Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Just moved to Oklahoma need help!!!

Hi ladies,

I just moved to Norman from Boston and I need some advise to get settled in. I;m looking for a good hair stylist, a nice pedicure place, a grocery store (i've only seen walmarts here) Thanks in advance.

~Lauren

Re: Just moved to Oklahoma need help!!!

• Hello! I lived in Norman for 20 years and I just moved up to the North OKC area. I switched stylist quite a bit. There are some good ladies at a place called The Salon. It's off Lindsey between 24th and McGee. There is a place called LA Nails in the mall by Sears that gives good pedicures that I really like. Grocery stores...there is Wrights IGA, it's a smaller grocery store, but they have good meat. It's off Main and 36th. Or there is Homeland and there are a couple of those in Norman. Everyone has their different opinions about stylists and pedicures, so I'm sure you'll hear different things. Those are just my opinions. Welcome to Oklahoma! Hope you like it here. You're just in time for OU football!
  • Welcome to Oklahoma and Sooner country!  I actually live in Oklahoma City, however I drive to Norman for my pedicures.  There is a place called Allure Nail Spa and they give the best pedicures!  They are at 1712 24th Ave. NW.  Phone # is 366-8688.  I even had part of my bachelorette party there, they are super fantastic.  Sorry I can't help with anything else, good luck!!
    Fabulous and Funky - A Blog by Me

Momma to two angel babies,
    Squishy BFP 06/15/2010, EDD 02/21/2011, M/C approx. 07/15/2010
    Jellybean BFP 01/29/2011, EDD 10/07/2011, M/C 03/23/2011.

Grow Baby Beet!! BFP 11/21/2011, EDD 07/28/2011.
    Keeping fingers crossed that third times the charm.
  • Hi Lauren,

Welcome to Norman! I've lived in Norman for five years, so maybe I can help you. In my opinion, Le Visage Day Spa is the best place to go for a pedicure. It might be a little pricey, but it's very classy and professional. I go there for pedicures, waxes and massages.

Grocery stores: well, we don't have a ton of variety. I shop at SuperTarget for bargains, Sams Club for in bulk, and Homeland on 24th and Robinson for some other items. The Norman Farmer's Market is every Saturday and Wed. mornings on east Robinson at the Cleveland County Fairgrounds.

A good hair stylist: I go to the owner of Take Five Salon by the OU campus. His name is Matt...and I can't remember his last name! but I've gone to him for years.

If you're a health food nut, you can get groceries at Dodson's Health Food on NW 36th or some novelty items at the Earth store on Flood, south of Main.

I hope we've helped you some. Is there anything else you need to know about Norman? Please feel free to page me anytime.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • thanks so much ladies. I'll be sure to check out those places. I forgot to ask, but what about a place to take a yoga class and I'd also like to join a gym. do you know any that have a pool.

Thanks

• The Health Club seems to be a popular gym to join. It's on the west side off of 36th and Robinson.

The only place I know of in Norman that has a pool is the YMCA...maybe other girls will know of another places. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi! I'm Lauren too :) I've only been in Norman for a year but I go to Salon Zen for my hair... I've had it done by a few people there based upon who's available, but only because they're all amazing. For highlights, Ambur is the best!

Like pp, I go to Target for food and buy stuff on sale (well, ever since I lost my commissary benefits blahh) and Sam's Club for anything I can use in bulk. If you love cheese as much as I do, Forward Foods on East Main is a MUST!!!!!!!! They have a HUGE selection and they let you taste test ;) Also I love to go to La Baguette (also on Main, but they have other locations) for any of my spur-of-the-moment bakery needs, and they're great for lunch too!

Other than that... I'm not much help. I'm still learning the ropes here in Norman too (so thanks everyone for alerting me to the many places to get a great pedicure haha).

• Welcome! I lived in Norman for 7 years before I moved away last year. Best hairstylist is Laura at Salon Eclipse (in shopping center near the Sam's Club and Borders book store). Ditto Le Visage for a good (pricey) waxing, pedicure or the mall place for a good (cheap) pedicure. Besides the Y, OU has an indoor pool that is open to the public.
  • You girls are the best. Thanks so much for all your help. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions coming soon. Thanks again!
  • I used to go to the Health Club all the time. I absolutely loved it! But they don't have a pool. The only one I can think of with a pool is the YMCA. The Y has a good aerobics class too! I used to go there with some friends. I hope we're helping you some. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.