Money Matters

Wisdom Teeth and Novocaine

I was told that I would be given anesthesia for my wisdom teeth surgery. Someone I was talking to today told me they did not have novocaine for their surgery they just had novocaine. I tried calling my dentist a few times today and can't get through.

Would anyone here know the reason why I was told that I will be given anesthesia as opposed to just being shot up good with novocaine lol?

I've never had anesthesia and am scared to death! 

Re: Wisdom Teeth and Novocaine

• It depends if they can just pull your wisdom teeth or have to cut them out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No idea!  I'd much rather have anesthesia than novacaine, I wouldn't want to be awake while they jerk my face around yanking teeth out LOL

It's not that bad - I got an IV in my arm and within ten seconds I was out.  Felt like I woke up immediately (no sense of time lapse) and poof all done!

• I was knocked out for mine - they were all impacted.  Some people can have them removed like regular teeth.  Some people can't and need to be knocked out.

• I had the option of anesthesia or novocaine.  I chose novocaine because, like you, I was more afraid of the anesthesia. 

When is your procedure?  Did they give you any pre-procedure instructions (like don't eat anything for so many hours, etc.)?

• I've heard of people just having novocaine or something that doesn't put them completely under.  I had the anesthesia because I didn't want to be awake for any of it.  I guess I was more scared of them cutting into my mouth than I was of the anesthesia!
  • I just had Novocaine. Get the anesthesia if your insurance covers it. I could feel every tug and pull. I had 3 impacted and the remaining one split open. It was not fun. I didn't have the greatest insurance and it would have cost me an additional 800$ which I couldn't afford at the time. I have a high pain tolerance and even the surgeon kept saying I should get it.
  • image marylynn07:

I had the option of anesthesia or novocaine.  I chose novocaine because, like you, I was more afraid of the anesthesia. 

When is your procedure?  Did they give you any pre-procedure instructions (like don't eat anything for so many hours, etc.)?

Yes, I have instructions not to eat or drink anything for at least 8 hours before the surgery. I just realized that today is a holiday which is why they are not answer their phone. I have two impacted teeth which may be why I need anesthesia in reading responses. Gonna be a blast! NOT ;)

• image marylynn07:

I had the option of anesthesia or novocaine.  I chose novocaine because, like you, I was more afraid of the anesthesia. 

My procedure is this week, on Wednesday.

• This could have been written by me a month ago.  I have been terrified of anesthesia my whole life.  I put off getting my wisdom teeth out for years because of it.  I finally caved as I got cavities in 3 of the 4 since they were partially impacted and apparently I couldn't brush them properly.  I had novacaine before, and was fine, so I opted to go that route.  I got to the appointment, and was ok, until I started getting the shots.  After the 3rd one, I burst into tears at the thought I'd be awake while 2 of my teeth were being ripped out of my jaw. Plus, they had the instruments covered with a piece of paper, but I could still see them.  When she found out I hadn't eaten all day, she offered the general, and said I could do all 4 at once.  I said yes.  And am SO glad I did.  I think the horror stories of people acting like crazed morons when they woke up (like we heard about in HS) isn't so prevalant anymore because the drugs are better.  They gave me the IV, and what seemed like 5 seconds later, it was over.

So, if you are ok with being awake, ask for it.  But if you are nervous about surgery in general, I 100% would get the anesthesia.

HTH.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • image catsareniice1:
    image marylynn07:

Yes, I have instructions not to eat or drink anything for at least 8 hours before the surgery. I just realized that today is a holiday which is why they are not answer their phone. I have two impacted teeth which may be why I need anesthesia in reading responses. Gonna be a blast! NOT ;)

Given the instructions not to eat and impacted teeth, you are probably getting anesthesia.  Mine weren't impacted and I was told that they were "very small for my age," which made extracting them much easier.

Although I didn't elect anesthesia then (and still wouldn't becuase it wasn't major surgery), I did later have anesthesia for my appendectomy and was fine.  Just make sure you follow the dentist's/oral surgeon's orders.

• image minn85:

This could have been written by me a month ago.  I have been terrified of anesthesia my whole life.  I put off getting my wisdom teeth out for years because of it.  I finally caved as I got cavities in 3 of the 4 since they were partially impacted and apparently I couldn't brush them properly.  I had novacaine before, and was fine, so I opted to go that route.  I got to the appointment, and was ok, until I started getting the shots.  After the 3rd one, I burst into tears at the thought I'd be awake while 2 of my teeth were being ripped out of my jaw. Plus, they had the instruments covered with a piece of paper, but I could still see them.  When she found out I hadn't eaten all day, she offered the general, and said I could do all 4 at once.  I said yes.  And am SO glad I did.  I think the horror stories of people acting like crazed morons when they woke up (like we heard about in HS) isn't so prevalant anymore because the drugs are better.  They gave me the IV, and what seemed like 5 seconds later, it was over.

