Austin Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

home remedy for smashed finger?

i slammed the tip of my index finger in my car door today and now it's a beautiful purple/black color, is throbbing (it's been about 5 hours), and is extremely sensitive to any touch, including typing. anything i can/should do? ken wants to drill a hole in the nail to release the blood causing the pressure, but he's a mechanic not a doctor. :P aaaand i don't have health insurance until february. home remedies appreciated! and sympathy - it hurts! Crying

Re: home remedy for smashed finger?

• No remedies but hugs to you. It sounds painful.  Left HugRight Hug

• Ouch!  Hope it gets better!  My two cents...

I slammed my thumb in a door recently and ended up losing the whole nail later I smashed it so hard.  I kept it clean and rinsed with peroxide a lot.  I also put that neosporin + pain (I swear the plus pain makes a difference!) on it every time it was throbbing.  Also, if you can stand to lay your finger on some ice, that helped too. 

Blog
    TTC #1 since February 2011
    BFP #1 1/14/12 EDD 9/24/12 m/c at 8w4d on 2/20/12
    March 2012- Dx with PCOS, started metformin
    July 2012- SA completely normal
  • image JezcaM:
    . . . ken wants to drill a hole in the nail to release the blood causing the pressure, but he's a mechanic not a doctor. :P . . . 

I found these suggestions online.  Unfortunately, that drill-through-the-nail thing is one of them -- gross!  I prescribe plenty of tequila or something prior to that little operation, if it comes to it.

Hope your finger feels better soon! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I totally drilled a hole through my nail once when I did that.  It relieved SO much of the pressure and made it feel better.  Tips: Ice it before hand- it will reduce the swelling.  Also, drill closer to the top of the nail- the hole will stay there the whole time your nail grows out. 

I hope you fell better!

• image FireChiefsBride:

I totally drilled a hole through my nail once when I did that.  It relieved SO much of the pressure and made it feel better.  Tips: Ice it before hand- it will reduce the swelling.  Also, drill closer to the top of the nail- the hole will stay there the whole time your nail grows out. 

I hope you fell better!

Holy mother of cheese, I'm nauseous. That sounds TERRIBLE!

(Sorry, that's not helping, huh?)

I hope you feel better ASAP!

• Do you have a clinic near you (even a CVS Minute Clinic)? I would not be able to drill a hole in my own nail. Yikes! Feel better.

Oh yeah, my friend who did this said that her doctor burnt a hole and told her that using a match tip would work for the lay person. :O

Again, this is not from personal experience. 

Business Cat. image
  • please don't drill a hole by yourself!  i have admitted many people that have tried that type of home remedy and end up with a skin infection.  true, you could try to sterilize it at home but it would be difficult to sterilize the drill, surrounding skin etc.  Plus, there's such a small margin of error and you could lose control and cause more bleeding than necessary. 

put ice on it every 2-4 hours.  take ibuprofen or tylenol to decrease the inflammation.  if you see that the area is not getting enough circulation because of the pressure, go to the ER.  

i hope you feel better.  

image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i just reread your post and saw you don't have insurance.  still, the cost of having to treat an infection or other DIY complications are much more expensive.  i can only imagine how painful that is.  if you are seriously in pain, i can take a look at it. 
    image image image image
  • image romigu:

please don't drill a hole by yourself!  i have admitted many people that have tried that type of home remedy and end up with a skin infection.  true, you could try to sterilize it at home but it would be difficult to sterilize the drill, surrounding skin etc.  Plus, there's such a small margin of error and you could lose control and cause more bleeding than necessary. 

put ice on it every 2-4 hours.  take ibuprofen or tylenol to decrease the inflammation.  if you see that the area is not getting enough circulation because of the pressure, go to the ER.  

i hope you feel better.  

I was going to recommend Tylenol or Motrin too (and discourage home drilling) You could consider the Pflugerville or Round Rock St Davids Urgent Care clinics if needed. Less of a bill than the ER with the same fantastic doctors ;)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • i totally forgot about urgent care clinics.  that's a great idea too.  my hospital needs one of those. 
    image image image image
  • Well at least you have feeling to it.  That's a good thing.  I would just ice the heck out of it to numb it for now so you won't think about it.  And take some asprin.  Hope it feels better today.
  • I don't have any recs, but how's it doing today?

the thought of drilling a hole in my nail almost made me lose my lunch. :/ 

merry everything!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image ssinca:

the thought of drilling a hole in my nail almost made me lose my lunch. :/ 

Seriously! I was totally freaked out by that, and was thinking about it all day. I was literally relieved to see Romigu saying not to do it! Now if I'm ever in that situation, I won't have to throw up over thinking about drilling a hole in my fingernail Wink

• image SaraLouiseBride08:
     Now if I'm ever in that situation, I won't have to throw up over thinking about drilling a hole in my fingernail Wink

for sure! 

merry everything!

• i think it's a little better today, or maybe i'm getting used to it.

so i don't know if this is easier to swallow, but we wouldn't actually use a drill - just the drill bit. by hand we'd twist it back and forth until it penetrated the nail. but i don't have the guts to do that at this point. :)

• image JezcaM:

just the drill bit. 

::shudder:: 

merry everything!

• It was the first time I'd had a brother- my BIL- and I lived with them.  He was full of all sorts of "helpful" advice.  Smile

Except for the time I jammed my toe on a wall corner.  He told me to pull it really hard to snap it back in place.  He was wrong.  I think it was broken.  I couldn't breathe for the pain.

But anyways- the drill thing did work.  I'm just wondering what happened with Jezca...

• image JezcaM:

i think it's a little better today, or maybe i'm getting used to it.

so i don't know if this is easier to swallow, but we wouldn't actually use a drill - just the drill bit. by hand we'd twist it back and forth until it penetrated the nail. but i don't have the guts to do that at this point. :)

You can try but that didn't work for me.  I also tried a needle for awhile, and then heated the needle.  This was over a day or two, though.

How is it feeling?

• it feels ok if i don't touch/use it. it's not throbbing anymore.