Money Matters

So a bird is making a nest in my front door wreath...

what to do, what to do...

Should I just remove the twigs? Take the wreath down and have nothing up for a little while? The front door is our primary entrance and exit.

ETA: No eggs, thank goodness.

Re: So a bird is making a nest in my front door wreath...

• image OUKatie:

what to do, what to do...

Should I just remove the twigs? Take the wreath down and have nothing up for a little while? The front door is our primary entrance and exit.

ETA: No eggs, thank goodness.

Can you move it somewhere else?

• When we bought our house, the previous owners told us to keep an eye out for this with our awning.

I'm told if you don't discourage the nest building, they may not care for their young because you are there.

Visit The Nest!
    5 cats. 1 baby.Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What?  Remove the nest!  Put gloves on and tack the wreath up to a tree far away from preditors and enjoy the little nest.

Of course!

My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • Just open the door a bunch - he'll eventually give up. The same thing happened to us, and on 2 occasion the bird got trapped inside while one of us entered the house... it was a lot of fun LOL.
  • Totally agree that you need to move the wreath (nest and all) to a tree.
  • Well, I know I can't just leave it ;)

I can't move the nest elsewhere because it's just a bunch of twigs shoved between the wreath and the door.

• I would take down the wreath and have nothing for a while. Every single year, birds build a nest in the ivy topiaries I have growing on either side of our front door. Most of the time they give up on the nest because my giant labs shove their face in it every time they go in/out. Last year a bird stuck it out and even had babies. They were so adorable except they'd jump out of the nest when my dogs came by and one of them got hurt :(

• Okay, I put on my gardening gloves and tried to move the nest to our (not exactly nest worthy) tree but it fell apart when I moved the wreath. Sorry little bird :(

I put the wreath in the garage for now.

• That happened to me last year. We rarely use our front door so I just made DH look out the peephole to see if the bird was there before opening it. He griped about it but did it =) Little bird did lay eggs and eventually they all flew away. If we used the door more often, I would have relocated the whole wreath but we only use it to get the mail.
  • image OUKatie:

Okay, I put on my gardening gloves and tried to move the nest to our (not exactly nest worthy) tree but it fell apart when I moved the wreath. Sorry little bird :(

I put the wreath in the garage for now.

Well, you tried.  That's nature.  Hopefullly they'll make a better choice nexrt time.

My darling daughter just turned 4 years old.
  • Carefully remove the wreath and place it away from the house. Trust me, you will be much happier.

This happened to us and by the time I moved it, our door was a mess from bird crap. I wasnt able to clean it well enough to make it look good and had to paint the whole door!!

• i would get rid of the wreath for a while. We have a birds nest in our garage over the garage door opener... We didn't get rid of it before they laid eggs last year. It is still there... and now the same birds are back.