Trouble in Paradise

Bad wedding pictures?!?!

I recently got my wedding pictures back and started working on picking out the ones we want in our album, but as I'm looking at them I can't help but notice how bad they are.

The photographer stood at the back of the aisle and kept the camera on a tripod, but I figured that he was zooming in and I didn't worry about it, I just focused on enjoying my wedding day. 

He didn't zoom in and all the pictures are crooked, off center, and the coloring is off. Plus he didn't get half of what went on during the ceremony! The rest of the pictures are ok, but he only took 1 of each thing and some of them people are making weird faces or blinked or something.

We went through a large company and picked this photographer because we liked the pictures on his profile and has had 30 years of experience. I also spent about an hour on the phone with him the week of the wedding and went over every picture I wanted taken, who was who, and the schedule for the day. 

I don't have enough pictures to make a complete album without having most of them be the really horrible pictures. What am I supposed to do?

Re: Bad wedding pictures?!?!

• imoanimoan
    Eighth Anniversary 10000 Comments

This is why you never hire photographers from one of those large companies.  They put the best photos they do in their portfolio.  In 30 years, he could've just gotten lucky 60 or so times.  I'm sure the remainder of his  wedding shoots have looked like your's do.

You can express your concern and see if they're willing to give you some money back or something, but obviously there is nothing they can do to fix the issue.

Currently Reading: Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
  • One of the reasons we did go with that company is because the photographer has his own company, he just uses the larger company to help get jobs and get seen. He has an entire wedding on his website and most of the pictures are wonderful.
  • It doesn't matter what his affiliation with the larger company is. All you can do is ask for your money back. You might be able to sue in small claims court if you really want.

However, I do agree that if someone with 30 years exp. has only a few good pics to show, that's a red flag...

• The zoom, centering, and color aren't a big deal, as they can all be fixed in photoshop. I'm surprised he didn't edit the pictures before he sent them to you. Just specify how you want each one altered when you send your selections.

As far as blinking and funny faces go, it sucks that he didn't take more than one of each picture, but in group shots it's hard to get everyone looking perfect at the same time. If he'd taken more, you's just be deciding between the one of mom blinking or the one where dad's tie is crooked, KWIM? Look at the silly faces as moments of fun and laughter rather than as bad pictures :o)

• image TheDuckis:

The zoom, centering, and color aren't a big deal, as they can all be fixed in photoshop. I'm surprised he didn't edit the pictures before he sent them to you. Just specify how you want each one altered when you send your selections.

As far as blinking and funny faces go, it sucks that he didn't take more than one of each picture, but in group shots it's hard to get everyone looking perfect at the same time. If he'd taken more, you's just be deciding between the one of mom blinking or the one where dad's tie is crooked, KWIM? Look at the silly faces as moments of fun and laughter rather than as bad pictures :o)

Um, yeah, it is a big deal.  If you pay for a Ferrari and get a Pinto, you'd be pissed, right?  It doesn't sound like she got anything near what she paid for.  Yeah, photoshop has its place, but if he can't manage to follow instructions or take competent pictures in the first place, then I don't know that I'd even trust him with the Photoshop route.

OP, ask for your money back.  If he refuses, hire a lawyer and tell him you'll be speaking to the company that he "uses to get jobs" and the BBB.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• image TheDuckis:

The zoom, centering, and color aren't a big deal, as they can all be fixed in photoshop. I'm surprised he didn't edit the pictures before he sent them to you. Just specify how you want each one altered when you send your selections.

Its nothing that can be fixed, believe me I've tried. And the funny faces aren't in the group pictures, those turned out ok, its the one and only picture of my Dad walking me down the aisle that I did something when he took the picture and I'm making a horrible face. Its several individual, but very important shots, that he only took 1 of and they didn't look good!

I am talking with the company about our options with a refund and everything, but how am I supposed to make these pictures work in an album I'll be able to look back on years down the road and smile?

• There is nothing you can do to "fix" the pictures and I'm sorry/

Can you and your DH take the refunded money, dress up in your wedding dress, him in his tux or whatever he wore and go somewhere else and have some pictures done in your wedding clothes? A Trash the Dress session would be crazy fun!

• image imoan:

You can express your concern and see if they're willing to give you some money back or something, but obviously there is nothing they can do to fix the issue.

This.  Although it can happen with any photographer too.  I would show the pictures to a manager or supervisor of the photographer and see what they say.  They may not do anything about the pictures.  If they don't I wouldn't be afraid to tell them you won't be giving any positive feedback when people ask about the company.

• If you said yourself that the pictures can't be fixed in PS (though it may be worth asking a professional who has more PS experience if you're just an occasional/casual user), I'm not sure how you expect to make a book that will make you smile. But I think you know that already.

In your dealings with the booking company, I would present this situation as an opportunity for them to control how they are viewed. They can either make you happy and refund some/all of your  money, in which case you can in good conscience say, "Photog X was awful, but I had a great experience with Company Y, and they really kept my interests at heart when working to resolve th situation"... OR... they can side with their photographer, and you make sure they realize that you will do everything in your power to be sure that neither the photog OR their company get hired by anyone you ever meet.

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you." - Dale Carnegie
  • image theater_geek65:

but how am I supposed to make these pictures work in an album I'll be able to look back on years down the road and smile?

If you even know where more than 1 wedding picture is in 5 years, I'll pay you $50.

• image Geek_Girl:
    image TheDuckis:

Um, yeah, it is a big deal.  If you pay for a Ferrari and get a Pinto, you'd be pissed, right?  It doesn't sound like she got anything near what she paid for.  Yeah, photoshop has its place, but if he can't manage to follow instructions or take competent pictures in the first place, then I don't know that I'd even trust him with the Photoshop route.

OP, ask for your money back.  If he refuses, hire a lawyer and tell him you'll be speaking to the company that he "uses to get jobs" and the BBB.

Getting her money back doesn't get her the wedding pictures she wanted. Though I agree she should get a refund, I was also trying to offer a suggestion that would at least result in salvageable pictures.

• Contact friends & family who were at your wedding and ask if they have photos they can share with you.  Then, if there are some good photos in there, use those along with the "pro" pics you like to create an album through snapfish, shutterfly, kodak gallery, etc.

I'm sorry that happened, it's upsetting on several levels.  Hopefully others have photos that are more workable.