Nest Book Club

Before I Fall (MAJOR SPOILERS)

So, I just finished the book earlier today and the ending sort of confused me. Sam saved Juliet and ended up getting killed. Right?

I liked this book. It was really different, but it kept me on edge, wondering what was going to happen next. I loved Kent, but I didn't really get attached to the other characters.

What did you think?

Re: Before I Fall (MAJOR SPOILERS)

• I really liked this book.  And I really liked how Sam realized that her daily actions affect so many other people.  I really liked Kent.

But yes, the end was hard for me.  I didn't want her to die, but I wanted her to save Juliet too.  I think that I would have been disappointed either way.  Had the author saved Sam, I would have been mad because it was too predicable, but knowing now that she didn't I am mad because I really liked the person that Sam became.  

My Book BlogImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicA Lucy, a lost tube, two lost babies, and another on the way! image
  • Shameless plug

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I loved Kent too and like pp said, it would've been so predictable had Sam lived. 

• Yup. She knew she would die, and she still chose to save Juliet.

OMFG, I loved this book so much. I REALLY liked Sam and her friends and KENT MCFULLER GET IN MY SHORTS. 

• image funkypineapple:

Shameless plug

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I loved Kent too and like pp said, it would've been so predictable had Sam lived. 

How have I not been following you this whole time???  You have been added to my google reader  :) 

My Book BlogImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicA Lucy, a lost tube, two lost babies, and another on the way! image
  • image ronnie day:
    image funkypineapple:

Shameless plug

How have I not been following you this whole time???  You have been added to my google reader  :) 

Thanks! I checked and I'm following you already

• I grew to like Sam, but I just didn't like her friends. I'm glad that the author didn't play it safe and let Sam die. It was just a tad confusing to me at the end.

• When Leah originally posted this I couldn't read it, so I had to come back after I finished Wednesday night and read. I just got around to it now and OMG this

image Young_Love:

KENT MCFULLER GET IN MY SHORTS.

made me die a little it was so funny.

I liked Sam's friends because they were so real, the way they were written. Yes, they were mean to other people. But they were nice to each other, and I always felt like they were so high school. The voice in this book was excellent. I really loved it, and I don't think there was any other way it could have ended. If Sam had been saved I think we would have been like WTFBBQ lame!! so I'm glad it ended the way it did. I would be interested to see the aftermath, though (and I'm sad that Kent will never know more about how she feels...)

• image bnlchic03:

When Leah originally posted this I couldn't read it, so I had to come back after I finished Wednesday night and read. I just got around to it now and OMG this

image Young_Love:

KENT MCFULLER GET IN MY SHORTS.

made me die a little it was so funny.

I liked Sam's friends because they were so real, the way they were written. Yes, they were mean to other people. But they were nice to each other, and I always felt like they were so high school. The voice in this book was excellent. I really loved it, and I don't think there was any other way it could have ended. If Sam had been saved I think we would have been like WTFBBQ lame!! so I'm glad it ended the way it did. I would be interested to see the aftermath, though (and I'm sad that Kent will never know more about how she feels...)

I KNOW! That's what makes me so sad about this book is that even though Sam lived this day over and over, Kent didn't. His only version was the last version. And while it was sweet for him, it wasn't the whole picture, and if I think about it too much it bums me out.

I also agree about the friends. When you read interviews w/ Lauren Oliver, she talks about how her own close group of friends inspired this book. So, yeah, the friends are bitchy to others, but they are good friends to each other. The one day when Elody ended up dying in the car instead of Sam was so sad, and I actually REALLY liked the bitchy friend (was it Lindsay? it's been a few months since I read this). I like bitchy characters, though, and I never had the problem of liking Sam...I liked her right from the beginning. I liked that the bitchy friend had a REASON for being bitchy and it made her so much more multi-dimensional.

Lurve this book.