Austin Nesties

home remedy for smashed finger?

i slammed the tip of my index finger in my car door today and now it's a beautiful purple/black color, is throbbing (it's been about 5 hours), and is extremely sensitive to any touch, including typing. anything i can/should do? ken wants to drill a hole in the nail to release the blood causing the pressure, but he's a mechanic not a doctor. :P aaaand i don't have health insurance until february. home remedies appreciated! and sympathy - it hurts! Crying

Re: home remedy for smashed finger?

• No remedies but hugs to you. It sounds painful.  Left HugRight Hug

• Ouch!  Hope it gets better!  My two cents...

I slammed my thumb in a door recently and ended up losing the whole nail later I smashed it so hard.  I kept it clean and rinsed with peroxide a lot.  I also put that neosporin + pain (I swear the plus pain makes a difference!) on it every time it was throbbing.  Also, if you can stand to lay your finger on some ice, that helped too. 

Blog
    TTC #1 since February 2011
    BFP #1 1/14/12 EDD 9/24/12 m/c at 8w4d on 2/20/12
    March 2012- Dx with PCOS, started metformin
    July 2012- SA completely normal
  • image JezcaM:
    . . . ken wants to drill a hole in the nail to release the blood causing the pressure, but he's a mechanic not a doctor. :P . . . 

I found these suggestions online.  Unfortunately, that drill-through-the-nail thing is one of them -- gross!  I prescribe plenty of tequila or something prior to that little operation, if it comes to it.

Hope your finger feels better soon! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I totally drilled a hole through my nail once when I did that.  It relieved SO much of the pressure and made it feel better.  Tips: Ice it before hand- it will reduce the swelling.  Also, drill closer to the top of the nail- the hole will stay there the whole time your nail grows out. 

I hope you fell better!

• image FireChiefsBride:

I totally drilled a hole through my nail once when I did that.  It relieved SO much of the pressure and made it feel better.  Tips: Ice it before hand- it will reduce the swelling.  Also, drill closer to the top of the nail- the hole will stay there the whole time your nail grows out. 

I hope you fell better!

Holy mother of cheese, I'm nauseous. That sounds TERRIBLE!

(Sorry, that's not helping, huh?)

I hope you feel better ASAP!

• Do you have a clinic near you (even a CVS Minute Clinic)? I would not be able to drill a hole in my own nail. Yikes! Feel better.

Oh yeah, my friend who did this said that her doctor burnt a hole and told her that using a match tip would work for the lay person. :O

Again, this is not from personal experience. 

Business Cat. image
  • please don't drill a hole by yourself!  i have admitted many people that have tried that type of home remedy and end up with a skin infection.  true, you could try to sterilize it at home but it would be difficult to sterilize the drill, surrounding skin etc.  Plus, there's such a small margin of error and you could lose control and cause more bleeding than necessary. 

put ice on it every 2-4 hours.  take ibuprofen or tylenol to decrease the inflammation.  if you see that the area is not getting enough circulation because of the pressure, go to the ER.  

i hope you feel better.  

image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i just reread your post and saw you don't have insurance.  still, the cost of having to treat an infection or other DIY complications are much more expensive.  i can only imagine how painful that is.  if you are seriously in pain, i can take a look at it. 
    image image image image
  • image romigu:

please don't drill a hole by yourself!  i have admitted many people that have tried that type of home remedy and end up with a skin infection.  true, you could try to sterilize it at home but it would be difficult to sterilize the drill, surrounding skin etc.  Plus, there's such a small margin of error and you could lose control and cause more bleeding than necessary. 

put ice on it every 2-4 hours.  take ibuprofen or tylenol to decrease the inflammation.  if you see that the area is not getting enough circulation because of the pressure, go to the ER.  

i hope you feel better.  

I was going to recommend Tylenol or Motrin too (and discourage home drilling) You could consider the Pflugerville or Round Rock St Davids Urgent Care clinics if needed. Less of a bill than the ER with the same fantastic doctors ;)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • i totally forgot about urgent care clinics.  that's a great idea too.  my hospital needs one of those. 
    image image image image
  • Well at least you have feeling to it.  That's a good thing.  I would just ice the heck out of it to numb it for now so you won't think about it.  And take some asprin.  Hope it feels better today.
  • I don't have any recs, but how's it doing today?

the thought of drilling a hole in my nail almost made me lose my lunch. :/ 

merry everything!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image ssinca:

the thought of drilling a hole in my nail almost made me lose my lunch. :/ 

Seriously! I was totally freaked out by that, and was thinking about it all day. I was literally relieved to see Romigu saying not to do it! Now if I'm ever in that situation, I won't have to throw up over thinking about drilling a hole in my fingernail Wink

• image SaraLouiseBride08:
     Now if I'm ever in that situation, I won't have to throw up over thinking about drilling a hole in my fingernail Wink

for sure! 

merry everything!

• i think it's a little better today, or maybe i'm getting used to it.

so i don't know if this is easier to swallow, but we wouldn't actually use a drill - just the drill bit. by hand we'd twist it back and forth until it penetrated the nail. but i don't have the guts to do that at this point. :)

• image JezcaM:

just the drill bit. 

::shudder:: 

merry everything!

• It was the first time I'd had a brother- my BIL- and I lived with them.  He was full of all sorts of "helpful" advice.  Smile

Except for the time I jammed my toe on a wall corner.  He told me to pull it really hard to snap it back in place.  He was wrong.  I think it was broken.  I couldn't breathe for the pain.

But anyways- the drill thing did work.  I'm just wondering what happened with Jezca...

• image JezcaM:

i think it's a little better today, or maybe i'm getting used to it.

so i don't know if this is easier to swallow, but we wouldn't actually use a drill - just the drill bit. by hand we'd twist it back and forth until it penetrated the nail. but i don't have the guts to do that at this point. :)

You can try but that didn't work for me.  I also tried a needle for awhile, and then heated the needle.  This was over a day or two, though.

How is it feeling?

• it feels ok if i don't touch/use it. it's not throbbing anymore.