Military Nesties

Camp Lejeune - closest airport?

Hi-

Just wondering where what airport I fly into... is it Jacksonville, or Raleigh/Durham? If it's Raleigh, how long is the drive to Camp Lejeune and are there any hotels nearby?

Thx!

BTW, I'm coming from Orange County, CA

Re: Camp Lejeune - closest airport?

• Closest would be Raleigh/Durhan...Wilmington might have an airport - but if it does, it would be extremely small.  The drive to the Raleigh airport from base takes 2 hours (if you don't hit traffic).
  • there's a ton of hotels nearby.  Depends on what your looking for. There's a Fairfield Inn near base that I've stayed at that's nice (especially for Jacksonville).  What's the purpose of the visit?  If it's a homecoming, you'll want to make reservations waaaay in advance.  If it's just to visit for a few days, I'd rec staying in Wilmington for a night or two (much more to do, restaurants that aren't chains, not quite as "marine centric")
  • You can fly into Jacksonville. Sometimes you can get good deals. Its worth checking out. Raleigh will most likely be the cheapest, but Wilmington and Jacksonville could work out. And with gas prices, it might even out to fly closer than Raleigh.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH is from Wilmington. He says Jacksonville or Wilmington. Wilmington is more expensive to fly into though.

Jacksonville would be closest, Wilmington would be your second option.

The others are about 3 hours away.

Good luck and safe travels!

I'm from OC too! Are you flying out of John Wayne or LAX? 

• When we were at Cherry Point (about 30ish minutes away from Jacksonville), we flew out of New Bern, Kinston, or Raleigh.  I tried not to get flights in/out of Raleigh because of the drive.  There was always a two hour drive on the other end of our flight because of the closest airport to home.  It made for a LONG trip that way.
  • Thanks ladies for your help! This visit is just to see myguy ;o]

Fenix - I'll be flying out of OC (boo for LAX, too far!)

• When I flew down there last year, I flew into Raleigh and drove to Jacksonville.  Even with gas prices being as high as they are, I would think you'd save money that way.  Every other flight I looked at that went into a closer airport was a few hundred bucks more. 
  • There is an airport in Jacksonville it's called Albert J. Ellis airport, I think the airport code is OAJ. Only two airlines fly in and out of it, but it would be worth looking into. ALSO, there is a great airport shuttle service if you end up flying into Raleigh called The Airporter, I think if you google "Jacksonville Airporter" you will find it.