Pets

How much does your 20 lb. dog eat?

According to the charts on the food bag, Milhouse should be eating 1 1/3 c. per day, so we give him 2/3 c. in the morning and 2/3 c. at night.

Lately, he's taken to only eating dinner--he just has no interest in breakfast.  He's fine otherwise--eats his treats, plays, poops, and acts normal.  Should I be worried or try to get him to eat more? 

(He's currently getting a blend of Blue Buffalo chicken & rice and Nature's Domain GF salmon & sweet potato while we transition between foods.)

two years!
after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
Pregnancy Ticker
Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart

Re: How much does your 20 lb. dog eat?

• I don't have a 20lbs dog...but everybody's answers would be different depending on the food they feed and its nutritional value.
  • Ha, true.  Let me rephrase: does it seem weird that our dog has recently dropped one meal?

Also, could this have to do with switching to GF, that he just needs less food?

two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image Brie2010:

Ha, true.  Let me rephrase: does it seem weird that our dog has recently dropped one meal?

Also, could this have to do with switching to GF, that he just needs less food?

There are less fillers in grain free and typically have a higher protein content, so yes, your pup could just be full longer.  Smile  Also, if activity has decreased at all, that would also contribute to eating less.

ETA: I wouldn't worry about it unless you find that he acts differently and loses unwanted weight over time.

• Our dogs eat much less on grain free than on their previous food.  Honestly that sounds like a lot of food.  My 60 lbs dogs eat 1.5-2 cups a day (of course I think EVO is on of the higher calorie foods).

A Spring Day on the Katy Trail
  • My 20 lb dog eats 1 cup of food a day.  But we feed our dogs only once a day anyway.  He'd eat non-stop if I let him, but he just eats at night.  Our behavioralist recommended it as well.  Plus it's just easier. 

He's on CA Natural lamb & rice.  I think the bag also says 1 1/3 cups, but he's good on 1 cup.  He's build odd though...think small build jack russel on really long legs.  Who knows what breed he actually is..

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a 20 lb dog who eats 1/2 cup of high-quality, grain-free food a day.  She is a little bit chunky, but she slims down in the spring.  She should be getting even less, is my point.  

My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

TTC #1 @ 38, Dx: ovulation issues
    15 treatment cycles: c/p 4/11, m/c 12/11 (6w), possible ectopic + MTX 4/12 (7w)
    Another c/p in 12/12

Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

• Lou is 24 lbs. and gets 1 cup of Wellness a day.
  • Pugsly gets 2/3 cup of fish formula EVO a day if that was all I fed.  A 1/3 of a cup per meal.

However, she gets raw as well, so 1/3 cup in the morning and raw at night (if we remember).

• Ellie gets 2/3 total plus treats. She is about 15 lbs though. I would cut back on feedings and see how he does.
  • Thanks, guys.  Good to know we aren't starving our dog!
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • our girl is about 25lbs.  she eats evo grain-free about 1 heaping cup per day.  somedays she doesn't eat it all...somedays she does.  she usually gets a cookie a day and if I add some yogurt/shredded cheese to her kibble she will eat more than normal, but usually not the whole serving.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • As the others have pointed out, guidelines are just that! Much depends on the breed, age, activity level and so on. My 100 lb dog eats as much as my 200 lb dog.