Sex & Romance

Kidney Pain? Possibly Nuvaring Related?

Does anyone else ever feel just the slightest pain in your back, in the area of your kidneys?  It's so slight and subtle that I never really thought about it when I got it from time to time -- I don't even think I can remember when I first started noticing it -- but lately it's been a little more chronic.  It doesn't sting, it's not a sharp pain or pressure, it doesn't even cause me all that much discomfort.  It's just a very slight sort of... I dunno, aching?

It's so slight I never bothered to think about it before, but it's happening more and more often.  Still doesn't hurt that bad, but I'm noticing it every day or so.  Like I said, I don't remember exactly when it started, but probably some time after I started Nuvaring.

Re: Kidney Pain? Possibly Nuvaring Related?

• Is it on the right side?  I had to quit the nuvaring because it was causing gall bladder attacks...sounds sorta similar except my pain gradually got really bad.  I've never had a history of gall bladder problems, and I don't fit the mold of people who get gall bladder problems.  I thought it was my kidneys at first too, it started as kind of a general ache around that area, but then it eventually localized to right under my ribs on the right side where my gall bladder is.
    Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Whoa.

On. The. Nose.

I have a doctor's appt. next week to talk about switching to an IUD.  I'll mention it to her.

Wow.  It's a relief to know someone knows what I mean!  I figured if it kept getting worse I would see someone about it, but I hate using that "if it gets worse" criteria and then waiting until things actually get worse.  But it is so not painful I wasn't sure if I was imagining it!
  • I think you can do an IUD with no hormones or progesterone only.  I think he told me it's the high levels of estrogen that can trigger it.  When this happened to me and posted about it, no one had had this problem that responded.  So I'm not on any BC now and it's gone away.  He wanted to do an abdominal ultrasound, but said if it went away, we wouldn't to save me money...and sure enough it went away.  I'm using the Fertility Awareness Method now...no hormones.  Sounds like the IUD will be the way to go for you so long as it has no estrogen.
    Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
  • Do you have any history of kidney disease in your family?What I'm about to suggest may not even be it at all, but it's worth looking into. I have a disease called polycystic kidney disease. The pain you described sounded exactly like the pain I had, and it kept getting worse and worse. I didn't know I had it until one day I just woke up with unbearable pain in my kidney (it was infected, caused by the disease). It's a generally a genetic disease, but it causes chronic pain in your kidneys. They diagnose it with an ultrasound machine or sometimes with a CT scan. Your pain may only be caused by your birth control, but if it continues I would get your kidneys checked out.
  • Yikes! Last time I had kidney pain I ended up passing kidney stones!  They started as a dull ache but boy did it get worse!  It was also all just right sided pain.

I would just give the doc a call for piece of mind.

Visit The Nest!