West Coast Florida Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Alarm companies?

We're currently looking to have an alarm installed in our new home & I was wondering what alarm companies you use, price per month(if monitored) and any other info! We have looked into APX already but they wanted us to sign a THREE year contract, something we really didn't want to do. We also don't mind if it's monitored or not, since the area we're in is pretty safe. Just something that would make a loud siren if someone were to break in if we're not home. Thanks!

Re: Alarm companies?

• Holy Alarm Companies posting. Stick out tongue

No I got nothing.  We are considering this too.  For now though we just have a dog who could whoop ass.

• crap! I wonder why it posted so many times-sorry ladies! How do I delete?

:-(

• We have ADT the system was already installed in our house so we just paid for some box so we didn't need a land line (can't remember what it's called) and then the monitoring is $44 a month.

Well worth it IMO. 

Cliffs wife I sent you a PM

• Hey, my DH owns an alarm company and has for over 10 years.  If you don't want to be monitored, he could just install the panel/keypad/siren and he could sign you up for monitoring later if need be.  Check out his website at www.floridaalarm.com

Kate used him, so she can attest that he's not weird or high pressure or anything.  

• image KimandRoss:

Hey, my DH owns an alarm company and has for over 10 years.  If you don't want to be monitored, he could just install the panel/keypad/siren and he could sign you up for monitoring later if need be.  Check out his website at www.floridaalarm.com

Kate used him, so she can attest that he's not weird or high pressure or anything.  

That would be awesome!!!!! Thanks! I will also check out prices for ADT :-)

• Yep, I highly recommend Kim's husband. He did a great job with our system, had good recommendations, and got it done quickly before Christmas, which I really wanted. Oh, and I felt like I got what I needed/wanted, and not a bunch of crap I don't. Also, I prefer to work with  small businesses where I can, and I'm always leery of who I let into my house; I need a trusty recommendation first.

They use national 24/7 monitoring centers, just like the bigger companies do.

I can't tell you off the top of my head what the cost is because DH pays the bill, but I'm 98% sure it's less than $30 a monthm, and we had a brand new system installed. Sooooo worth it!

My silly Lily is almost 4. BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have Brinks but they just changed names to Broadview.  They installed free and we have monitored service for 2 or 3 year contract (can't remember) plus I ended up deciding to pay for $5/m service warranty when they told me that labor is $80/hr if we get struck by lightning and have electrical issues(which has happened to my sister just a few miles away twice).  Our payment is $37/m.  The security I feel when I'm alone is worth it IMO.  After all, if you look at that website we were talking about yesterday, Spokeo, my house is worth 1 million plus and in a below average neighborhood Stick out tongue
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image sara76:
    I have Brinks but they just changed names to Broadview.  They installed free and we have monitored service for 2 or 3 year contract (can't remember) plus I ended up deciding to pay for $5/m service warranty when they told me that labor is $80/hr if we get struck by lightning and have electrical issues(which has happened to my sister just a few miles away twice).  Our payment is $37/m.  The security I feel when I'm alone is worth it IMO.  After all, if you look at that website we were talking about yesterday, Spokeo, my house is worth 1 million plus and in a below average neighborhood Stick out tongue

Just so you know, they were just bought out by ADT, so expect another name change soon. 

• We used Platinum Protection. It was $99 to have installed and we had to have a 2 yr service agreement. $33 a month. We got the keypad by the garage, 2 keyless remotes, a glass break sensor and a a fire/smoke sensor for free, no additional charge with the install.