Money Matters

To eat the pickles or not?

I went to the grocery store yesterday, and one of the things I bought was a jar of pickles.  This is the same brand of pickles I always buy, but for some reason, when DH put them away, he didn't put them in the fridge...where they are supposed to be.  I found them in the cupboard this morning (roughly 24 hours after I bought them), and put them in the fridge at that time.  However, I'm not sure if I want to eat them.

What would you do?

ETA: The package says, "Always keep refrigerated."

[Poll]

Re: To eat the pickles or not?

• arent pickles on the shelf in the grocery store? ie. - not in the refrigerator?
  • Aren't most pickles shelf-stable until they're opened?  What does the package say?  If it says "refrigerate after opening" then you should be fine as long as they aren't opened.
  • In the grocery store...most jars of pickles aren't refrigerated. If they haven't been opened then they should still be good.
  • I really cannot imagine a situation where I would ever throw out a pickle in lieu of eating it.  ::nom nom nom::

Most great white bearopus attacks occur in only 4 inches of water.
  • They're only ever sold on store shelves.  They're good out of the fridge until opened.
  • The pickles were purchased in the refrigerated section of the store and say "Always keep refrigerated."
  • image Ms.Wax:
    The pickles were purchased in the refrigerated section of the store and say "Always keep refrigerated."

I say taste one!

• are they organic? or some other special thing?
  • Blech - I never buy the shelf-stable pickles. Always the refrigerated ones, either Bubbie's or a local brand. That said, I'd still eat them if they'd been left out for a day. They're sealed and in brine; one day will not hurt them.

• Personally I'm with the PP who said there's no possible reason I'd ever choose not to eat a pickle. 

But there's one caveat to that.  If I were pregnant, and they had been unrefrigerated and said "always keep refrigerated," I'd make my husband go get me more and I'd skip these.

7/21/2007 :)

imageimageimage

Deductive reasoning isn't a conservative or liberal attribute. ~epphd
  • image sonicesosmart:

Blech - I never buy the shelf-stable pickles. Always the refrigerated ones, either Bubbie's or a local brand. That said, I'd still eat them if they'd been left out for a day. They're sealed and in brine; one day will not hurt them.

Really? I've never see refrigerated pickles at my grocery store...?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They are just Clausen pickles.  I like them better than the shelf-stable ones because they are crunchy, not mushy.
  • image sonicesosmart:

Blech - I never buy the shelf-stable pickles. Always the refrigerated ones, either Bubbie's or a local brand. That said, I'd still eat them if they'd been left out for a day. They're sealed and in brine; one day will not hurt them.

this, exactly.

I'm surprised how many of you don't know there are pickles in the refrigerator section!

The shelf pickle section is like the shelf salsa section at most stores to me. The good stuff is in the cold!

• image Ms.Wax:
    The pickles were purchased in the refrigerated section of the store and say "Always keep refrigerated."

I'm guessing this is the company that touts the fact that they refrigerate their pickles as a marketing ploy/differentiation strategy.

• Do you guys not ever buy Claussen pickels??  Those are the best!!  And they're always refrigerated.

I kind of suspect, though, that the "always keep refrigerated" is more for keeping them fresh, not for keeping them safe to eat.  I would guess that after only 24 hours unrefrigerated, they're most likely fine.  I might call the company, though, and see what they say.  Or just try one, and if it tastes off throw the rest away.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • image Alisha_A:
    image sonicesosmart:

this, exactly.

I'm surprised how many of you don't know there are pickles in the refrigerator section!

The shelf pickle section is like the shelf salsa section at most stores to me. The good stuff is in the cold!

Exactly! The refrigerated pickles are a nice, natural green color - not neon inside - and are so much crunchier and fresher tasting. It's not a marketing ploy.

I'd still eat the pickles. Embarrassed

• image jtx:

image Ms.Wax:

I'm guessing this is the company that touts the fact that they refrigerate their pickles as a marketing ploy/differentiation strategy.

No, they're pickleld cold as well.  I saw it on the TV show Unwrapped.  They're similar to homemade icebox pickles and have a different texture and flavor.

• image jtx:

image Ms.Wax:

No, it's not just a marketing thing. There's no preservatives in them and they taste amazing.  Shelf stable pickes are disgusting.  Refridgerated pickles are good.  It's not just a store brand/name brand mental difference.  They are two entirely different food products.

How is it that nobody here ever buys Claussen pickles? They are really good - try them!

I think they are probably fine if the jar was never opened and it was just 24 hours.  Unless you are pregnant or have some other health concern.

• Oh, and the answer the OP's question.  We one time did the same thing.  The brine was unusually cloudy, so there was some change, but we ate them and did not get sick.  The jar was unopened when it was left out.
  • image stephriz:
    image jtx:

image Ms.Wax:

No, they're pickleld cold as well.  I saw it on the TV show Unwrapped.  They're similar to homemade icebox pickles and have a different texture and flavor.

Exactly. They're not cooked to oblivion. Mmm, our neighborhood deli gives out fresh pickle spears with the sandwiches. So good. Damn it, now I want a pickle!

• image stephriz:
    image jtx:

image Ms.Wax:

Ah.  I think I just eat my pickles too quickly to be able to tell the difference, lol.

• image EastSideFluffy:
    How is it that nobody here ever buys Claussen pickles? They are really good - try them!

I freaking love them!  We have some homemade pickles right now that we got as a gift, but when they're done, we'll be back to Claussen.  YUM.  I once ate whole jar in like 2 days.  We won't discuss the subsequent bloating.

Little Bridey Twist, begging for a bowl of Chobani. Just like in the orphanages of yore.
  • image stephriz:
    image jtx:

image Ms.Wax:

This.  I do a little canning, and the 'ice box' pickles you have to keep cold and are only supposed to last a month or so in the 'fridge.  The shelf stable kind can sit anywhere (unopened) for ages.

Give 'em a sniff and a small taste...my guess is they should be ok since they were only out of the fridge for 24 hours.  It's not like it's dairy...all that vinegar should keep them ok for that short period.

• My grandmother bought me some of refrigerated pickles for christmas one year - she had them wrapped and I'm not sure how long. I tried a few, but they were skunked - like beer that's been in and out of the cold too much. I didn't get sick, they just didn't taste good.
    image Anniversary
  • Considering that I have eaten eggs that I have left in the pantry overnight, I know that I would do the same with the pickles.   I really do want to buy some of that type, but I am too cheap and eat too many pickles to justfiy the expense. 

The brine will keep them safe, and as long as you will eat them within the freshness date you will not see much difference.

• image fumbalina:

Considering that I have eaten eggs that I have left in the pantry overnight, I know that I would do the same with the pickles.   I really do want to buy some of that type, but I am too cheap and eat too many pickles to justfiy the expense. 

The brine will keep them safe, and as long as you will eat them within the freshness date you will not see much difference.

Eggs are completely fine if left out at room temperature. That's actually how they're commonly stored in most parts of the world. They last longer refrigerated, but you could easily leave a carton of eggs out for a week with no freshness issues (again, this is assuming ambient temperature of around 70 F - if they were left in a hot car, you may have a problem Wink.)

Also, as said above, you cannot just leave the pickles out. Yes, they're probably fine after being left out - sealed - for 24 hours. I strongly disagree, though, with the statement that they'd be fine until the "use by" date. Ick!