Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Does NE1's DH work for Dell?

We have a problem, and I was wondering if anyone else on here had faced something similar. My DH works for Dell, and is really unhappy, but is afraid to find something else because of their non compete clause. He'd like to go work for another software company in town but when inquired about a position he was told that he had to be away from Dell for 6 months before they would hire him. He was also told this from another company in town as well. Has this ever happend to anyone else? I know Texas is a right to work state, so I find it hard to believe that one company could have this much pull in the workforce. He can't stay at Dell much longer, so I'm just wondering what are his options. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Does NE1's DH work for Dell?

• Mine does, and he's always looking into other jobs as well. I'm not aware of that clause. I'll have to ask him and get back to you.
  • Did he sign a non-compete clause when he started there?
  • I really don't know. I guess so. Most companies make you sign one either way. He's been there 6 years, no pay raise, actually loss of $ due to reduction in commission payout, and he's just miserable. Every year it gets a little worse. We can't afford for him to just quit, but I don't know what other option he has if he's that unhappy there. He's not the only one either. Most of his team feels the exact same way. It's kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. I hate that place.
  • Yeah, that does suck, and I've heard similar things from other people.  FX that you guys figure out a way around it and your DH gets a better gig.
  • yes my husband would love to go work for VMware but can't because of the 6 month non-compete clause :(
    20120901_858 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I worked there and didn't have to sign anything and I went to work for a small software company downtown doing the same thing.

My xH use to work for them, signed many non compete and still left and went to work for another company. He's starting back at Dell on the 1st. 

I think it depends on the division and what he does and how strict they are. Most developers they are more strict about since they work on code and some higher ups they are strict with.

• Non competes are tricky because they don't tend to hold up in court but some companies won't even touch a new hire with a non compete because they just don't want to deal with it.  But like the PP said, other companies don't care, or don't mind trying to find a way around it - meaning put a software guy into a sales position (as a random example) for the duration of the non compete.  Or - is there any chance Dell would possibly let him out of it?

• FI is one of the account executives for Dell and has worked there for 6 years. I asked him this question when we first started dating, and he said he had to sign a non-compete clause. I think the only way to get out of it is if you are laid off by the company.
  • image TXAngel:
    Every year it gets a little worse. ....He's not the only one either. Most of his team feels the exact same way. It's kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. I hate that place.

Amen

• image monski:
    Wow.. all of that does sound bad!  Is that what the sales world is like?  I work in Services, and my world is totally not like that at all.  I actually enjoy working there and have a really flexible life. 

Well - if they want to talk to me about looking in my area, I'd be happy to talk to them about it!  Seriously, all the stuff ya'll mentioned - so much the opposite of my experience there. 

Yes, this is how sales (at Dell) is. I cannot count the times FI has come home and told me about the gross behavior that goes on in ASG. Most of the people that work in sales there tend to be male, and many of FI's former coworkers have REALLY rubbed me the wrong way. One had the audacity to insult our choice to adopt instead of having biological children and others have warned FI that I shouldn't get more successful than him. FI is much happier now that he's in the field working DIRECTLY with businesses instead of from behind a desk having to tolerate these guys. That whole department is a sexual harrassment lawsuit waiting to happen.

• image monski:
    image 2bmrslove:

image TXAngel:
    Every year it gets a little worse. ....He's not the only one either. Most of his team feels the exact same way. It's kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. I hate that place.

Amen

Wow.. all of that does sound bad!  Is that what the sales world is like?  I work in Services, and my world is totally not like that at all.  I actually enjoy working there and have a really flexible life. 

Well - if they want to talk to me about looking in my area, I'd be happy to talk to them about it!  Seriously, all the stuff ya'll mentioned - so much the opposite of my experience there. 

I'm in finance, life isn't that bad over here...but it's declined over the years. We're no longer allowed over time, raises are few and far between, we use to receive quarterly payout bonuses for making our numbers - that was taken away last year, we no longer have team contest giving away gc's or free time off. Our stuff keeps being sent across the pond and we have to fight to keep what we have here. 

I love the people I work with/for. We have nice wfh schedule. Bosses are flexible. The work is mind numbing. I want to find a position outside of this roll, but I'm going on maternity leave in May...so I can't look for anything until I get back.

• Thanks ladies. Yeah, he's in Sales and is really just looking for a way out. The company he wants to work for, said that they would definitely hire him, only if he were away from Dell for 6 months. It would pay more money, so maybe quitting and waiting might be his only option.