West Coast Florida Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Speaking of Gay

so I have been watching the Real World (yea, i know I am lame) and the one kids just came out to his parents and they were pretty cool, so his BF did the same and they are NOT cool.

I totally cry when I see that, I could never be so mean to my kid for something like that.. ok drug addict, not mean, but Tough Love and Therapy, no enabling, scamming innocent ppl, that is a no go, willful acts of violence/destruction.. these are the kinds of things that I would tell them how disappointed I am in them and how if they did not straighten up our relationship would be different.. but being gay?

I would be worried about not having grandchildren, but then it would just mean me putting in some "work" hours campaigning for rights.

I can watch movies about the subject w/out crying too...

with all this being said (totally pro gay, have gay friends, totally pro gay marriage - but I am  still one of those ppl that will say .. "that's so gay" I know it's not right and I have explained the reason why it's not right to my teenager, but in truth.. we both say it,

image image
Max 4-08-08 and Michael 2-03-91 (19 years olds)
image Both boys were born w/ hirschsprung's disease, you find yourself facing this dx, please feel free to ask me any questions.

Re: Speaking of Gay

• I know gay people who aren't offended by "That's so gay!" So, I say it. Because... sometimes, things ARE really gay.

Sidebar: You know how fathers are all "My daughter isn't dating until she's 40"? Rob is this way. He jokes about her being a lesbian, and playing softball so he doesn't have to worry about boys. lol. 

• image Gator_Bride08:

I know gay people who aren't offended by "That's so gay!" So, I say it. Because... sometimes, things ARE really gay.

Sidebar: You know how fathers are all "My daughter isn't dating until she's 40"? Rob is this way. He jokes about her being a lesbian, and playing softball so he doesn't have to worry about boys. lol. 

Hehe.....playing softball.  I can't even begin to tell you how many gay remarks I have heard over the years because I played softball for 3 years in college!

Most of my roommates/teammates were gay and were not offended by the term "that's so gay".  I loved all of my teammates (straight and gay).  We were all open with each other and could jokingly tease each other without feelings getting hurt.  I think my experience with my gay/bi teammates made me comfotable with their lifestyle (sorry, can't think of a better word....lifestyle sounds so discriminatory!) that I don't even think twice about someone being gay. 

But I am sure joking with people about being gay (even if the other person jokes with me being straight) is looked down upon by others.  Whateve.  It was all in good fun and I still consider most of those people good friends. 

Baby Macy is here!

12/09 - Macy (daughter) | 4/10 - Began TTC Baby #2 | 12/10 - Chemical Pregnancy | 1/12 - Miscarriage at 14 weeks | DX - PCOS & Hyperthyroidism
  • Yea, some of the ppl I know don't have a problem w/ gay.. now my son has said the F word and I am not talking rhymes w/ duck and I get on his case for that b/c from my understand that has hateful connotation..

another one that is hard is midget, I have a friend who is a little person and she explained to me why that word is hurtful, but I still find myself saying it here and there, but I try not to and I again explain it to my teenager, but he really is not buying it. (but again, to some it's not a big deal)

image image
    image Both boys were born w/ hirschsprung's disease, you find yourself facing this dx, please feel free to ask me any questions.
  • image Mrs.Jason.9.15.07:
    image Gator_Bride08:

I know gay people who aren't offended by "That's so gay!" So, I say it. Because... sometimes, things ARE really gay.

Hehe.....playing softball.  I can't even begin to tell you how many gay remarks I have heard over the years because I played softball for 3 years in college!

Most of my roommates/teammates were gay and were not offended by the term "that's so gay".  I loved all of my teammates (straight and gay).  We were all open with each other and could jokingly tease each other without feelings getting hurt.  I think my experience with my gay/bi teammates made me comfotable with their lifestyle (sorry, can't think of a better word....lifestyle sounds so discriminatory!) that I don't even think twice about someone being gay. 

But I am sure joking with people about being gay (even if the other person jokes with me being straight) is looked down upon by others.  Whateve.  It was all in good fun and I still consider most of those people good friends. 

Oh... me too! I also did weightlifting. Yeah... that was awkward. 

• I have a fun story about using "gay" in the context you're talking about here.

It's Christmas 2003, I think.

Mom, 2 brothers, and Kate have just finished opening their presents and are now sitting around in that whole "what do we do now" part of Christmas Day.

