Colorado Nesties

What does greek yogurt taste like?

I'm cruising around spark people and I see greek yogurt mentioned a lot.  Is it sweet?  Does it taste like plain yogurt?  I don't like plain yogurt, but I love vanilla, that's why I was asking.

I know this is a weird question! 

image image

Re: What does greek yogurt taste like?

• Greek yogurt has a thicker texture and is tangier than regular yogurt. Personally, I think it's a bit of an acquired taste. I eat it with honey and fresh strawberries, blueberries, and/or bananas. I think a small container has about 12 g of protein.

Yoplait makes a flavored greek yogurt. They have honey vanilla, blueberry, and strawberry and I really like them.

• I bought one to try since it's supposed to be so good for you.  It's on the menu for tomorrow.  ;)

PHOTOS REMOVED

• It is a little tangier, but the yoplait version is not too bad (at least the blueberry that I tried).  However, I find it to be drier.  I know that sounds really odd, but it dries out my mouth a little when I eat it.

I still like it though!

image image

Bazinga!

Liz's Yarn

• It's more like sour cream to me.  I like it with some honey, fruit and maybe a bit of granola.
  • It's a tangy version of plain yogurt to me. I never eat Greek yogurt plain and I refuse to buy the flavored stuff (just seems wrong to me.) I make tzatziki and put it in gyros, meats, dip oven baked zucchini fries in it, onion rings. mmm yum! Now I have to hit Costco and buy a tub.
  • My favorite Greek yogurt is the Fage brand. The rest don't really come close IMO. I've seen Fage at Target, King Soopers, Sunflower, and Whole Foods. I eat it with fruit or with honey. The Yoplait brand is good for the price, Fage is so expensive.
    Anniversary
    *photo removed*
  • image Bran_ham:
    My favorite Greek yogurt is the Fage brand. The rest don't really come close IMO. I've seen Fage at Target, King Soopers, Sunflower, and Whole Foods. I eat it with fruit or with honey. The Yoplait brand is good for the price, Fage is so expensive.
    Fage is so much better:)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image Bran_ham:
    My favorite Greek yogurt is the Fage brand.

This one tastes like the real thing.  

• I got some for the first time this week (mostly becase of the amount of protein). I was sure to grab the low fat or fat free (I forget which) because otherwise it has loads of fat in it. DH didn't know what it was and started eating it and hated it. I had known about the tanginess so I mixed a little splenda with mine and used it as a dip for strawerries and blackberries and loved it! I tried the choblani (sp?) brand and it was vanilla.

• Yeah--more sour & slightly more thick than regular.  I always mix in stuff as plain is pretty sour--or I buy vanilla & mix in stuff.
    AKA Carol*Brady! IHO my upcoming 10yr Nestiversary--Back to old screenname. My own Marsha, Jan & Cindy... image Designing a Life Blog
  • I put about a tablespoon of brown sugar and some drops of vanilla in a half-tub (small tub) and used it to dip strawberries in and it was yummy.  I have also used it to make french onion dip, instead of sour cream.  but I also like it plain with fruit/granola on top.  I actually like the "tanginess".