Detroit Nesties

Re: Clorox wipes on Hardwood floors

• i do it. although my hardwoods aren't original ... i think they're laminate. but i use the wipes on my floors all the time.
    ~*~ Sorry for any typo's. Replying from an Android device. ~*~

• I do it too. Only on spills tho, not to like wash the floor.
  • I suggest windex vs. clorox to prevent a film or streaks.  I believe they make wipes, but for the most part I use a spray bottle and paper towels or a microfiber mop.  I use clorox wipes in a pinch if needed but for the most part I clean my wood floors with windex. 
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker
    Steph and Jeff's Shutterfly Website
    ~ Stephanie & Jeffrey ~ 9.15.2007
  • Yeah, I use them on mine too.  Only on spills or when the dog pees.  Never hurt it.  And it's easy to grab and clean with!
  • Thanks ladies- our dog was diagnosed with parvo and we need to decontaminate our house with bleach on any surface that can handle it (apparently the only thing that can kill the parvo virus). Not sure how to do the carpet but at least the hardwood can be cleaned.
  • awe...the poor thing.  Thoughts and prayers.  Parvo is really rough to deal with.
  • Just don't put straight up bleach (diluted or not) on your hardwood because it will ruin your finish.  If the wipes you are using have bleach in them then I wouldn't use them or it will also ruin the finish in those areas.  You can try a steam mop.  I would also pay to have your carpets cleaned and your furniture.

My mom dealt with this too.  After a month indoors the virus loses the ability to infect your dog (or others).  If you can keep the dog in clean area in the home that is ideal.  The more you clean the weaker the virus will get.  Outdoors it is tougher because it will linger for a minimum of 5 months.  The deep freeze doesn't help kill, it more preserves it.  When spring comes, if you have a sunny yard it will kill the virus off faster, if not then plan on 7 months of contamination....you may have to resort to killing your grass.  If the virus just happened you might get lucky if the stool was sitting on top of the snow.  You can get rid of it and chances are your yard will be okay.  Unfortunately for my mom this happened to her in the spring so the puppy couldn't play in the yard for a whole summer  :(

I am sure you have done this, but if your dog has been in other yards I would let them know.  Most dogs are vaccinated for this, but some may not be.

Good luck!

• Not sure if it'll work or not but a few years ago we found a couple fleas on our older dog, we instantly cleaned the apartment and rented a steam cleaner from Kroger (or walmart, meijer, etc).. it cleaned our carpets and furniture REALLY well. maybe that'll help with removing that parvo.
    ~*~ Sorry for any typo's. Replying from an Android device. ~*~

• These wipes are bleach based:  http://cloroxprofessional.com/products/germicidal_wipes.shtml

They are commercial so you will have to most likely order online.  I would NOT use them on your floors.

• image lilnephie:

These wipes are bleach based:  http://cloroxprofessional.com/products/germicidal_wipes.shtml

They are commercial so you will have to most likely order online.  I would NOT use them on your floors.

Thanks! I'm considering trying to find a strong UV light for our carpet. Not sure how much it will help but I don't think it will hurt.

• image LinZem:
    image lilnephie:

These wipes are bleach based:  http://cloroxprofessional.com/products/germicidal_wipes.shtml

Thanks! I'm considering trying to find a strong UV light for our carpet. Not sure how much it will help but I don't think it will hurt.

Unless you can get a tall work light style this would be pointless because parvo needs direct sunlight for days to kill off.  Is your whole house carpet?  if not keep the pup off the carpet for a couple of months.  Any rugs I would just replace or wash if possible.

• image lilnephie:
    image LinZem:
    image lilnephie:

Unless you can get a tall work light style this would be pointless because parvo needs direct sunlight for days to kill off.  Is your whole house carpet?  if not keep the pup off the carpet for a couple of months.  Any rugs I would just replace or wash if possible.

Everything but our kitchen and entry is carpet. He's vomited on both the carpet in our family room and the carpet in our bedroom. We have leather couches that I don't really know how to clean either. Unfortunately most surfaces he's been in contact with are not bleachable. We did bleach or toss all toys bedding and food dishes.

• Unfortunately your options are slim with carpet.  You may have to restrict the pup to the kitchen for a month.