We end up watching something really lame about dressing up monkeys or something equally bizarre, I don't remember the details.

Kate: That's really gay.

Kate's older brother: Well, as long as you mention it...so am I.

Kate feels like a total a$$hole and is at least a little pissed at her brother for using that as his starter.

Last time I used that word in that way.

My silly Lily is almost 4. BabyFruit Ticker
  • image k8elee03:

I have a fun story about using "gay" in the context you're talking about here.

Mom, 2 brothers, and Kate have just finished opening their presents and are now sitting around in that whole "what do we do now" part of Christmas Day.

We end up watching something really lame about dressing up monkeys or something equally bizarre, I don't remember the details.

Kate feels like a total a$$hole and is at least a little pissed at her brother for using that as his starter.

Looks like Christmas got a little more interesting!  Way to give your bro a ice breaker Stick out tongue

Baby Macy is here!

12/09 - Macy (daughter) | 4/10 - Began TTC Baby #2 | 12/10 - Chemical Pregnancy | 1/12 - Miscarriage at 14 weeks | DX - PCOS & Hyperthyroidism
  • image k8elee03:

Looks like Christmas got a little more interesting!  Way to give your bro a ice breaker Stick out tongue

Baby Macy is here!

• image k8elee03:

Baby Macy is here!

• image k8elee03:

Baby Macy is here!

• I don't let my students say "that's so gay" in class, and especially not the F word.  There was actually a parent who came in and yelled at one of my fellow teachers because that teacher told his daughter not to use the F-word and the father said the teacher was imposing his political or moral thoughts or whatever on his daughter.  Ugh it made me so flipping mad.  I love all people, gay, straight, non, bi, whatever.  I have several gay students who are out and proud and it is really inspiring. 
  • Wow, I have no idea what happened.  Sorry about the multi posts!
    Baby Macy is here!

• image MrsShawanaB:
    I don't let my students say "that's so gay" in class, and especially not the F word.  There was actually a parent who came in and yelled at one of my fellow teachers because that teacher told his daughter not to use the F-word and the father said the teacher was imposing his political or moral thoughts or whatever on his daughter.  Ugh it made me so flipping mad.  I love all people, gay, straight, non, bi, whatever.  I have several gay students who are out and proud and it is really inspiring. 

I do think that is good practice, I don't get mad at my kid for saying that's so gay, (since I say it myself) but I want him to understand why some ppl would be offened and to watch himself around ppl until he gets to know them to know how to handle a situation..

I am a fat girl and joke about it all the time and for the most part it's not big deal, but if a complete stranger called me a fatazz in a mean way it would totally hurt my feelings, even though it's true and I joke about it w/ others.. I don't want ppl making fun in a mean way.. in a funny way is ok as long as I love ya!

image image
  • image k8elee03:

Haaaa! That is awesome.

• image SweetMonkey:

I do think that is good practice, I don't get mad at my kid for saying that's so gay, (since I say it myself) but I want him to understand why some ppl would be offened and to watch himself around ppl until he gets to know them to know how to handle a situation..

I like this.

I don't use "that's so gay" or "that's retarded" because of their connotation, but I don't take offense when someone else does because I think they've become colloquialisms that aren't meant be be offensive to people who are gay or people who have learning disabilities. At the same time, I can absolutely understand why other people would be offended, because when these phrases are used, they meant to imply something negative... and it's not a stretch to say that it could sound like someone is also saying that being gay or having a learning disability is also bad.

I like that you teach your son that you get that he's not trying to be mean, but that it CAN be misunderstood or misused by people who DO mean it in a derogatory way.

Now, I DO get offended when people use derogatory terminology to describe gay people, or black people, or hispanic people... or ANY people, for that matter.  

• I did get dinged by my husband recently.. I called some lady who questioned me as to why I could not deliver a 5 buck craig's list item.. I asked if this person was a chicken head on my face book and my husband tells me that term is meant to a negative for black women.. I was like what?!?!?! I thought it was just for a ghetto girl (wh/ to me = education/economincs and poor attitude not color there, are all colors that drop out of school can't hold a job and thinks life like that is just fine (take my in sister inlaw ).. so if he is correct then I made a complete azz of myself..

well that is what I get for using young ppl terms.. maybe I am getting too old for slang.. say it ain't so...

image image