Money Matters

can I put raw chicken down the garbage disposal?

whenever I trim chicken before I cook it, I throw the parts I cut off into the trash.  Inevitably, they rot in my trash can and end up making my house smell horribly.  Even after we take the trash out and put it into our curbside trash can in the garage.

I was told by a couple of people to put the raw chicken into the garbage disposal - but won't that just make my sink smell like rotted chicken?  Perhaps I am not fully understanding the way a garbage disposal works?

Re: can I put raw chicken down the garbage disposal?

• You're not supposed to put raw meat down the garbage disposal.  It ends up in our water supply, salmonella and all. I know there's all kinds of other junk in our water supply, but every little bit helps.

When we have to throw away scraps of raw chicken or meat, we put them in small plastic bags (like the kind from the grocery store) and take them outside the same day. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image gtown_bride:

When we have to throw away scraps of raw chicken or meat, we put them in small plastic bags (like the kind from the grocery store) and take them outside the same day. 

I do this too.  I save the plastic bags for fruits and veggies fr. the grocery store just for this purpose. 

• I agree with not putting it down the disposal.  Are you emptying your bag often enough?  I know some people have a very large kitchen garbage.  I prefer our medium sized one as it gets emptied more often.
  • For a MM-getting-all-the-value-out-of-what-you-buy, throw those scraps into a ziploc bag & freeze them.  Add scraps to the bag until it's full, then make a pot of chicken stock!  Freeze that into portions & you won't have to buy canned stuff (which can be pricey)

You don't have to worry about the chicken rot smell either!

• None of the "put the bag out more frequently" suggestions ever work for us in terms of diapers, chicken wrappers, etc. as we have a pay-per-bag system of trash in our city, and we only fill 1 bag of trash per week. I'd rather not put 4 1/4 full bags out there.

We do the freeze and toss before the garbage goes out thing... or, if it's not going to be too hot, or it's close to trash day, just wrap in plastic bag.

image image
  • why is it ok for human's unine and fecal matter to enter the water supply but its not ok for chicken to?
  • image kastle:

For a MM-getting-all-the-value-out-of-what-you-buy, throw those scraps into a ziploc bag & freeze them.  Add scraps to the bag until it's full, then make a pot of chicken stock!  Freeze that into portions & you won't have to buy canned stuff (which can be pricey)

i need to start doing this!
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Um....maybe I'm just uneducated, but I put raw meat (along with an assortment of other food scraps) down the disposal.  Never any smell problems - I just run the water and disposal til its clear.
  • image txlonghornbride:
    Um....maybe I'm just uneducated, but I put raw meat (along with an assortment of other food scraps) down the disposal.  Never any smell problems - I just run the water and disposal til its clear.

Me too

• image uncharch7:
    image kastle:

For a MM-getting-all-the-value-out-of-what-you-buy, throw those scraps into a ziploc bag & freeze them.  Add scraps to the bag until it's full, then make a pot of chicken stock!  Freeze that into portions & you won't have to buy canned stuff (which can be pricey)

i need to start doing this!

I do the same with veg & herb scraps (meaning like the stalks of the parsley when you just use the leaves).  It's really easy and making stock isn't a huge time-suck either! 

• No! Garbage disposals are great for getting rid of stuff that accidentaly falls down the drain, but they should never be used as trash compactors. For one, they aren't designed that way (they have no cooling mechanism). Also, plumbing systems aren't designed to deal with that kind of crud in them.  It also isn't a good idea if you are a friend to the enviornment. Here is an article (mostly antecdotal) that speak to that aspect:
    http://www.grist.org/advice/ask/2003/03/27/umbra-disposal/index.html

From loss and infertility to two under two!

MoreGreenForLessGreen
    Living more eco-friendly for less

money.

• In Organic Housekeeping, Ellen Sandbeck mentioned that putting food down the garbage disposal feeds sewer rats, and can lead them back up the pipes to your house.  I don't know how often it actually happens, but that's not a chance I want to take. 

• image txlonghornbride:
    Um....maybe I'm just uneducated, but I put raw meat (along with an assortment of other food scraps) down the disposal.  Never any smell problems - I just run the water and disposal til its clear.

Me too.  Add this to my list of things I do to tempt fate on a daily basis!