Austin Nesties

Flying & Name Change

I was supposed to go to Cali earlier this week but am going the week after next instead now. I was waiting 'til after the trip to change my name, since I bought the ticket with my maiden name, but there is some other stuff I really want to get taken care of that I need to change my name for.

Anybody know if I'll be allowed to fly with a ticket under my maiden name if I've recently changed to my married name (I'm adding on my new last name and will still have the old one, just as a middle name)? Can I just bring whatever ID I have and the marriage certificate, and any other docs I get when I change it? Who would I call to find out for sure - TSA or the airline?

Re: Flying & Name Change

• I would call the airline, plus I'm sure they'd be easier to get ahold of.

do you have another form of ID that will have your maiden name on it?  i.e. a passport?  I haven't updated my passport with my married name, partially because it's a PITA, partially because I don't want to spend the $$.

another option might be to call the airline and see if you can scan/fax a copy of your marriage license - they might be willing to change the name on your ticket for free.  I know jetblue was kind enough to do this for me when I called to change my name on my trueblue acct (their version of frequent flyer club/whatever).

merry everything!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • clynn58clynn58 member

I think you could still fly with your Dl with your maiden on it unless you are going to turn it in when you get a new one. I dont think they would know otherwise.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • image clynn58:

I think you could still fly with your Dl with your maiden on it unless you are going to turn it in when you get a new one. I dont think they would know otherwise.

This was my thought, but some people have told me they take it away when you get a new one. I do have one with the corner cut off that is not expired and has my maiden name, just an old address and an expired NY id. I'll see what the airline has to say about it. 

• image ThisGirlInAustin:

This was my thought, but some people have told me they take it away when you get a new one. I do have one with the corner cut off that is not expired and has my maiden name, just an old address and an expired NY id. I'll see what the airline has to say about it. 

yeah, DPS took away my old DL when I went to change it.  if you have another ID, you should be fine.  it has your picture and your name so I don't see why they'd have an issue with it.

merry everything!

• Definitely call the airline. With post 9/11 regulations I'm pretty sure you have to have a government issued photo ID (and it must be current). I had them give me *** once cause my driver's license was about to expire?!

Unfortunately I think you have to wait until after your flight but I'd definitely call the airline

• When you change your DL, they should cut the top portion off and give it back to you with a paper license with your new name. They shouldn't keep the old one because you need photo ID until your new one comes in. The old cut up license with the paper renewal with the name change act together as your ID until the new one comes in and should suffice to get you on the plane.
    We have so much time, and so little to do! Strike that, reverse it.
    My Bio (wedding pics added 7/6)
    My 101
  • sozay23sozay23
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Love Its

You have to have  picture ID with your maiden name on it to fly with it- I went through all of this recently. I don't know if they will take the old lisence with the top corner cut off- I assume they know that means it's not your current one.

I simply flew with my passport since that had my maiden name on it. I had to do this for like 6 months post name change because I couldn't change my name with sw rapid rewards while I had flights booked. I had flights every month for 6 months after my wedding! It was kind of a PIA just because I had to remember my passport...

20120901_858 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • image sozay23:

You have to have  picture ID with your maiden name on it to fly with it- I went through all of this recently. I don't know if they will take the old lisence with the top corner cut off- I assume they know that means it's not your current one.

I simply flew with my passport since that had my maiden name on it. I had to do this for like 6 months post name change because I couldn't change my name with sw rapid rewards while I had flights booked. I had flights every month for 6 months after my wedding! It was kind of a PIA just because I had to remember my passport...

I did the same thing . . . flew with my passport using my maiden name.  I waited until all my travel was done to switch over to my married name.