What's Cooking?

How do you organize your cookie/cake decorating supplies?

I'm trying to organize all of my cookie and cake decorating supplies but we don't have much storage space in our kitchen so I need to come up with something creative.  I know I could use one of the Wilton caddy things but I want to keep that guy on the back burner in case I can't find another solution.  I don't have a bunch of stuff, but I do have a decent amount (between cupcake liners, cookie cutters, tips, gel colors, piping bags, meringue powder, sprinkles etc.) and what I'm using now really doesn't cut it so once I start keeping other things on hand (candy melts, etc.) I'll need a little more space.

So, what do you use?  I'm hoping someone's system can either work for me or help spark some creativity!

TIA! 

Re: How do you organize your cookie/cake decorating supplies?

• I have a big plastic bin I keep a lot of stuff in. But I also have a cake caddy thing from Wilton.
  • This is how my baking cabinet is organized:

The top shelf is pretty messy, but I got those plastic baskets at Target forever ago. They're great. The one on the second shelf has all my chocolate chips and other mixins and the one on the third shelf has all my pastry bags/tips. The top shelf has gallon ziplock bags holding cookie cutters, sprinkles, and gel coloring.

• I have a couple of canvas scrapbooking bags that I keep everything in. Kind of like this, but the middle doesn't have the seperators:

Inside the bags, I use plastic bead storage cases to organize tips, food coloring, etc.

I keep them on the top shelf of the pantry and just bring them down on the counter when I'm working on a project.

Photobucket
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • i have a Wilton caddy for most of my cake decorating supplies and a canvas basket/open tote (like this but w/o the holes: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=118190&RN=1007) for all of my cookie cutters and the large cake supplies that won't fit in the caddy.
  • I have a plastic bin too, and there are gallon ziplocks and shoeboxes inside of it.  I actually keep it on the shelf of the coat closet...
  • image CarlaAndJames:

I have a couple of canvas scrapbooking bags that I keep everything in. Kind of like this, but the middle doesn't have the seperators:

Inside the bags, I use plastic bead storage cases to organize tips, food coloring, etc.

I keep them on the top shelf of the pantry and just bring them down on the counter when I'm working on a project.

Oh thanks!  My mom has about a zillion of these - she may not miss if one or two are missing  Wink

• I bought a tackle box for the food coloring bottles, piping tips, bags, etc.  It was cheaper then the Wilton caddy and had the same functionality.  Only thing I recommend is make sure that your tips can stand up when the lid is shut so they are easier to find. Cupcake liners and cookie cutters are currently thrown in small plastic bins.  Its not the greatest solution but it works for now.
  • I use the large GLAD tupperware containers and fill those up with all my supplies - food coloring, sprinkles, and random items that don't take much space. It helps to stack them on top of each other in my pantry.
  • I have a specific baking cart with a marble top that I keep all of my supplies (except ingredients) in.  Then I have 1 additional cabinet for larger (not used often) pans.

The baking card has two cabinets (each with 2 shelves) and 4 drawers.

The drawers contain: icing spatulas & decorating bags, tips & couplers, food coloring& flavorings, and  gum paste powder & vanilla beans & sprinkles & misc items.

In one cabinet, I have tart molds, cookie cutters (in a separate plastic container), gum paste tools (in a separate plastic container), cupcake supplies, chocolate coatings.

In the other cabinet, I have my airbrush machine, some commonly used pans, an extra bowl for my mixer and usually some chocolate fondant.

Everything is in containers that are labeled...and nothing is loose, so I can take out the container I need and bring it to my work station.