Nest Book Club

Vampire Academy pronunciation question

Umm.. yeah.. how are we all saying Moroi, Strigoi, and Dhampir?

So confused!

Books read in 2012: 49
my bookshelf!
Katie (gingerfeathers)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Bloggy

Re: Vampire Academy pronunciation question

• I've been "saying" (in my head), "dam-peer", "stra-goy" and "mo-roy"... but that's just me.
    my to-read shelf:
    Alix's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
    34/150
  • I say Moroi like Moe-Roy, Strigoi like Stree-Goy and Dhampir like Damp-er

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • image alixzafiris:
    I've been "saying" (in my head), "dam-peer", "stra-goy" and "mo-roy"... but that's just me.

I think Alix is right.  I have Shadow Kissed on Audiobook and they are all said that way.

100 books in 2014

2014 Books Read 50/100
    my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Looks like those are how I would pronounce those names too.

I haven't read these but quick question....are they more sexual than Twilight series? Just wondering because while talking to FI's daughter on the phone the other day she mentioned how Jacob has new competition because she read these and loves them more she thinks. I'm wondering if its because they may be more explicit.

Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You can't go by the audiobooks because they are pronounced completely different in the book 1 audiobook then they are in the books 2 and 3 audiobooks.

In book 1 it is: Dampire to rhyme iwth vampire. And STRIG-oi with the emphasis on the first syllable. Same with MOR-oi

In the later books it's Dam-peer and Stri-GOI with the emphasis on the 2nd syllable. Same with Mo-ROI.

Shana & Josh

28/100
  • image ShanaJune2010:

You can't go by the audiobooks because they are pronounced completely different in the book 1 audiobook then they are in the books 2 and 3 audiobooks.

In book 1 it is: Dampire to rhyme iwth vampire. And STRIG-oi with the emphasis on the first syllable. Same with MOR-oi

In the later books it's Dam-peer and Stri-GOI with the emphasis on the 2nd syllable. Same with Mo-ROI.

Isn't that interesting.  I never would have thought about them changing.  Thanks for the info!

100 books in 2014

2014 Books Read 50/100
    my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• image JSweetieXO:

Looks like those are how I would pronounce those names too.

I haven't read these but quick question....are they more sexual than Twilight series? Just wondering because while talking to FI's daughter on the phone the other day she mentioned how Jacob has new competition because she read these and loves them more she thinks. I'm wondering if its because they may be more explicit.

I'm only near the end of the first one, so I have no idea overall.. but I think in general it's a lot more mature than Twilight.. i.e. so far there has been some drinking, a weed mention, and the term "bloodwhore" is tossed around quite a bit. And they're all teenagers in a high school setting, which means of course sex is on everyone's mind.

my bookshelf!
    Katie (gingerfeathers)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Bloggy
  • Oh, and thanks everyone. :) It sounds like I was saying them about the same way you were.
    my bookshelf!
    Bloggy
  • image JSweetieXO:

• image JSweetieXO:

• image JSweetieXO:

They aren't really much more sexual, but they are a little more mature. They are still teen books, so there's not a whole lot going on in the sex department. It's more implied than really talked about or having explicit sex scenes.

I pronounce Dhampir like Dam-peer, Moroi like Moor-roy and Strigoi like Stri-joy with the emphasis always on the last sylable. I don't know if I'm right or wrong, but it just makes sense in my head.

• Ah...good to know. I mean FI and I pretty much have no say as to what she reads since she is in OK living with her mom but I think a 12 yr old shouldn't be reading teen books. Eh well.
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic