to start somewhere. I am inclined to believe that people that yell those negative comments have never worked out and will one day become fat themselves.

Most people who insult others are deflecting. I had some woman call me fat a few months ago and she was almost twice my size. I got upset momentarily, but knew how far I had already come and didn't want it to stop me from reaching my goals.

photo 23_zps55098dc4.jpgphoto 5_zps844d0072.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo rainbows_zpsb95a8e2b.jpgphoto dairy_badge_zpsf1627fb3.jpgphoto gooddrugs_badge_zps46a70739.jpg
  • I'm appalled by what that guy said.  I'm inclined to think that his rage was stirred up by a bike being on the road, and not the size of the rider.  People get ridiculous with cyclists.  I've had things thrown at me (beer cans...ugh), I've been hit by cars 3 times (none my fault), and I've been chased/cut off by several vehicles.  People get so angry.  Frankly, I feel sorry for the guy who feels so bad about himself that he has to take it out on others.  I don't see him working out.

And when I see overweight people working out, I think, "GOOD FOR THEM!"  I'm a really critical person...it's terrible, and I usually keep it to myself or else everyone would hate me.  But I always think about how hard it was to get myself out the door that day to run, and how much harder it must be for someone who is much heavier than I.  I admire anyone who pursues an active lifestyle in this world of sedentary, fast-food-eating people.

• image wst26:

I prefer to think that this was just a pencil dicked mullet wearing moron who should not be regarded as a representation of how normal people think.

This for sure! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kjewellkjewell member
    As a "fat" person I work out at home.  I don't know what other people think but I am very self consious being on a trendmill between to stick thin people and makes me less likely to go.
    "You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness."
  • I voted for "don't really notice". For some reason, I'm more likely to notice someone wearing or doing something ridiculous.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage[/url]

BabyFruit Ticker

• Well, I am a fat person, and I go to the gym, and when I am there, if I see someone of similar size to myself, I always feel a little relieved, I guess, that I am not the only one there.

I would have totally flipped that guy off.  I was once walking down a busy street, and someone yelled, "Hey, thunder thighs!" to me.  I totally gave him the finger...on both hands. 

Otto
    My (New! Improved!) Blog

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• I say good for them and secretly wish them luck.

imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am somewhat offended by this b/c I AM that fat person and I KNOW what those types of people are thinking when they give me the side eye while running.

While I should not care about what they think, it still hurts.

TTC since June 2009
    DX: MFI June 2010 & DOR Sept 2011
    Various forms of medicated cycles since June 2010
    IVF #1 tentatively scheduled for 2013
    Doing acupuncture and focus on weight loss in the meantime

S/PAIF welcome

• The other day I jogged 1.5 miles outside in a popular park, and I am still very overweight. A few people yelled out things like "you go girl" -- I was not offended. What that guy said to you is NOT okay though. Don't let it bother you, he obviously has bigger problems.
  • image MrsBrownsFan:

I was once walking down a busy street, and someone yelled, "Hey, thunder thighs!" to me.  I totally gave him the finger...on both hands. 

If anyone ever decides to comment on my thunder thighs, I'll happily explain to them that my thunder thighs are the result of years of ballet and squats and lunges and pilates and whatever else, and I'm very proud of the fact that my legs are bigger and stronger than theirs!!

2012 Racing Plans:
    Valentine's Day Dash 5k, 02/11/2012, 33:03
    Seahawks 12k, 04/01/2012, 1:23:17
    Bellevue 10k, 04/29/2012
    Beat the Bridge 8k, 05/20/2012
    Seattle Rock n Roll Half Marathon, 06/23/2012
    ...more to come!
  • When my DH and I were signing up for the St.Patty's 5K, some douche said to my DH (who is a bigger guy, but is very active and runs a lot faster than me) "Whoa buddy, I'm gonna run behind you and let you block my wind".  

You just gotta know you're the better person and hang in there, you're doing great, I am so sorry you had to encounter such a horrible person while you're doing something good for you.

• SueBearSueBear
    Ancient Membership 2500 Comments Combo Breaker
    image abvernon:

I am somewhat offended by this b/c I AM that fat person and I KNOW what those types of people are thinking when they give me the side eye while running.

While I should not care about what they think, it still hurts.

