New Jersey Nesties

Teachers/Maternity Leave... dumb question?

I posted the other day about when you might've planned your child's birth to be in the school year. This might sound entirely stupid, but I was browsing my union's website and didn't find the answer I was looking for. I was just wondering how maternity leave usually works in public schools. Do you get paid for that time? I know some of you mentioned disability in the state of NJ. I am just so lost, if anyone could point me in the right direction, that'd be awesome. Thanks in advance from what seems to be a complete space cadet! (I know I could ask co-workers, but I don't want people knowing my personal business at work...)
Lilypie First Birthday tickers image

Re: Teachers/Maternity Leave... dumb question?

• I am pretty sure you only get "paid" leave if you've paid into short-term disability. It depends on the policy you take out, but some pay for 6-8 weeks (also, from what I understand, it depends on what your doctor's note says). The FMLA act allows you to have unpaid time for up to 12 weeks. Some districts will also allow you to take maternity leave for 1 full year, or even up to 3 years--they won't pay you and can't guarantee you'll be in the same school or classroom, but you will have a place in the district. Again, it depends on the policies and districts, but that's the basic gist of it. Good luck!
  • image Mrs.Jul1e63:
    I am pretty sure you only get "paid" leave if you've paid into short-term disability. It depends on the policy you take out, but some pay for 6-8 weeks (also, from what I understand, it depends on what your doctor's note says). The FMLA act allows you to have unpaid time for up to 12 weeks. Some districts will also allow you to take maternity leave for 1 full year, or even up to 3 years--they won't pay you and can't guarantee you'll be in the same school or classroom, but you will have a place in the district. Again, it depends on the policies and districts, but that's the basic gist of it. Good luck!

isn't there also a state "maternity leave" (for lack of a better term)?

proof that i make babies. jack, grace, and ben, in no particular order
    image image image
  • Generally speaking, you get paid time off by taking sick days either before and/or after the birth.  These are days you've accumulated in your time in the district.  The number of days you can use is set in your union's contract with the district.  After the paid time has completed, you are usually entitled to the 12-week federal Family Leave Act, during which period the district will continue to keep you on the benefits plan.  Depending on your tenure status and provisions in your contract, you can also take either a) the rest of the school year or b) the following year off, unpaid, though the district does not have an obligation to retain you on the benefits plan.

New Jersey's paid Family Leave/Disability takes place simultaneous to your Fed leave.  It's a program sponsored by the state that, although your district pays into it, your HR people and union reps have nothing to do with with respect to planning your leave and getting paid for it.

In lieu of asking your colleagues specific, pay attention to the board of ed meeting agendas (usually posted online as part of your BOE's website).  Those will tell you who's leaving, when their leave begins, ends, etc.   If you want more specifics (my sister and I both work as teachers for public districts) please feel free to PM me :)

Photobucket
    My two angels

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It varies from district to district but in mine (Marlboro) you are entitled to take 30 calendar days before the birth and 30 after (weeknds count). You can get paid for as many of those days as you have sick days but in terms of deduct only the week days that you are in session count.

EX:

You are due May 1, 2010. You can take leave starting April 1, 2010 - 30 days prior (and hope to hell that you deliver on your due date because if you don't ....). In April you get paid full salary but you lose 22 sick days. You deliver on May 1 (good timing!) and you can take paid leave until May 31. You lose 20 sick days (you aren't charged for Memorial Day).

If you have a section you get 2 weeks (maybe three I can't remember) more.

You can stay out for, I think, 2 years and still return but you do not get paid. I have no idea of what happens when you are on bedrest.

Get the private disability - it is worth it.

• Hi,

I am currently on mat. Leave from my teaching postion.  All your rules and regs should be outlined in your contract.  For my district,  I was allowed to use all my sick days.  i had 53 so I went out on leave February 5.  Started using my sick days,  Had baby on February 19.  I am still getting my full salary until May 14.   I also had state disability so I recieved a check from them two weeks after I had the baby.   Once my sick days are used up i will then be taking 12 weeks of family leave.  This will take me throughout the remaining school year,  I am also taking next year as my maternity leave.  My benifits will run out in October.  The way my district does it is the Family leave is 84 days counting Sat and Sun but not counting time when school is closed for a week or more.  Summer falls under that catagory so I will continue the leave for the month of sept and beginning of oct. 

It is very confusing but I found my HR dept to be very helpful. 

Good luck

• This should be all outlined in your contract.  In my district teachers could use up to 40 sick days and then take the state leave and return, or could return at the start of the school year as long as it was within two years.  With Zach I could take two full school years off because he was born in September, but with Eliza I would have had to return when she was 19 months old because she was born in February.