Money Matters

Dog is limping - but doesn't seem to be in pain

When do we take her to the vet?  We've inspected her paws, nails, and legs and everything seems okay.  She's still running around and playing, but is favoring her leg and limping.  When we touch her leg and poke around it doesn't seem to bother her.  Should we let it go overnight and see how she is in the morning?  She has seasonal allergies that just started acting up this week so her paws are flakey and itchy, but it's all of her paws and happens every year, so I don't think it's that.  I feel so bad for her.

Re: Dog is limping - but doesn't seem to be in pain

• I'd let it go overnight.  Sometimes it's just a pulled muscle, a strain, or something basic like that that will go away on its own and isn't serious.  If she starts showing signs of pain, then I'd go to the vet.  She'll probably sleep it off, but if not, I'd call the vet in the am.

Also, what kind of food are you feeding?  When we went to a high end  grean free food, our dog's horrible seasonal allergies completely disappeared.

April is National Grilled Cheese Month. How are you celebrating? image
  • We feed her Evo, so I'm sure it's not the food. :)  She's a very spoiled, healthy lab mix.  Whenever the bushes in our yard bloom and there is a lot of pollen in the air me and the pup start to feel bad. 
  • If the dog is limping, she's in pain.  She wouldn't limp otherwise.  She deserves pain relief.  I'd go to the vet on Friday so she isn't uncomfortable through the weekend.
  • image SandAndSea:
    We feed her Evo, so I'm sure it's not the food. :)  She's a very spoiled, healthy lab mix.  Whenever the bushes in our yard bloom and there is a lot of pollen in the air me and the pup start to feel bad. 

Informed nestie pups are lucky. :) 

April is National Grilled Cheese Month. How are you celebrating? image
  • One time my dog was limping and when I inspected the pad of her paw, she had a tiny piece of wood caught in between the pad.  Could it be something like that?
  • My older dog has limped occassionally after getting up and probably laying funny, but it disappears after a few (2-4) hours. If it's lasting through the night or 6+ hours I'd take them in.
  • Is she drawing the leg up and hopping on 3 legs at all?  This happened with my dog.  Thought it was a pulled muscle- nope.  It was a torn CCL (human- ACL).  Watch her and no stairs or jumps while she is favoring her leg.  This could make things worse, even if its just a pulled muscle and not a ligament issue.
  • Mine also has seasonal allergies. They don't seem to be as bad now that he's on a good food (thanks nesties!), but still happens. He chews his foot a ton and then he limps a bit for a few days.  Otherwise he's fine. I've taken him to the vet before but there wasn't anything they could do for him. They suggested putting socks or booties on his paws in the spring to keep him from chewing on the paw but he doesn't tolerate that Stick out tongue

Another vet suggested soaking his foot in water and baby shampoo or dreft to see if that helped, but my dog was not a fan and it didn't seem to do much.

Hope your pup feels better soon!

• I would wait it out.  At least the night or a 2 days.  They are just like us, they get sore if they do something.  From someone who has many animals, many times its nothing.  Many times vet can't come out to me, and using basic first aid items you would use on yourself will work on your pets.  We use liniment and other remedies to help ease soreness for my horses and dogs. 
  • It is probably her allergies.  One of ours has them and does the same thing.  We give her children's benadril and it helps.  The vet said 25 mgs per 25 lbs.  Our dog is about 60, so we give her 50 mgs.