Fashion & Beauty

Wardrobe essentials for a cute SAHM?

What would you suggest as wardrobe essentials for a SAHM who needs to be comfy and move around, will likely get dirty, but wants to look cute?

So far all I can think of are a few pairs of great-fitting jeans.  Comfy but cute shoes, but I don't know of any.  Things you can wear that are simple, but that you can throw on a few accessories and look put together.

Ideas?

Re: Wardrobe essentials for a cute SAHM?

• I am working on #3 and still say dresses. I have yoga pants days (today) but generally I live in cotton dresses. I typically try to find really cute ballet flats to wear with jeans and dresses.
  • I wear a lot of leggings with longer cute tops with ballet flats or sandals. I also wear jeans with long tanks and cardigans a lot. Dresses are good too but there are days when being outside running around after my toddler and dresses do not mix very well. Nice tailored shorts with tanks and cardigans go a long way too for me. With cute metallic flip flops.

On lazy days I wear leggings or yoga pants with tanks. 

• Ditto what PP's said I live in ballet flats!!  But I am totally interested in hearing about dresses.  Could you share some examples of dresses that you wear??  I love the idea, but don't have many that work for constantly bending over, running after kids, playing on the floor,etc.  Would love to see some ideas!!  Thanks!
  • I agree.....a couple pairs of awesome designer jeans. My faves right now are my 7FAM dojo's. Also...AE's Artist jeans are nice too...and cheap! ;)

For Spring and Summer, I LIVE in flip flops. I have several JCrew plain and simple ones...and then a few nicer, sandals.  I also love tank tops (some of my faves are the Mossimo ones from Target) and a good boyfriend v-neck tee (love JCrew's right now).  Also....some great flowy spring and summer skirts with tanks and tees. I never really have a reason to wear anything other than a tank/tee, jeans and some sandals.  I do have some nicer tops to pair with jeans and such for when DH and I go out, or for other things like that.

~ Mommy to Olivia Rose 10.24.06 and Noah Aydin 01.06.09 ~

image image
  • in the spring and summer i wear a lot of jersey dresses.  typically don't wear them otherwise though.  i sometimes do a legging / tunic combo too.  but generally my uniform is great jeans, flats (ballet flat, flat boots in the winter, and flat sandals in the summer), and fun blouses / tees / tanks with a jacket if applicable.  scarves are big accessories for me too.  and of course, great cashmere in the winter! 

ETA: i also wear bermudas in the summer.  jeans are not an option during the day in the summer here - it's waaaay too hot if you're outside a lot. 

• Argh.. I wrote out a long reply and the Nest ate it.

To summarize...

In the winter, it's really cold and snowy here.  I wear sweaterdresses and leggings, or long sleeved tshirts or sweaters (some basic, some ruched or ruffled) with skinny jeans.  Uggs or tall boots are a must if we go out, which is why I stick to skinny jeans and leggings.

In the summer, I wear t-shirt dresses (I like BCBG's or Victoria's Secret double vneck tshirt dress, available online) with a shrug or cropped cardigan and flip flops.  I like leather flip flops, they are more comfy and look a little better.  I do have one summer wedge with a slight 2" heel that I like - Kenneth Cole Reaction Landing Zone, and Pretty Zone.  I have 2 pair of those and find I wear them a lot.

Right now, the weather here is kind of transitional, so I dress in layers.  Today when we went out, I wore the Michael Stars Lone Star short sleeved tee with a Plaza Cardigan from Anthro on top, over skinny jeans and ballet flats. 

Around the house, if I'm not going out, I often wear yoga pants and other gym clothes, but I try not to look frumpy.  I have gotten good and finding cute around-the-house clothes that don't look sloppy or like PJ's.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• ditto the ballet flats they make jeans look a little more dressed up. I have a couple of cute pairs from target for the park/play ground days. Tory Burch (with the giant metal thing on the toe) are very cute as are Cole Haan and they have the ones with nike air technology in them.  I live in my fit flops in the summer because they are better for my old lady feet than reg flip flops. I wear knee length shorts or maxi dresses in the summer. Too hot for jeans. I love BR t-shirts. long enough to cover the tummy, but with a little stretch for comfort.
  • Cami w/ cardigan and jeans or a skirt.  Diamond studs.  Cotton fitted tees.  Tunics in easy care fabrics. 
  • not a sahm yet but i sah with my 3 giant dogs and have the same wardrobe that i will when i'm a mom. along with the jeans, i would suggest:

leggings

looser-fitting vneck shirts [i like these and these]

tank tops [my favorites are this AA one and alexander wang's tanks]

comfortable dresses

flats: ballet and sandals

i also love hemp rainbow flip flops

?Hoping to Adopt & FTA?

Latest Post- Jessica Simpson Birthing at Home?

• I am not a SAHM, but I am a nanny, so it's pretty darn close : ) I live in:

Leggings and soft tunics 

Jeggings and AA tees

Cardigans

Sundresses and T-shirt dresses.

Bermuda shorts ( I have a GREAT pair by Paige that I've had for 4 years )

Haviannas and Rainbow flip flops, some times my Jack Rogers if I'm not doing anything too active that day.

BFP#1: 1/24/12, MC 2/5/12 @6 wks BFP#2: 4/3/12, EDD 12/11/12 Baby Girl born 11/23/12!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Henri and Charlotte, Christmas 2012 Image and video hosting by TinyPic