What's Cooking?

Can you "over"-marinate meat?

I have been marinating my top round steak since Friday morning. We were supposed to grill it Friday after work but ended up not eating dinner since we had had a late lunch. I plan on grilling it tonight, but am worried that the flavor will be "over"-marinated?

It is a 2# top round steak marinating in a soy-citrus marinade... 

Re: Can you "over"-marinate meat?

• I think it really only matters with chicken. With red meat I would still *try* to eat it. It might get too salty but I don't think you're in any food poisoning danger (but take this with a grain of salt since I tend to be lax about stuff like that)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • From what I've heard I believe it's possible, especially if there is any vinegar or soy in the marinade.  I think with vinegar the meat will take on an undesireable texture and with soy sauce it toughens up.  This is vaguely from memory though.

google had a few interesting links on this topic.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp 01/23/10 m/c 12w1d 03/14/10 EDD 09/24/10
    bfp 07/20/10 m/c 5w1d 07/25/10
    bfp 11/19/10 Born 07/24/11 via C/S

My Forever Sister From Another Mister~CashewsMommy!!

• Yes.  Anything with sodium can remove the moisture from the meat, causing it to be tough. 
  • Yes. Acidic marindes can break down the fibers in the meat and make the texture odd. But...it's not going to make it "bad" as in food poision bad, it just might not taste that great.