Gardening & Landscaping
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Something is eating our knock-out roses

Yesterday my DH and I noticed a bunch of little holes on the leaves of our knock-out roses.  Would anybody know what is eating them or how to get rid of them?  I haven't seen any bugs, just holes.  Thanks!

Re: Something is eating our knock-out roses

• We noticed the same thing on our knock-out roses. I read in a book to spray them weekly with warm water with a little dish detergent in it. I've done this for the past few weeks and I've not had any other issues. GL!
    image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • It's most likely Japanese Beetles.  The best way to deal with them is to catch them in the act & hand pick them off.  Or use milky spore on your lawn to kill the grubs (baby japanese beetles) over time.

Usually, I just tolerate the damage until they go away.  They never decimate my or my neighbor's knockout roses to cause actual damage to the health of the plant.

• I had Aphids eat through almost ALL the leaves of my rose last year. In almost two weeks it went from a few brownish spots to just the skeleton of the leaves behind. My dad (go to gardener advice guy) told me to spray with insecticidal soap?

I just got something that was for Rose pests a Lowe's and sprayed the rose down. It took a few applications spread out over weeks to get them all gone, and my rose didn't really recover that yeah because the damage was so bad I had to cut a lot off.

This year I sprayed at the first sign of the leaves spotting. Fingers crossed it works!

• Bayer makes a 3-n-1 product that will take care of them.  One capful in a bucket of water, water it into the roots every 4-6 weeks, up to 3/4 times a year.

It fertilizes as well as has disease and bug control.  It's about $20 at a hardware store or garden center. 

• ~NB~~NB~
    5000 Comments Combo Breaker

Not Japanese Beetles. They won't show up for another month, and when they do, they'll be highly visible during daylight hours. They also have a strong preference for rose petals over rose foliage.

Created by - Free Calorie Counter