North Dakota Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Seriously, California?

No Happy Meals!?!  WTF.  Aside from being completely un-American, don't you have other things to worry about?  Flat screen TVs and now this?  Thank goodness I live 3000 miles away.

Re: Seriously, California?

• I have no idea what you're talking about. That's not so abnormal though. California is so effing embarrassing as a state, I try to ignore anything we do & dream of better days elsewhere.
  • Lisa7Lisa7 member
    Sixth Anniversary
    Really? No happy meals?
    Lisa & Christian ~ 4/18/09 ~ Sandals Negril, Jamaica

Married Bio w/ For Sale!

Planning bio with the Sandals/Beaches brides list

My Travel Blog

[url=http://www.thenest.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thenest.com/tickers/tt160c4c.aspx[/img][/url]
  • image FutureMrs.McC:

Mmm... I'm confused? I assume, since CA is like... everyone's concern [sarcasm], you hear about all of the crazy assbackwards laws we pass in CA? [truth] This is completely normal an on par with all the other stupid & ineffective regulations put in place here. 

Seriously, California is so completely & utterly effed, it's embarrassing to live here.

• Voting against the measure was Supervisor Donald Gage, who claimed parents should be responsible for their children.

?If you can?t control a three-year-old child for a toy, God save you when they get to be teenagers,? he said.

?Ultimately, parents decide what their children eat and whether a meal includes a toy or not ? that is the role of a parent,? added Jot Condie president of the California Restaurant Association.

?The county government does not need to serve as the parent of the parents.?

See... even these people who have the right answer, don't realize they're talking about (some) Californians. Of course they need to blame the government. Heaven forbid they should exercise some good parenting skills or personal accountability.

• Yeah, I read that yesterday and think its a bit ridiculus.  My child doesn't want to go to McDonalds to get a toy, he goes to use the playland! Stick out tongue  I'm sorry, but fastfood is a once in a great while treat and I don't see the harm in letting a child have a cheap toy to entertain them while I finish eating.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I still have a lot of my Happy Meal toys from when I was young!  I'd feel jipped and confused if I was a kid...McDonald's Happy Meals were a reward for me growing up (or my parents didn't want to cook and told me it was a "reward"...hmmmmmm).

And I thought it was bad when they started just putting them in bags when they ditched the little boxes...I loved those things!

• When I was a kid we'd go to McDonald's only after hockey games and with the whole team.  It was our treat.  I loved it!  I still remember sitting in the ball pit eating chicken nuggets!  It's sad that the government feels they need to control how we raise our kids.  I don't approve of feeding your kids McDs for every meal all day every day, but I don't think you should get that regulated when there's, oh, a huge drug problem and budget deficit in CA that are a *tad* more important, IMO.

ETA: Only 10 days until I no longer live in this damn state!  WOOOOOT!!!! 

• When I was a kid I wasn't excited to go to McDonald's for the toy, going at all was the treat.  Parents should be able to dictate the diets of their children, toy or not.  

And maybe this sounds silly, but sometimes I order a Happy Meal for myself.  NOT for the toy, but because I like the portion size better.  On the "adult" menu you can't find a meal that just has a single cheeseburger and small fry.  I know they can all be ordered separately, but I think the meal is cheaper and easier to order. 

Anniversary
  • image Kahtie41:

And maybe this sounds silly, but sometimes I order a Happy Meal for myself.  NOT for the toy, but because I like the portion size better.  On the "adult" menu you can't find a meal that just has a single cheeseburger and small fry.  I know they can all be ordered separately, but I think the meal is cheaper and easier to order. 

That and now you can get apple slices and juice with the Happy Meal!  That's not even an option on the adult menu!

• OK I know this will crucify me - but I am totally supporting this law.

I know I don't live in the states, but if I did, I think I would want to live somewhere like CA.

1) they care enough to ban a happy meal - so that kids aren't drawn to the 'reward' of junk food. There is such a major epidemic of child (and adult) obesity and diabetes in the US, a little less McDonald's access won't hurt anyone.

2) they use less energy per person then any other state. they are very environmentally conscious (as well as Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006, Million Solar Roofs Plan, etc..)

3) they have a minimum that HAS to be input into the education system every year - by law.

4) they have a school nutrition standard as well as the program taking trans fats out of California restaurants and offering nutritional information to diners. 

5) California's Gross State Product is higher then any other state.

6) California schools offer physical education and after-school programs.

Although they are in a deficit (like many other states) the cause, and solution of that seems to be current market trends - since it is mostly caused by the majority of taxes coming from Capital income taxes.

I just think that this is a state that actually cares about their citizens, and that a happy meal is not an important part of children's life.

I never had it in my country growing up, and I turned out just fine.

*Stepping off soap box* 

?
  • image jebuell:

image Kahtie41:

That and now you can get apple slices and juice with the Happy Meal!  That's not even an option on the adult menu!

THIS!!!  and I'd save up the toys in my glove box and either donate them or give them to a friend's child on a visit.  Not that they were super spectacular toys or anything, but it was like getting a sticker, ya know?

Plus, I don't think the lack of a HM option is going to deter those parents who are too heavily relying on fast food to feed their children.  They will simply order a regular adult sized value meal.  That is only going to make the obesity problem bigger (no pun intended.)

I get that the state was trying to advocate for children's nutritional health, but I don't think they succeeded. 

• image Butterflie6381:
    Plus, I don't think the lack of a HM option is going to deter those parents who are too heavily relying on fast food to feed their children.  They will simply order a regular adult sized value meal.  That is only going to make the obesity problem bigger (no pun intended.)

I get that the state was trying to advocate for children's nutritional health, but I don't think they succeeded. 

I need to clarify.  There will be Happy Meals but no toy will be included.  I totally agree with the rest of your post and bolded the point I was trying to make although unsuccessfully. 

• image sarlah:
    image FutureMrs.McC:

Mmm... I'm confused? I assume, since CA is like... everyone's concern [sarcasm], you hear about all of the crazy assbackwards laws we pass in CA? [truth] This is completely normal an on par with all the other stupid & ineffective regulations put in place here. 

Seriously, California is so completely & utterly effed, it's embarrassing to live here.

I'm with Sarah here.  It's ridiculous how much effort and money they put into things like happy meals.  I can't waitt to get out of this state.  Jaye take me with you.  JK, hopefully I'll be leaving this summer.

• image ericandcindy:
    image sarlah:
    image FutureMrs.McC:

I'm with Sarah here.  It's ridiculous how much effort and money they put into things like happy meals.  I can't waitt to get out of this state.  Jaye take me with you.  JK, hopefully I'll be leaving this summer.

You are more than welcome to come to Phoenix with me!  We can crash Marci's life together!  :P

• image jebuell:
    image ericandcindy:
    image sarlah:
    image FutureMrs.McC:

You are more than welcome to come to Phoenix with me!  We can crash Marci's life together!  :P

Yes

• A friend of mine just posted about this on FB.  Another friend had a brilliant response.

"So instead of the kid getting a toy, parents will just get them an ice cream...makes sense to me. You THINK they're trying to combat childhood obesity when in essence, they're just trying to increase profit margins."

• My guess is that now that the kids can't get kid-portioned meals, the parents will start buying them big macs and quarter pounders. Fantastic.
  • image FutureMrs.McC:

image Butterflie6381:

I need to clarify.  There will be Happy Meals but no toy will be included.  I totally agree with the rest of your post and bolded the point I was trying to make although unsuccessfully. 

Guess I need to start reading the replies before posting. Whoops.