So, if you are ok with being awake, ask for it.  But if you are nervous about surgery in general, I 100% would get the anesthesia.

HTH.

Thanks for taking the time for posting your story. It helped me a LOT. I'm going for the anesthesia for sure! lol

I'll keep you guys posted :) 

• If it's a simple extraction or your wisdom teeth are already erupted, they'd be more likely to just use novacaine.

If they're impacted or deeply buried, all the novacaine in the world isn't going to help, and anesthesia is the way to go.

I had impacted wisdom teeth, and they had to break 2 apart to extract them. I was under anesthesia for the surgery, and it was fine.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Our little Irish rose came to us on March 5, 2010
    Don't drink the water.
    Disclaimer: I am not an MD. Please don't PM me with pregnancy-related questions. Ask your doctor.
  • Anesthesia all the way! I hate the noises when they work in my mouth, so even just hearing the breaking of teeth...:::shudder::: Knock me out, thank you very much.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was put to sleep for the first time during my wisdom teeth surgery and it was fine. I was nervous but it was fine. My wisdom teeth were impacted. Two days later I was eating regular food.
  • Usually you're given anesthesia if they are impacted. You can have just Novocaine even if they are impacted (I did) but your oral surgeon will probably think you're nuts. 
  • I have to get mine out and have been given the option of twilight sedation or just having the area numbed.  I'm going with just the numbing. 
  • image rosebud709:
    Anesthesia all the way! I hate the noises when they work in my mouth, so even just hearing the breaking of teeth...:::shudder::: Knock me out, thank you very much.

LOL

• I had anesthesia for my wisdom teeth, and wouldn't have had it any other way.  No way did I want to be awake for that!  Novacaine would numb your mouth, but you'd still be awake and able to feel pressure.  Some people might be okay with that, but I didn't want to be able to feel and hear what they were doing.  Much less anxiety being knocked out for me.

I've been put under 4 times, FWIW - it's not that bad.

• My wisdom teeth were impacted and infected.  They removed them with just novaicaine.

Worst pain of my life.

Also, no one should be conscious to hear someone take a nail and hammer like instrument and crack open one of their teeth, so they can remove one shard at a time.  Ever. 

• image attybride2:

My wisdom teeth were impacted and infected.  They removed them with just novaicaine.

Worst pain of my life.

Also, no one should be conscious to hear someone take a nail and hammer like instrument and crack open one of their teeth, so they can remove one shard at a time.  Ever. 

Oh God I am sold on the anesthesia. These posts are very helpful.

To those that have had anesthesia... how bad does anesthesia smell? I know that is the least of my worries lol  

• image catsareniice1:
    image attybride2:

My wisdom teeth were impacted and infected.  They removed them with just novaicaine.

Worst pain of my life.

To those that have had anesthesia... how bad does anesthesia smell? I know that is the least of my worries lol  

I don't remember smelling anything....

• image catsareniice1:
    image attybride2:

Worst pain of my life.

They didn't offer me a gas, they offered drugs in an IV to put me into twilight sedation.  Same thing when I had surgery to remove a breast lump, I had the option of an IV with drugs for twilight sedation or just a local.  I went with the local but a lot of people like the twilight.

• The oral surgeon gave me Novocaine, and I took some prescription pain killers about an hour before the appointment (maybe Vicodin?).  I was more afraid of the anesthesia than a little bit of pressure, which is all you get with the pain killers.  By the time I had my wisdom teeth pulled, I'd already had about 7 teeth pulled through the years (my baby teeth were way late coming out).

Absolutely no pain during the procedure, and I was a little loopy from the drugs.  I went out to the movies afterward with friends and it was fine, but I didn't get to eat popcorn (and I was kinda drooling).

ETA: One of mine was impacted, and I totally saw the reflection in their glasses of shattered teeth and blood.  Again, I was high on painkillers, and it was fascinating.  I also partially made the decision because my friend did anesthesia and she puked after.

• Some can be done with just Novocaine, others not.  Depends on how they are positioned and how much, if any, bone is above the tooth.
  • I've been put under twice, first for my breast :ahem: enhancement, and then for my wisdom teeth...my first experience wasn't pleasant waking up...I was in pain and crying because of it, I threw up several times, it was terrible. So I was a little apprehensive about my wisdom teeth...it was a walk in the park. I woke up feeling great, just hungry, and went home and went to bed. 

I don't know why the first time was so terrible, maybe the length of surgery? Maybe I was more prepared the second time, maybe boobs just hurt more then teeth...IDK, but I don't think there is anything to be worried about. 

• I was put under, don't be afraid. I would not have wanted to be awake, my wisdom teeth had to be cut out.

Also, they gave me gas to knock me out. I remember counting backwards, 10, 9 & I was out. I woke up & it was time to go home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker