Cincinnati Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Need a travel agent...anyone been to spain?

I just found out my niece's father is spending his last semester in Barcelona and my sis wants me and DH to go with her in April to visit him.  I soooo desperately want to go!  I started looking at possible flights and layovers, etc. and it's gotten to be very overwhelming.  

so...can anyone recommend a good travel agent?  I've never used one before so i want someone who can really help us plan this trip down to the detail.  

Also, has anyone been to Madrid or Barcelona?  Any recs on places i have to see, things to do or things to avoid?

THANKS! 

Re: Need a travel agent...anyone been to spain?

• Can't reco a TA since we've never used one but did go to Barcelona last year a few days before our cruise.

Things we did (in just 3 days!)...

• Las Ramblas - Shops, street performers, and food.  Wonderful for people watching. 
    • Mercat de la Boqueria - Open air market along Las Ramblas.  Good to grab some food to snack on or to make a picnic lunch.
    • Parc Guell - You'll need to take a bus there but has nice views of the city, interesting architecture, nice to walk around and enjoy.
    • La Sagrada Familia - Gaudi's famous church that's been under construction for like 200 years.  Extremely interesting architecture.
    • La Pedrera, Casa Batillo, Casa Amatller, and Casa Lleo Morera - If you really like Gaudi you can see even more of his buildings.   We just strolled by these but you can go in if you want.  They're all on the same street and very close to each other.
    • Gothic Quarters - Walked around here on our way to the Picasso Museum.  Very different architecture from the rest of the city...gothic :).
    • Museo Picasso - Check their website.  It was free after a certain time one day so we figured why not see the largest collection of this Master's artwork.
    • Palau Musica Catalana - Went to see a folk concert here.  They also have flemenco shows.  They have tours but for like the same price you could see a concert AND the interior so that's what we did.  Just bought tickets at the box office.
    • Beach and Olympic Village - Just walked around.  Too cold and early in the season to swim or we probably would have. 
    • Magic Fountain of Montjuic - Didn't get to go here as we planned but gets good reviews.  Free fountain shows each night (think Bellagio dancing waters).

As far as places to eat, we really enjoyed Ciudad Condal which was around the corner from our hotel at Plaza Catalunya.  They had good and relatively inexpensive tapas as well as breakfast.  We also wanted to go to Cal Pep for tapas as it came highly reco'd but didn't make it out there.

Oh, when you go to exchange your Euros, I'd reco only getting enough (with some cushion) to get to your hotel.  (The rates are worse here)  Then exchange more at ATM or Airport over there to get best exchange rate.

Hope that helps and have fun!

• My dad has used this TA for his last couple trips. He's scheduled a few trips throughout Europe and Asia with them, and has been very happy with them.

It's called First Discount Travel and it's in Blue Ash
    Travel agent: Jaylene Hatfield
    Phone number: 791-8359

Good luck!

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/2vjbzls.jpg[/IMG]
  • I've been to Barcelona twice and did alot of things listed above. We used Talgood Travel (located downtown).
  • I agree with Christine. DH and I went to Barcelona for part of our honeymoon last year.

One HUGE thing I recommend is doing the hop-on/hop-off bus tour. It will take you past the majority of the items listed above, and our hotel actually had a discount on the fare. Not only did the bus make navigating the city easy, on the tour you get to hear about the history/culture behind what you're seeing.

Have a great time!!!

PS We didn't use a travel agent, but DH did ALOT of research online

• If you are a member of AAA, I'm pretty sure they have travel agents in their local offices. You can also pick up a bunch of free books on your location!
  • image katpres06:

My dad has used this TA for his last couple trips. He's scheduled a few trips throughout Europe and Asia with them, and has been very happy with them.

It's called First Discount Travel and it's in Blue Ash
    Travel agent: Jaylene Hatfield
    Phone number: 791-8359

Good luck!

Wev'e used Holly at FDT for several trips and always had a good experience. We haven't been to Spain though... I'm jealous!

The Fluffy Cat says... "Boxes are the best toys ever invented!"