Decorating & Renovating

Ladies using the Hemnes dresser as changing table...

Hey! So after everyone's rave reviews about the IKEA Hemnes dresser last week I went to check it out in person yesterday. I like the 8 drawer version, its really wide and deep and the yellow and white striped drawer liners are cute:) The only thing I'm worried about is the height, its 38" tall, and I'm only 5'3". I stood there pretending to change a baby, ha!, but its hard to tell if it will be too tall for me in real life or not. DH is tall, I'm short. Do you guys like the height of it for changing LO? Am I stressing too much over this? PS. How was the assembly? Thanks for all your help:)

Re: Ladies using the Hemnes dresser as changing table...

• I don't use it for a changing table, lol, but I think it's so sweet to picture you standing in IKEA trying to figure that out. ;)

I'm 5'9 and just went and checked out both of our dressers - I thought they were the same height but the Hemnes is definitely 5-6" taller. I could see where if you were shorter, the height might be inconvenient. (But this was a non-scientific study where I tried to squat down about 6 inches and visualize, lol!)

I think there's a smaller dresser in the Hemnes line that's a little shorter, did you check that out?

The assembly was par for the course for about anything from IKEA - H assembled it and I stayed out of the way!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't have it as a changing table either but I'm short like you and can definitely see where it would be an issue. I will say it's my favorite piece of furniture in the house though, I absolutely love it! And assembly was fine, just like any other Ikea furniture.
  • image sjh722:

I don't use it for a changing table, lol, but I think it's so sweet to picture you standing in IKEA trying to figure that out. ;)

I'm 5'9 and just went and checked out both of our dressers - I thought they were the same height but the Hemnes is definitely 5-6" taller. I could see where if you were shorter, the height might be inconvenient. (But this was a non-scientific study where I tried to squat down about 6 inches and visualize, lol!)

I think there's a smaller dresser in the Hemnes line that's a little shorter, did you check that out?

The assembly was par for the course for about anything from IKEA - H assembled it and I stayed out of the way!

bwa ha ha! thanks for doing an experiment for me, sarah! damn you tall girls:) i actually even accosted another pregnant chic in the store to ask her what she thought, lol!!!

i thought all the hemnes ones at the store were about the same height...hmm. i like the rest of the size of the 8 drawer, we have a big wall to put it on, so i wanted to get as big a one as I could, for more storage. I have a similiar post going on some other boards on the bump, so i'll see what they say. its also hard to tell how much i will be using the changing pad on the dresser for changing her...who knows what kind of baby she will be. aaahhhhhhhhhhhh:)

thanks for your help, you are awesome!

• We have that dresser in our bedroom and don't use it as a changing table, but at 5'4" I don't think I'd have a problem changing a diaper on it.  In fact, I am planning on using it as the dresser/changing table in the next baby's room.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image jepperson:
    I don't have it as a changing table either but I'm short like you and can definitely see where it would be an issue. I will say it's my favorite piece of furniture in the house though, I absolutely love it! And assembly was fine, just like any other Ikea furniture.

good to know, thanks!!! short girls unite!!!

• I'm 5'8" so you can imagine that it's verry nice for me. But now that I have  a toddler, and dont use it to change her, it's nice because she cant quite grab things off the top, like she can for a regular dresser.

I'm a doula! Ask me about it

Brynlee Reece is 4!

TTC #2: 7 IUIs, 2 Miscarriages
    Lennon Grey is due 12/20/12
  • image June24Bride:
    I'm 5'8" so you can imagine that it's verry nice for me. But now that I have  a toddler, and dont use it to change her, it's nice because she cant quite grab things off the top, like she can for a regular dresser.

good point about brynlee now (i can't believe how big she is!!). i want it to last long term and have enough storage. hmmm..

• image June24Bride:
    I'm 5'8" so you can imagine that it's verry nice for me. But now that I have  a toddler, and dont use it to change her, it's nice because she cant quite grab things off the top, like she can for a regular dresser.

good point about brynlee now (i can't believe how big she is!!). i want it to last long term and have enough storage. hmmm..

• image candreco:

We have that dresser in our bedroom and don't use it as a changing table, but at 5'4" I don't think I'd have a problem changing a diaper on it.  In fact, I am planning on using it as the dresser/changing table in the next baby's room.

awesome!! great to know, thanks!

• I'm 5'1" and it is fine for me.  At first I was kind of concerned too, but once I actually used it, no problems.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers