Decorating & Renovating

Do I pick out the rug or the furniture first?

I am completely redecorating my living room.  Everything from paint down to the rug.  Do I work my way upwards and pick the rug out first?  Or do I do the paint & the furniture first? 

Also, I'm looking for some ideas/inspiration.  I have no idea what I want to do and it doesn't help that my style & DH's style are not very similar.  Any suggestions on websites or good magazines to look at?

TIA!

Re: Do I pick out the rug or the furniture first?

• I think I would pick furniture first because that's not as easy to change as a rug or accents.  You don't want to pick a rug and then furniture only to hate the rug a year later and then realize your furniture no longer goes with your current style.  Know what I mean?  I would check out the bios of the D&R nesties here.  You'll get some great ideas, the girls on here are very talented.  Also check out roomzaar.com. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would go with furniture first....you can always change the color of the paint, buy a new rug, etc., but furniture is a little more difficult to replace.  Plus, you want to find something you truly like and that's comfortable.  Once you've done that, then you can work with the rest of the room.  I would go with a neutral color/style of couch that will last you a while and will allow you to change up your decor when you get tired of it!

DecorPad is a great sight for inspiration and I would just start looking at people's bios/blogs.  Maybe post a thread asking for people to reply who have pics of their home or inspiration photos in their bio/blog!

• A couple things to consider/questions. Is the rug your inspiration piece? If so, you could build the room around it. You must also take into consideration whether you intend to have the rug longer than the furniture though. If it's a cheap rug, then there is a chance you could have the furniture/ the room decor longer than it. If you take the rug away, will you still like the room? Personally, I take an inspiration piece that is something I know I will like for awhile, and build the room around that. This could be a painting, a chair, even a color. I just take into account that I might want to have an option to change out furniture/colors when picking them. The girls on here have some really great blogs in their siggy that you could look through; or just google search specific colors or patterns you like that could appear in a room.

ETA- If this rug is not your inspiration piece, do not build the room around it.

• I don't always do things in this order, (especially choosing paint color) but I think it is a good guideline.

http://home.ivillage.com/decorating/0,,hbc3,00.html

• I'd pick furniture, for sure.
  • I find that it's harder to match a rug to an existing paint color/couch color than it is find a paint color or fabric color to match an existing rug.

I always start with rugs, fabrics, and upholstery first.

• image TheWop:
    I think I would pick furniture first because that's not as easy to change as a rug or accents.  You don't want to pick a rug and then furniture only to hate the rug a year later and then realize your furniture no longer goes with your current style.  Know what I mean?  I would check out the bios of the D&R nesties here.  You'll get some great ideas, the girls on here are very talented.  Also check out roomzaar.com. 

I agree. Plus, if you fall in love with a patterned couch, you might want a solid rug and vice versa. Big out the biggest items first and work your way down from there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Keep your furniture neutral.  That gives options for a rug to be simple or very bold.  Paint last based on furniture colors or rug.

I chose the rug furst - a classic traditional pattern with multi colors.  The custom upholstered furniture fabric was chosen to go with  rug.  Then paint was chosen also from a color in the rug.

You can do either furniture first or rug first.