D.C. Area Nesties

NoVA ladies: how to get on HOV 395 from Pentagon City?

This evening DH will drop off his mom at National Airport around 4:30 pm.  He will have our baby with him.  I work in Fed. Triangle. 

I want to propose to him that I metro to Pentagon City, he drives from the aiport to there, grabs me on Hayes Street, and then... somehow get on HOV south on 395 from there to go home (Springfield). 

I know there is a way - my dad has done it. The one time I tried to do it I ended up on a one way access road going around the Pentagon parking lot and I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to be there.  Embarrassed

My dad says take a right on Army/Navy Dr. from Hayes.  Then take a left on - he thinks - Fern St.  (he says or maybe Eades).  And it's a - he thinks - a quick left to somehow pick up HOV from there - sort of under the highway at that point.

Anyone know how to do this?

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.

Re: NoVA ladies: how to get on HOV 395 from Pentagon City?

• Hmm... I know the HOV to go NORTH is the way your dad described, only once you turn left at Fern St, the exit is on the right hand side at the stop sign. I've never noticed if there is also an exit to go south on 395 on the left. I'll see if I can't find more specific directions...
    carrie ~ me-at-carrie.cc ~ 4/21/2007
    * blog * first baby blog * baby 2.0 blog * twitter *

IMG_0578

• Your dad is right! Hopefully this will paste below:

IMG_0578

• Just asked a coworker.  the blue arrows on the map - he says - gets you to regular 395.  He drew some other arrows for me - off of Fern St.  But thank you for that map as a reference point!!
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Ok, good! :) Good luck!!

IMG_0578

• I know this is futile now, but wanted to post: I've never done the pentagon city entrance either, I always backtrack on 1 or 27 and get on HOV from the other side of the pentagon.  But according to the HOV website: 

Southbound entrancesEads StreetWashington BoulevardFranconia - Springfield ParkwayNorth of Fairfax County Parkway

"They say with time it gets better. Not true. With time you only get used to it."
  • Success!  From Army Navy Drive, turn onto Fern St.  Go under the highway, then turn right onto the one way Access Road.  Stay in the right lane, take the next right, then the next right and it shoots you up there going south.  (essentially you're doing a loop-dee-do) We were home in about fiftenn minutes.  Huzzah!