Nest Book Club

SBR: How long do germs live on paper?

We may not want to know the answer to this because of library usage, but at work we have a visiting auditor that I, and others have seen use the bathroom, rinse her hands, and then walk out- no soap [Insert gagging noises here].

She's handling what seems like all of our papers and I'm totally disgusted. How long do we need to be concerned? Must I lysol thousands of sheets of paper?

image image
Izzy and Baby A ~ Adorable Punks
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: SBR: How long do germs live on paper?

• EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! I have no idea how long they might last but EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!
    Sammie born 04/23/09! Peanut allergy/Avoiding Tree Nutsimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2013 Books Read: 90 * 2012 Books Read: 125 * 2011 Books Read: 150 * 2010 Books Read: 117

Jennie Writes Words ~~~ We Still Read

Jen748's
  • Indifferent

Yuck!! 

Can you put a thing of germ-x in there? Maybe she's allergic to some soaps? I don't know why I'm trying to give her and excuse because that is just NASTY!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I think a lot more people do that than you realize. At least she rinses them, right? And she's not handling food...

If Im in a hurry I'll just rinse. I mean, really... A: Nothing gets on my hands and b: if it's a germ on my body... it's already a germ on my body. I just don't think it's that big of a deal... :-/

( I guess I'm gross, too. Flame away Big Smile)

And if we're being totally honest - when I'm at home sometimes I'll skip washing my hands altogether. SurpriseWink

• Germs that thrive inside the human body like warm temperatures and moist environments. In other words, the germs that can make you sick aren't going to survive long on paper. A few seconds, maybe a couple of minutes. If you're licking the paper, maybe I'd worry. But first I'd want to know why you're licking paper.
  • Or shaking hands with her. Don't do that either.
  • image MrsJuicy2B:
    Germs that thrive inside the human body like warm temperatures and moist environments. In other words, the germs that can make you sick aren't going to survive long on paper. A few seconds, maybe a couple of minutes. If you're licking the paper, maybe I'd worry. But first I'd want to know why you're licking paper.

Please don't tell me that I'm the only "closet" paper licker on this board....

Wink

When I was in the bathroom at work the other day I heard someone turn the water on for literally 3 seconds, turn it off, and walk out.  No rustling of paper towels or anything. 

Dude, if you're going to pretend... always play with a paper towel! 

• image GreenBride624:

image MrsJuicy2B:
    Germs that thrive inside the human body like warm temperatures and moist environments. In other words, the germs that can make you sick aren't going to survive long on paper. A few seconds, maybe a couple of minutes. If you're licking the paper, maybe I'd worry. But first I'd want to know why you're licking paper.

Please don't tell me that I'm the only "closet" paper licker on this board....

Wink

When I was in the bathroom at work the other day I heard someone turn the water on for literally 3 seconds, turn it off, and walk out.  No rustling of paper towels or anything. 

Dude, if you're going to pretend... always play with a paper towel! 

haha.

I don't get this though.  If people are going to go through all of the time and trouble to pretend to wash their hands, why not actually wash them?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Bridal-Smash:

I think a lot more people do that than you realize. At least she rinses them, right? And she's not handling food...

If Im in a hurry I'll just rinse. I mean, really... A: Nothing gets on my hands and b: if it's a germ on my body... it's already a germ on my body. I just don't think it's that big of a deal... :-/

And if we're being totally honest - when I'm at home sometimes I'll skip washing my hands altogether. SurpriseWink

You are not alone.  This is me too.  I'm sorry if I totally gross people out, but I'm the opposite of a germaphobe.

And I just have to say... Mythbusters busted the myth that public restrooms are all that germ-y.  Money, door handles, kitchen sponges, and a bunch of other stuff all had WAY more germs than the majority of the public TOILETS they tested.  Like they swabbed the actual seat and inside of the toilets, and a dollar bill had more germs.

I figure - they're everywhere, they almost never make me sick - eh, not worried about them!!!

52 Books in 2014??

imageimageimageimage

My sweet babies:
    imageimageimageimage

• image 84Lauren:
    image Bridal-Smash:

I think a lot more people do that than you realize. At least she rinses them, right? And she's not handling food...

You are not alone.  This is me too.  I'm sorry if I totally gross people out, but I'm the opposite of a germaphobe.

And I just have to say... Mythbusters busted the myth that public restrooms are all that germ-y.  Money, door handles, kitchen sponges, and a bunch of other stuff all had WAY more germs than the majority of the public TOILETS they tested.  Like they swabbed the actual seat and inside of the toilets, and a dollar bill had more germs.

I figure - they're everywhere, they almost never make me sick - eh, not worried about them!!!

Well good because I am pretty certain I just spotted her shoes in the bathroom again and someone had brought paperwork into the stall. I cannot guarantee that it wasn't our files- like come on- have some respect for our stuff. I'm gonna cut someone- (not just about the bathroom thing- we're basically teaching the auditors how to do their job and we've already been federally audited in the area where they are looking. We satisfactorily resolved the federal audit, so why must we supply them with 500x more detail than what the fed agency wanted?)  

image image
    Izzy and Baby A ~ Adorable Punks
    BabyFruit Ticker