What's Cooking?

how much frosting for 2 dozen cupcakes?

I'm planning to make duchessII81's Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes.

She's using an adaptation of Martha's  Swiss Meringue Buttercream, which  states, "Makes about 9 cups, enough for about 28 cupcakes".

I'm also looking at Martha's Strawberry Buttercream which says it makes 5 cups (that makes sense, since it calls for about half the ingredients of the other recipe)  but this "goes with" her Strawberry Cupcakes recipe which says it makes 34 cupcakes.

So 9 cups is needed for 28 cupcakes but 5 cups is good for 34?! advice from bakers is appreciated :)

Re: how much frosting for 2 dozen cupcakes?

• image BensBabe823:

So 9 cups is needed for 28 cupcakes but 5 cups is good for 34?! advice from bakers is appreciated :)

Seriously, WTF?

I'm thinking 5 cups is good for about 24 cupcakes.  It's a little less than 1/4 cup of frosting per cupcake, which seems pretty generous.

• Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa - Martha's swiss meringue recipe says it uses 8 STICKS of butter - for 28 cupcakes?!  Gross.

I made that recipe yesterday (with a bit of lemon juice added) and really liked it.  I only made 2/5 of it, and based on that...half of that recipe seems good for 2 dozen cupcakes.  I think.

• 5 cups is definitely enough for 24 cupcakes.  Martha's frosting quantities are a bit off from the cupcake recipes they supposedly "go with", I have noticed.
  • image BridgetMc:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa - Martha's swiss meringue recipe says it uses 8 STICKS of butter - for 28 cupcakes?!  Gross.

I made that recipe yesterday (with a bit of lemon juice added) and really liked it.  I only made 2/5 of it, and based on that...half of that recipe seems good for 2 dozen cupcakes.  I think.

Yeah, this recipe is obviously not really made for only 28 cupcakes.  A half recipe would be plenty and you would likely still have some left over.

• image BensBabe823:

I'm planning to make duchessII81's Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes.

She's using an adaptation of Martha's  Swiss Meringue Buttercream, which  states, "Makes about 9 cups, enough for about 28 cupcakes".

I'm also looking at Martha's Strawberry Buttercream which says it makes 5 cups (that makes sense, since it calls for about half the ingredients of the other recipe)  but this "goes with" her Strawberry Cupcakes recipe which says it makes 34 cupcakes.

I'm making these this weekend too, but just read in the comments that a few people had issues with the frosting coming together. 

• image Jim&Jaime:

I'm making these this weekend too, but just read in the comments that a few people had issues with the frosting coming together. 

I think there might be a typo in the frosting recipe on duchess's site.  She says she adapted Martha's recipe, but then calls for only half as much butter as the original.

• image Jim&Jaime:

With SMBC, the issue is pretty much always that people didn't beat it long enough.  It can take a pretty long time, but if you beat it long enough it will come together.  I have a few posts about it in my blog.

• image doctorannie:
    image Jim&Jaime:

With SMBC, the issue is pretty much always that people didn't beat it long enough.  It can take a pretty long time, but if you beat it long enough it will come together.  I have a few posts about it in my blog.

I remember that from the last time I made it, I think it took about an hour, I just didn't know if the strawberry puree was the issue.  Thanks for the feedback. 

• image Jim&Jaime:
    image doctorannie:
    image Jim&Jaime:

I remember that from the last time I made it, I think it took about an hour, I just didn't know if the strawberry puree was the issue.  Thanks for the feedback. 

Hmm, an hour does seem crazy long.  I would think 10-15 minutes at most.  But from looking at the recipe, it seems like the puree shouldn't be added until the frosting has already set up correctly, and that shouldn't cause it to separate.  I think that would just thin it a little bit.

• image doctorannie:
    image Jim&Jaime:
    image doctorannie:
    image Jim&Jaime:

Hmm, an hour does seem crazy long.  I would think 10-15 minutes at most.  But from looking at the recipe, it seems like the puree shouldn't be added until the frosting has already set up correctly, and that shouldn't cause it to separate.  I think that would just thin it a little bit.

I was for these cupcakes I made last October: Butterfly Cupcakes.

I think it took longer than it would now, as I was really intent on adding the butter a little at a time and letting it incorporate after each addition. 

• image doctorannie:
    image Jim&Jaime:
    image doctorannie:
    image Jim&Jaime:

Duchess's recipe calls for half the butter (3 sticks instead of 3 cups) as the original. That's why it isn't coming together.

• image BridgetMc:

Duchess's recipe calls for half the butter (3 sticks instead of 3 cups) as the original. That's why it isn't coming together.

From her blog post, it doesn't look like she used Shawnda's version - only Martha Stewart is mentioned, and the quantities are correct.

• image doctorannie:
    image BridgetMc:

From her blog post, it doesn't look like she used Shawnda's version - only Martha Stewart is mentioned, and the quantities are correct.

Yeah I just noticed that.

Don't know then.

• I'm going to go Martha's 5-cup Strawberry SMB and hope for the best! wish me luck - it's my first attempt at SMB and I feel like I am already setting myself up for failure by mixing in fruit puree.

• image BensBabe823:

I'm going to go Martha's 5-cup Strawberry SMB and hope for the best! wish me luck - it's my first attempt at SMB and I feel like I am already setting myself up for failure by mixing in fruit puree.

I'll do the same, and we can report back on how things went. 

• image BensBabe823:

I'm going to go Martha's 5-cup Strawberry SMB and hope for the best! wish me luck - it's my first attempt at SMB and I feel like I am already setting myself up for failure by mixing in fruit puree.

No, don't worry, you'll be fine!  As long as the frosting comes together before the puree is added you won't have any problems.  I've added caramel to it, and ridiculous amounts of alcohol, and it has always turned out fine.

• sctigersctiger
    Seventh Anniversary
    I made those strawberry lemonade cupcakes and had a ton leftover.  It didn't make 9 cups, but you could probably cut the recipe down by 3/4 or maybe even 1/2 and be okay.
    photo photo RainbowHeart_zpsd6c5d296.jpg
    Married 05.24.08
    Missed m/c discovered 07.25.12 at 8w5d- Always loving our Peanut
    BFP #2 EDD 06.08.13
    "For this child we prayed..." (1 Samuel 27)
    So excited to meet Amelia Catherine!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest