Money Matters
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What's the difference between panko and regular breadcrumbs?

I am going to try my hand at making chicken cordon bleu, and the recipe calls for panko breadcrumbs. I'm thinking I can just use regular ones or crushed Ritz, but want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Re: What's the difference between panko and regular breadcrumbs?

• The difference is greatness (panko) v. blahness (regular).  But regular will work.  I think panko taste a lot better - much crispier, etc.
  • Panko crumbs are bigger, fluffier crumbs.  There is a great deal more substance to them, although generally they are not seasoned. 
  • I LOVE panko. they are really light and crispy. They are definitely worth investing in and trying out in other recipes that call for regular bread crumbs.
  • Panko breadcrumbs will give you a much crispier result.
  • image lindyanne:
    I LOVE panko. they are really light and crispy. They are definitely worth investing in and trying out in other recipes that call for regular bread crumbs.

Your baby is cute :)

• I usually just toast a piece of bread and blend it really finely. I think it tastes better than store-bought bread crumbs. Or ritz would probably be okay too, just kind of buttery.
  • image k-statebride:
    I usually just toast a piece of bread and blend it really finely. I think it tastes better than store-bought bread crumbs. Or ritz would probably be okay too, just kind of buttery.

That's a good idea. I could use my new (ish) food processor! :)

• What everyone else said.  I much prefer panko, but if you have breadcrumbs they will suffice.  Panko are sort of "flatter" and make for a more crispy coating/crust.
    Blythe, born 6/5/10, and Oscar the dog (not pictured), adopted 11/16/07