What I've noticed is that most men who make negative comments about women's weight tend to either be fat themselves, or else they were at once fat.  Seriously, I dated a guy who was a good 60 lbs. overweight.  I was about 10 lbs. over my ideal weight, and he would say "we both need to lose weight."  He was also the first person to comment about a woman's weight. For example, if he didn't like his boss, he would tell a story about her and say "that big hippo came into my office...."  I have no idea how much his boss weighed, but she could have been 30 lbs. overweight (vs. his 60).  Oh, and he was a douche!!!

Don't let the haters get you down!  We all have our own journey towards fitness.  Why would you allow your life to be controlled by someone who is so negative? 

Call him pencil d*ck and keep on biking!

• image MerrileeKate:

I say good for them! While I lead a healthy lifestyle and am not overweight, I'm not tiny, and I'm definitely not a pro when it comes to running or strength training. Just doing the best I can with the ability that I have! I don't think of someone who is noticeably overweight in any different way. Exercise is important regardless of your current fitness level!

This!  I don't know who would laugh at anyone who is clearly trying to better their health and way of life.  That's just cruel.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

• I am fat. Actually...I'm technically in the "overweight" bmi category when I was in the "obese" category 6 months ago. I work out at home....I always felt very self conscious at the gym. Whenever I see someone overweight who is walking/running/biking/etc. I think "Good for them!" and then I look for them every single time I go that route to see if I can see them later and if they've progressed. Once I finish my current program, I think I'll try the C25K which will thrust me out as an overweight person working out in the public eye.
  • image MrsBrownsFan:

Well, I am a fat person, and I go to the gym, and when I am there, if I see someone of similar size to myself, I always feel a little relieved, I guess, that I am not the only one there.

I would have totally flipped that guy off.  I was once walking down a busy street, and someone yelled, "Hey, thunder thighs!" to me.  I totally gave him the finger...on both hands. 

this totally, it helps to see other people my size there!

imageimageimage

Anniversary

• I am probably 50 lbs over what I want to be, and I am very self conscious about running on the treadmill for fear of what people are thinking. I try to fight that thought pattern, because then I just wouldn't run, and instead think about how I am be active and they can all shove it! =)
  • image Mrs.Graves5*19*07:
    I am not one to throw stones...especially when I know how hard it is just to get yourself to that gym when you are overweight. 

:( I think you posted this while I was typing my response--I am so sorry someone had the nerve to be that hurtful.

I think a lot of people find near anonymity (or least no foreseeable future encounter) as an excuse to do things they normally wouldn't, and feel ok about it.  

My mom is very overweight and is consequentially too self-conscious to ride a bike, even though she knows it would dramatically improve her health. Perhaps because of this, I'm especially warmed by your part in your story and enraged by the jerk's comment. Keep pedaling and be proud that your self-confidence is apparently way higher than his is!

• I also think "good for you, don't give up!" and "I hope they realize fit people got that way by doing what they are doing now." 

Negative comments come from people who probably had horrible parents and confirms my belief that not everyone should breed.

Life's a beach!
  • I've always been one to think "good for them". Since I've been running and really gotten serious about getting back into shape my attitude has really moved more towards "don't judge a book by it's cover" I've been out run, out yoga'd (I know that's not a word!), out swam, and out every thing else that I've tried by people much larger than me, and who look like they should not be able to do what they are capable of doing. I remember being in a yoga class once that I'd been going to forever. This woman walked in that was overweight....and I, like most everyone in the room, just assumed she was starting to try to lose weight. She put her mat next to mine and my immediate thought was "well, good for her for trying this class out...it's killer". Let me tell you, this was not her 1st time and she was getting into postures that I could barely get into. After the class, she introduced herself to the instructor and was telling her about how she used to weigh almost 350 lbs and had lost almost 100 lbs in a year. Talk about inspiration! You just never know, and I have no clue why people think they have the right to judge, or make snide comments...and I'm sorry someone said something so crappy to you. I'm always under the assumption that people say things like that due to their own insecurities.
  • As a former overweight person - I know what it's like to feel embarassed in the gym..on the treadmill, elliptical, in kick-boxing class - but you know what, I kept thinking to myself, "One day you're going to look fit and great...keep at it!"  And I did - and now 8 years later am extremely proud I didn't let the negative comments (others and my internal ones) get me down and knock me off track.

I also agree anyone who makes nasty comments like that must've had horrible parents that didn't teach them one ounce of compassion or empathy.