Money Matters

What's the difference between panko and regular breadcrumbs?

I am going to try my hand at making chicken cordon bleu, and the recipe calls for panko breadcrumbs. I'm thinking I can just use regular ones or crushed Ritz, but want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Re: What's the difference between panko and regular breadcrumbs?

• The difference is greatness (panko) v. blahness (regular).  But regular will work.  I think panko taste a lot better - much crispier, etc.
  • Panko crumbs are bigger, fluffier crumbs.  There is a great deal more substance to them, although generally they are not seasoned. 
  • I LOVE panko. they are really light and crispy. They are definitely worth investing in and trying out in other recipes that call for regular bread crumbs.
  • Panko breadcrumbs will give you a much crispier result.
  • image lindyanne:
    I LOVE panko. they are really light and crispy. They are definitely worth investing in and trying out in other recipes that call for regular bread crumbs.

Your baby is cute :)

• I usually just toast a piece of bread and blend it really finely. I think it tastes better than store-bought bread crumbs. Or ritz would probably be okay too, just kind of buttery.
  • image k-statebride:
    I usually just toast a piece of bread and blend it really finely. I think it tastes better than store-bought bread crumbs. Or ritz would probably be okay too, just kind of buttery.

That's a good idea. I could use my new (ish) food processor! :)

• What everyone else said.  I much prefer panko, but if you have breadcrumbs they will suffice.  Panko are sort of "flatter" and make for a more crispy coating/crust.
    Blythe, born 6/5/10, and Oscar the dog (not pictured), adopted 11/16/07