Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

RP from WFD: Help - Cake Design

My little sister is leaving for California in a few weeks to go to Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM.) Anyhow, we're throwing a going-away party and I thought of making a giant California-shaped cake designed like those cool postcards that say "Greetings from..." and show a bunch of landmarks. The problem is, I can't find anything like this online so I think it may be a disaster if I try it with no direction. Any other unique ideas? Need to serve 40-50. ?Thanks so much for your help!?

?image

?

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

Re: RP from WFD: Help - Cake Design

• What about doing something fashion themed? Like a dress or a shoe or something.

Edit: I see a lot of palm tree shaped cake pans when I google "unique cake pans". ?

[IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2m6jyp4.jpg[/IMG]
  • If you really want to go with the postcard idea (which I love btw) you could have them do it for you at a local grocery store bakery.  They can do those cakes now where they print pictures on the frosting- I'll bet they could do the postcard as well if you brought a print out in.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know how much of a cake decorator you are, but it would very easy to transfer that design onto a sheet cake. So, print out that "postcard", cover it with a sheet of wax paper. Use clear piping gel (comes in a tube in the baking isle at the grocery store) and trace whatever you want to be on the cake. Flip over the wax paper onto the cake, so the gel lays on the cake. Fill in with icing where you've outlined. I'd say the easiest way to fill in would be with the small star tip (#2 maybe?). I'd say it would probably take a few hours to decorate. You can even use canned frosting if you want. :)
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ladies, thank you SO much! Now I am excited to make it! :)
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker