Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Amount of food for BBQ??

Is there an online calculator that would help figure out how much food we need for a BBQ?  I really don't want to run out.

We are having a BBQ on Sunday.  Starts at 2 pm and goes to whenever.  I am assuming that whenever would be pretty late at night because no one has to work the next day.

We are having about 55 people, maybe less than 10 of those are kids.

Since it is going to be an all day thing, I don't want to run out of food.  Especially since it is a Sunday and the grocery store closes at 6pm.

We are keeping it pretty casual.  Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Marinated Chicken, Chips, dip, mac salad, potato salad, maybe some sausage & peppers.

So, what do you think???  How many hamburger / hot dogs would you buy??  What about drinks, soda beer??

We don't have that many big parties so I am clueless.

Re: Amount of food for BBQ??

• you can google a few different sites to find out how much food you should prepare.

I always buy much more food than I need.  I would hate to run out!  In terms of soft drinks and beer - get a few cases of each.

• Can you estimate (on the high end) how much you think each guest would eat and then multiply it by the number of guests? Every guest isn't going to eat every item so you could even do say, 40 people and probably be fine.

?Another option would be to have one menu in the afternoon and another at night--it might make it easier to figure out that way.?

• I agree. I would do the longer-cooking items (chicken and S&P) in the afternoon, and save the burgers and dogs for the evening.

We just to went to an afternoon BBQ where we wound up staying for dinner, too. The host offered chicken and steaks for lunch and dogs and burgers for dinner.